Best Place to buy Olive Oil?

hrmkr

Hello,

We are cruising on the Norwegian Epic in a few weeks. We will be stopping at the following Italian ports: Naples, Civitavecchia (Rome) and Livorno. Looking to find out where to find the best prices for authentic olive oil? I know the harvest season is soon. Hoping to catch some that was just processed. Can't get much fresher.

I wish you luck, but I think you will be too early (if you're on the Sept 30 cruise). Most places don't harvest until November (and continue through January, depending on location). A few may harvest in October but I've no idea how you'd find out where that might happen -- likely in places in Tuscany at higher elevations where it gets cold sooner.

Of the places you list, Livorno would be my suggestion in terms of where to look.

(Anecdotally, I was in Florence last year over Thanksgiving and remember going to a great ristorante for the famous Florentine steak -- the owner was proudly sharing around the brand new olive oil to patrons -- had just arrived the previous day, and this was November 24th).

Your best bet would be to get yourself to a genuine "Frantoio", which you will only find in the countryside where the olive groves are. We have a couple of favorites, where the going rate for one litre is 11 euro. We buy the one litre, rectangular-shaped cans.

Civitavecchia has a pretty good food market where you will find good quality olive oil for sale. If you take the free port shuttle from your ship to the Largo della Pace, the market is about a 10 minute walk from where the bus drops you.

Is there such a thing as "non-authentic" olive oil?

Unfortunately, yes, especially if you are trying to buy Extra-Virgin. The amount of fraud in the olive oil business, especially the oil imported to the U.S., is enough to curl your hair. Take a look at the following:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/60-minutes-overtime-how-to-buy-olive-oil/

https://www.aboutoliveoil.org/olive-oil-fraud

http://www.thefoodjourney.com/fake-olive-oil-avoid-these-brands-and-recognise-when-its-authentic/

Since you live in California, your best bet is to buy olive oil from producers in your state.

As cruisemom says, I think you’re going to be just a bit early for the new oil, which is a shame. Around us, they harvest in late October, normally, and we’re quite high up, in the foothills of the Sibilini Mountains, on the colder Adriatic side. Around Livorno, they are likely to harvest in November. If you take a private tour, mention it to your guide. He/she can tell you if your timing is right, and maybe take you to an oleificio. You’ll also see people picking and nets on the ground if the harvest is on.

Forgot to add that the oil in every region is different, some are more peppery, some milder, some more grassy, but it’s all good!

Since you live in California, your best bet is to buy olive oil from producers in your state.

You hit my point well. Olive oil is made in a few US states, and as far as I know, is authentic. But that can get into the argument that "true" olive oil can only be from Italy, like "true" champagne can only be from the Champagne region...

And yes, there are a number of authentic olive oil producers within an hour of my house.

I know I can get Olive oil practically anywhere. Just looking for where to maybe get a better price.

We were in Rome back in may and bought a nice 1 Liter rectangular can from a small mom and pop grocery store. I asked the owner and he pointed me to the right one. He told me it was better than the others he had for sale. It was actually one of the cheapest but he said it had the best flavor.

Which area would be better? Livorno, Rome or Naples?

I know I can get Olive oil practically anywhere. Just looking for where to maybe get a better price.

We were in Rome back in may and bought a nice 1 Liter rectangular can from a small mom and pop grocery store. I asked the owner and he pointed me to the right one. He told me it was better than the others he had for sale. It was actually one of the cheapest but he said it had the best flavor.

Which area would be better? Livorno, Rome or Naples?

I'd say Livorno or any of the nearby places -- Lucca, Pisa, Florence or the countryside roundabout. I'd stay away from the expensive "prettily packaged" bottles in tourist stores though.

No matter the port, they all have the best olive oil. Just ask them. That also goes for wine, honey, jewelry, pottery, etc.

If you ask a local with no skin in the game you may be well ahead of those who buy at tourist shops.

No matter the port, they all have the best olive oil. Just ask them. That also goes for wine, honey, jewelry, pottery, etc.

If you ask a local with no skin in the game you may be well ahead of those who buy at tourist shops.

But of course! To most Italians, their own region is the best. Best food, best oil, best wine. And naturally, Momma or Nonna is the best cook of that best food. :)

We went to Garguilio in Sorrento and loved it. They gave you a tour of the groves and showed how it used to be be done before the modern manufacturing process. They intermingle lemon trees in their olive groves to provide a singular taste. They had a tasting room with dozens of infused or enhanced olive oils and sold limoncello as well. Very enjoyable. Plus Sorrento is a great place to eat and shop although this is in the foothills in the agricultural area.

http://www.frantoiogargiulo.com/en/home