Suite letdown

Coffeeluvr05

Lots of complainers but no one has mentioned immediately tipping the cabin steward on the first day and mentioning some of the things that are important to you.

When you make their hand turn green they immediately remember you.

Never had a problem with any cabin steward on any cruise. They are tipped once at the beginning and again at the end.

Howard

Lots of complainers but no one has mentioned immediately tipping the cabin steward on the first day and mentioning some of the things that are important to you.

When you make their hand turn green they immediately remember you.

Never had a problem with any cabin steward on any cruise. They are tipped once at the beginning and again at the end.

Howard

That's not a tip it's a bribe. I won't tip in advance for service that's supposed to be usual and standard. I don't want to be remembered as a sucker who had to PAY upfront for what I am supposed to get. I already paid up to 4 times the fare for the cabin and that's enough.

That's not a tip it's a bribe. I won't tip in advance for service that's supposed to be usual and standard. I don't want to be remembered as a sucker who had to PAY upfront for what I am supposed to get. I already paid up to 4 times the fare for the cabin and that's enough.

Shouldn’t the same stateroom steward also provide an equal level of service to all passengers regardless of who provided a tip on the first day?

Shouldn’t the same stateroom steward also provide an equal level of service to all passengers regardless of who provided a tip on the first day?

Now this makes sense. I believe that the auto-grass is increased is because the cabin is larger with a few other responsibilities. I always have a printed handout of my special requests that can be completed at HIS/HER convenience. It makes it easier on the first day to remember what I need. This opens communication between us.

While most people have switched to something digital, those who prefer writing messages opt to use stationery instead of stationary.

It’s difficult to write on stationery when you’re not stationary!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Do you also tip a cab driver when you just get into the cab? Do you also tip a waiter before you order anything? Do you also tip a barber before he/she cuts your hair?

I recently complained of the same thing. I didn't get the MDR menus so what good is being able to order from those menu's. I didn't get water and had to call the first night for them. I didn't get toilet paper, what a joke my cabin steward was on the Golden last week, Sunny. Did you reduce your auto gratuity to a normal cabin because if you didn't you are paying for a service and amenity level you didn't receive

We will be doing our first suite next March. Are you saying that the gratuities are more in a suite? I have not read that before.

Absolutely. In addition to the standard in all cabins suites get some extras like corsages and boutonniere's on formal night, canapes on formal nights, champagne splits and nuts on embarkation, chocolates at turndown on a plate in different shapes in addition to the little wrapped chocolate on the pillow. These items should be forthcoming and not asked for if a room steward is any good.

Absolutely. In addition to the standard in all cabins suites get some extras like corsages and boutonniere's on formal night, canapes on formal nights, champagne splits and nuts on embarkation, chocolates at turndown on a plate in different shapes in addition to the little wrapped chocolate on the pillow. These items should be forthcoming and not asked for if a room steward is any good.

So interesting. 3 cruises in a suite. We got champagne splits once, never got flowers on formal night(s), never got nuts on embarkation, the canapes on formal night have changed to a plate of 6 small chocolates. Other than that, no "extra" chocolates, and these replaced the chocolate dipped strawberries. None of this really bothers me except from the standpoint that if it is still supposed to happen, it didn't. I believe the formal night corsages have been discontinued. The canapes are so awful at embarkation that they should be discontinued. I honestly wouldn't miss the fruit bowl--too much of it went to waste, and the same fruit is available at the buffet. But I did miss the chocolate strawberries!

Yes, the "standard" tip in a suite is higher than in a normal cabin. And no, I don't tip the room steward in advance. He's paid to do his job and I'm not asking for something extra. I pay the tip specified for a suite.

All said, the club class dining and mimosa breakfasts were the best part of the suite.

We will be doing our first suite next March. Are you saying that the gratuities are more in a suite? I have not read that before.

Minisuite gratuities are $1 per day more than interior, ocean view and balcony cabins, and full suites are $2 more.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 5 weeks later...

Update!  I was eventually contacted by Princess.  I did end up sending a second message to them since after two weeks I had not heard anything.  It was a few days later that a very kind woman contacted me from Santa Clarita and was very apologetic for the experience we had and admitted that it sounded like our room steward needs additional training.  I really was not sure what to expect, but I very graciously accepted her offer of future cruise credit of $500 per person for my husband and I.  Certainly a fraction of what we paid for our suite, but very much appreciated and she said we could even apply it to our existing booking.  I am very much looking forward to our cruise in November 2019 on the Sky Princess!

12 minutes ago, Coffeeluvr05 said:

Update!  I was eventually contacted by Princess.  I did end up sending a second message to them since after two weeks I had not heard anything.  It was a few days later that a very kind woman contacted me from Santa Clarita and was very apologetic for the experience we had and admitted that it sounded like our room steward needs additional training.  I really was not sure what to expect, but I very graciously accepted her offer of future cruise credit of $500 per person for my husband and I.  Certainly a fraction of what we paid for our suite, but very much appreciated and she said we could even apply it to our existing booking.  I am very much looking forward to our cruise in November 2019 on the Sky Princess!

That's extremely generous!

On 9/27/2018 at 9:15 PM, suekel said:

On my next cruise, we have 5 sea days of which at least 2 will be cool out. I plan on doing afternoon tea in my suite at least one of those days and I plan to spend a lot of time on my huge balcony. Maybe even make some friends and have a party!

You will love afternoon tea on your suite balcony!   Be warned.....they bring you LOTS of goodies.   It will definitely spoil your dinner, unless you dine late.  🙂

On ‎9‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 10:24 PM, antsp said:

This is completely wrong on the stewards side, the passenger has paid for his cabin until 8am on disembarkatday, to pre clear tidy out a room is wrong. Princess have cut back on the number of stewards so much they are forced into this.

Wow, I didn't experience that on my trip in late July but will remember that for our March 2019 cruise.  Until I'm out that morning, they should not be throwing stuff out.

On ‎9‎/‎26‎/‎2018 at 3:55 PM, Whirlybird said:

our cabin had cold water only. I told my steward and went to pax service twice a day, but after 2 days still no hot water. At that point, went to pax service desk and said I would not leave until I spoke to hotel manager. Waited about 10 minutes, he met with me. Hot water was restored within an hour. Hotel manager later came to my cabin and apologized, gave us a nice bottle of wine and a credit on the bill for our inconvenience. Overall, I only spent a total of about 45 minutes complaining, but once I got the hotel manager, things resolved quickly.

Crazy they thought you would leave when it's something essential like hot water missing for 2 days!  And it was easily restored!