ban on food to go still strict? what beverages svailable on Dawn buffet?

mef_57

My last cruising was before a lot of strictures were put in place including NCL's 2015 ban on food leaving the eating establishment. Is this still the case? I was hoping for a little cheese from the buffet with wine on the balcony.

Also, what beverages are available from the buffet? I.e. juice, lemonade, iced tea?

Thanks for any insight.

no longer in effect, you can bring as much as you want back to the cabin. Water, lemonade and ice tea is always available. Orange/apple juice is only there during breakfast.

mdr, o'sheehan's and other restaurants will not allow food to go

We just got off the Dawn last week and had no problem getting food to take back to our room. Favorites were dessert from Cagneys or MDR.....very nice for a late night treat after an evening 'out'.

Also for an easy breakfast on our balcony my DH would go to the buffet, grab a couple of bagels, cream cheese & some bacon to bring back to our room covered by a second plate. (I know...we could have gotten bagels with free room service but who knows what time we were going to wake up???)

Thanks all. I had seen posts of people bringing drinks back from the bar, so wanted to be sure. I expect a few ziplock bags will come in handy. I don't want to drop food on carpet and make more work for anyone.too bad wheat is a limited consumable, or the breakfast bagel would work a treat. Solo traveler here, so I either source my own, or set the alarm for room service.

Thanks for the beverage list.

We cruised on NCL twice in 2015, twice in 2016, and twice in 2017. We have never even heard a rule about taking out food. How would you enforce it at the buffet?

There was a short time period where they were trying to enforce this. As I recall, it was more a complaint of people leaving dirty dishes out in their hallways that started this policy. You should leave the dishes in your room for your steward to clear.

When we asked for the desserts from Cagney's or the MDR 'to go', they came with a clear plate cover. From the buffet we just put another plate upside down over the top. When we were done with them we just stacked them nicely for our steward to clear the next morning and had no problems.

On the Escape last week, I asked for a slice of cheesecake to go from one of the MDR's... The server happily got me a plate with my cheesecake, complete with a cover, and another server went out of his way to get me a fork rolled up in a napkin to take with me.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Forums mobile app

Only foreseen difficulty is the art of balancing the diet of buffet foods on one or more plates and making

the trek back to your stateroom - elevator buttons a real challenge - stairs not so much - but now the

real devil of an act using you key room card to enter your cabin while the door is waiting to slam shut

the moment you release your hand from it - don't let something hit you in the behinder.

I bring along a small tray from a fast food venue and this makes the effort a breeze - the tray takes

up virtually no space in the luggage and is not a weight or security issue.

You didn't know that Wendy's MacDonald's Culver's DQ BK had tray service on ships ?

Think outside of Jack in the Box - the drive thru has the answer to Room Service !

Hint to remember the silverware wrapped in the napkin unless you like finger food !

AND when finished hide the tray for the next foray at the galley !

Be nice the cabin steward will take care of the dirty dishes silverware and napkin.

The article that got me asking.https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=6346

It still seems to come up at times as there are also posts about some folks not being allowed to take wings out from the pub.

I won't be trekking platefuls to my room, but thanks for the warnings and tips.

We cruised on NCL twice in 2015, twice in 2016, and twice in 2017. We have never even heard a rule about taking out food. How would you enforce it at the buffet?

It was very short lived; maybe a month or so The reasoning was: if they didn't allow food to be brought to the room, more people would pay the service charge for room service. so much stink was raised it was dropped almost as soon as it was started.

It was very short lived; maybe a month or so The reasoning was: if they didn't allow food to be brought to the room, more people would pay the service charge for room service. so much stink was raised it was dropped almost as soon as it was started.

I thought as much, but when searching, it seems some servers still abide by it....or did in 2017.

Only foreseen difficulty is the art of balancing the diet of buffet foods on one or more plates and making

the trek back to your stateroom - elevator buttons a real challenge - stairs not so much - but now the

real devil of an act using you key room card to enter your cabin while the door is waiting to slam shut

the moment you release your hand from it - don't let something hit you in the behinder.

I bring along a small tray from a fast food venue and this makes the effort a breeze - the tray takes

up virtually no space in the luggage and is not a weight or security issue.

You didn't know that Wendy's MacDonald's Culver's DQ BK had tray service on ships ?

Think outside of Jack in the Box - the drive thru has the answer to Room Service !

Hint to remember the silverware wrapped in the napkin unless you like finger food !

AND when finished hide the tray for the next foray at the galley !

Be nice the cabin steward will take care of the dirty dishes silverware and napkin.

I'd be standing next to you in the elevator looking at a slice of pizza on your McDonald's tray asking why McDonalds is selling pizza again.

Sounds just like NCL, anything to force some more nickles and dimes from the passengers.

Yep, just like RCCI now does: they have added a $7.95 cent service charge for room service or so I have been told and just like most hotels. Everyone is out to get us. If we don't want to pay, we don't order room service. It is as simple as that. :rolleyes: