Behavior on Carnival ships ?

Winchester Ranger

I have been cruising since 2007 and would say the behavior has remained pretty consistent. You run into rude people everywhere, so I discount that. The biggest difference I have seen is more casual in MDR.

What do you consider bad behavior?

Beer bong on the Lido? Valor 2007

A proposal to end a fight for the couple next door with the door propped open and the naughty police outside the next morning. Victory 2013

Drunk woman tried to pick up my DH at Alchemy. Sunshine 2016

In 16 cruises I have seen security a handful of times have to speak to someone. But none of this has been an issue for us and over the last decade plus, nothing significant has changed - it’s a fun and family oriented cruiseline.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You started a thread 4 years ago asking this same question and wrote of your experience aboard the Miracle. Why? 4 years have passed so I don't understand your saying the bad behavior is " new " as you've obviously had this opinion for years.

I see you sail Cunard and NCL, perhaps they are a better fit for you.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2016229

"

Winchester Ranger

Cool Cruiser

465 Posts

Joined Dec 2005

Posted March 27th, 2014, 03:45 PM

We sailed on Miracle back when she was new and sailing out of Baltimore, but haven't sailed on a Carnival ship since. I enjoyed that cruise probably more than any I have been on since, in spite of paying for fancy suites and all kinds of upgrades - Miracle was the best, and the passengers who sailed with us were really nice people, quiet and well behaved.

In the years that have passed all I ever seem to hear about is bad behavior on Carnival ships (low prices maybe ?) and YouTube seems to be littered with nasty Carnival fight videos.

So is this all being exaggerated, or have any regular cruisers noticed a change over recent years?"

Great detective work!

Sent from my LG-H872 using Tapatalk

One of the best cruises we ever had was back on Miracle when she was brand new and sailing out of Baltimore (yes Baltimore) but we have been hesitant to go back to Carnival following all the reports and videos of bad behavior on the ships.

I’d be grateful for an honest assessment from recent cruisers - does Carnival deserve its new reputation ?

It mostly depends on the time of year.

Cruised 5 times over the last 4 years. I've seen plenty of rude people, selfish people, people who don't think the rules apply to them but I've never seen obscene behavior that has turned me off to Carnival. I see the same type of behavior at the local mall, the grocery store, high school sporting events, the beach, etc. When you get 3,000+ people on a floating city, there are going to be clashes somewhere. It happens on all cruise lines, it's just in some peoples blood.

Glad to see the OP has been outed with his 4-year cycle of pejorative posts.

In the past year I've been on a 3-day and a 4-day (both Liberty out of Canaveral), which nominally should be the rowdy-crowd sailings. Neither had anything like that - if anything, the upper open decks cleared out quite early, and even the Promenade deck wasn't that busy after 10pm-ish.

Yeah, first or second day on one of them a bachelorette party of young 20-somethings was hanging around the pool buying shots and fruity drinks, but they weren't rowdy enough to even notice they were there - they were just having fun.

I dunno, maybe I'm just not old and grumpy enough to be offended by other people having fun...

• Like 1

In my cruises, I could count on one hand the number of people that I wish weren't there. Pretty darn good odds when you're on with thousands of people.

It's an annoying false image that Carnival is probably never going to shake. What's worse is many of the people saying it will tell you that Royal Carribean is some epitome of high class.

I agree with everyone saying that CCL is no howdier than other lines. When I've seen problems, it is usually confined to one group or family. Not a whole lot you can do with loud, obnoxious people.

I find negative, griping people to be a lot more annoying than someone being a bit loud while having FUN. The worse is to be seated with someone at brunch (or next to someone) who spends the entire time saying how much they hate the cruise. I'm like - "it's the second day of the cruise - how could it be that bad??"

One of the best cruises we ever had was back on Miracle when she was brand new and sailing out of Baltimore (yes Baltimore) but we have been hesitant to go back to Carnival following all the reports and videos of bad behavior on the ships.

I’d be grateful for an honest assessment from recent cruisers - does Carnival deserve its new reputation ?

Beginning in the late 80's we cruised mostly with Celebrity and a few other cruise lines. In early 2000 we decided to try the Carnival Legend from NY based on suggestions from a couple of family members. We went kicking and screaming....but in 2019 we will be cruising on the Carnival Pride from Baltimore for the 6th time and the 10th Carnival cruise in total.

Many people we know sort of cringe/grimace when we mention sailing with Carnival and they base their reasoning on the same thing we did....rowdy, rude, drunks running all over the ships. I can say I've never seen anything like that. We've seen people having fun, maybe one or two groups who have had a few too many drinks, but that's about it. We saw the same thing on Celebrity, RCCL, NCL, etc. I think you would be more apt to see rowdy, obnoxious behavior on 3-4 day cruises.

For us, Carnival fits the bill with pricing, cabin size, itineraries (well, we don't really cruise for the itineraries), crew, etc. For a quick, relaxing getaway, we enjoy Carnival, especially the Carnival Pride.

We were on the Valor over Labor Day. We didn't see any bad behavior in the public spaces. It was quite tame around the aft pool, in the Red Frog Pub, and in the dining rooms, etc.

That being said, we had really rude neighbors on Lido Deck. Blasting a boom box all day on the sea days out on their balcony, talking loudly out in the hall very early in the morning and late at night, and slamming the cabin door every darn time were what we had to put up with. Apparently, we were berthed in the middle of a big group and they seemed to want to party in their cabins, not in the public spaces. I came home needing to get some rest as there was none to be had in our cabin, during the day or at night.

On cruises, outside of a few obnoxious drunks staggering around and some typical rude folks, I've seen much worse at Walt Disney World and Las Vegas. Much worse.

Anywhere you are, there is going to be the same percentage of unpleasant people.

I just got off the Ecstacy Sunday and saw something way out of hand on the smoking deck. But everyone else was pretty cool though.

If security had got there 5 minutes sooner, those 2 people would have undoubtedly been disembarked that next morning.

It was two gals by the way!

every saturday morning about 7am i go to the cruise cam at the port of galveston and watch the freedom come in --ive observed many times that police board the ship on the crew ramp and come back off with people in handcuffs -cant tell if they are crew or passengers

That may be because the police are notified of any passengers with open warrants. They don't block them from boarding (and don't even tell them), but they will arrest them before debarking

I have seen many funny people such as the guys in the hot tub drinking from wine bottles in the blue jeans and one in his BVDs. These guys might have made some people upset especially when kids started coming to the pool.

Now that sounds like my sort of crowd. I get more cheesed off at the annoying kids in the hot tubs.

Just off the Sunshine a little over a week ago, and the worst behaviour I saw was two women (at different times) and their sense of entitlement. Bad behaviour can happen on any ship or cruise line, especially when alcohol is involved.

I've never taken a cruise shorter than 7 days and I've never seen bad behavior on Carnival or, for that matter, any other cruise line. I sometimes feel like I'm missing something. I personally feel the 3-4 day cruises (the so-called booze cruises) have more problems. Yes, there are some videos on YouTube that will show some exciting fights on Carnival but if you search for fights on Royal or any of the other mainstream lines you'll find a number of them,

The bad behavior that bothers me the most is people who crowd onto the elevator before those inside the elevator can get out. That is just wrong, and very bad behavior. I have heard that it is not exclusive to just Carnival cruises.

The bad behavior that bothers me the most is people who crowd onto the elevator before those inside the elevator can get out. That is just wrong, and very bad behavior. I have heard that it is not exclusive to just Carnival cruises.

It's not just elevators on cruiselines, heck it's not even just elevators - buses/trams/shuttles / subways/undergrounds: got to let the people inside off before you get more people in the box! I bet if the airlines didn't organize as such, folks would be trying to get on their flight while the current passengers were trying to get off!