July 2019 - what ship is the best for us?

We've sailed all of the main classes of ship in the fleet (bar MJ & NE) and our recent cruises have been on the bigger and newer ships. Did Symphony this year.

I'm in a dilemma about what to choose. Celebrating a graduation next year so want to make it special. We have to book quite soon due to the Dollar/Pound exchange rate so now is the time to get a good deal.

We're usually big ship folks. Oasis Class have always been my favourites but I feel as if I've done them. Having said that, they are easily the ships that excite me the most. Been years since Freedom Class. Indy is a good option but my group will not go from Southampton. Didn't care for Anthem much in comparison to Oasis Class.

A thought from one of the group was Liberty from Texas, but I really see no appeal in that. I can't think of much about it that excites me and being a gay Brit, I feel as if I'll be on the total opposite end of the spectrum from most of the fellow guests there. Not insulting Texas at all, but being LGBT, I am slightly wary. The reason we considered LB is that we wanted to go to California pre cruise and TX is nearer than FL.

Abe Hughes is CD on SY next year which is tempting but not sure if a CD is a reason to repeat a ship so soon.

Please help me out here. Has to be last week of June or first two weeks of July. And as Royal fans and Diamond members (we like the DL), has to be RC as well.

Thanks! :)

If you are good with Indy, then consider Freedom out of San Juan or Adventure out of beautiful gorgeous Bayonne.

Bayonne is definitely gorgeous. AD's itineraries are pitiful however. At least in July. The Fall cruises to Quebec look nice.

As for FR, I'm saving her until she gets Amplified.

Wouldn't that be the exact same as my Med cruise on SY this year, but without the feeling of being on the new ship?

Unless you are willing to fly to Asia, you are not going to get anything different in Europe or NA in July; well maybe Ovation in Alaska would be different.

A thought from one of the group was Liberty from Texas, but I really see no appeal in that. I can't think of much about it that excites me and being a gay Brit, I feel as if I'll be on the total opposite end of the spectrum from most of the fellow guests there. Not insulting Texas at all, but being LGBT, I am slightly wary. The reason we considered LB is that we wanted to go to California pre cruise and TX is nearer than FL.

Being a New Yorker, I can’t speak for the state of Texas. But I am sailing on the Liberty in Nov and I’ve been researching the heck out of her. From the cruise compasses I’ve seen, there is a LGBTQ gathering every night, if that helps. I’ve visited family in Houston several times in the past couple of years & from what I can tell, you should be no issues. Nearby Austin is also a very progressive city.

I believe there is a Gay and Lesbian thread somewhere here in the CC forum.s You might be able to find better info there.

EDIT: Never mind, I see you already posted on the G&L thread.

Question: If you are good with Indy, what about the Liberty does not excite you? She has the same 'Amped-up" upgrades as Indy, I think.

I usually book based on ship myself but I I can't decide, then the tie breaker is usually itinerary or price (not necessarily in that order).

Abe Hughes is CD on SY next year which is tempting but not sure if a CD is a reason to repeat a ship so soon! :)

If you think this highly of Abe, then pick

Any ship.... even a dingy!... with Mike Swasvarski (spelling is wrong here for sure) and you will have a blast. Mike is currently on Brilliance and people are reporting below incredible He is compared to their “normal”

Previous sailings. I believe I read he’s moving to One of The big Ships so this could Les be your option.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you think this highly of Abe, then pick

Any ship.... even a dingy!... with Mike Swasvarski (spelling is wrong here for sure) and you will have a blast. Mike is currently on Brilliance and people are reporting below incredible He is compared to their “normal”

Previous sailings. I believe I read he’s moving to One of The big Ships so this could Les be your option.

Mike left the Brilliance on 9/22, going to Grandeur 10/6 until February. Then he has said it will be an Oasis class.

We had him on the Brilliance TA and he was fabulous. He doesn’t know which Oasis class but he thinks it will be Harmony or Symphony because he already has done Oasis and they may want him to do the newer ships. Specifics are unknown at this point.

mac_tlc

Question: If you are good with Indy, what about the Liberty does not excite you? She has the same 'Amped-up" upgrades as Indy, I think.

I usually book based on ship myself but I I can't decide, then the tie breaker is usually itinerary or price (not necessarily in that order).

Indy had the Amplified refurb and pretty much got every square inch of the ship revamped. Liberty's Revitalization wasn't as big as Indy and she is getting Amplified in 2021.

Why not take a look at Equinox? The production shows are indeed a weak point entertainment wise but if you're not looking for a mega ship experience it's well worth considering and you would have reciprocal status

Celebrity just is not what I am looking for. I do prefer bigger ships with good entertainment and amenities.

Mike left the Brilliance on 9/22, going to Grandeur 10/6 until February. Then he has said it will be an Oasis class.

We had him on the Brilliance TA and he was fabulous. He doesn’t know which Oasis class but he thinks it will be Harmony or Symphony because he already has done Oasis and they may want him to do the newer ships. Specifics are unknown at this point.

Is this the Mike that lives in Canada? Toronto I think. He left RCC for while to join the police force, then came back.

If it is the same guy, then I would book a cruise based on him being the CD. He is everywhere and hilarious. So much energy.

Is this the Mike that lives in Canada? Toronto I think. He left RCC for while to join the police force, then came back.

If it is the same guy, then I would book a cruise based on him being the CD. He is everywhere and hilarious. So much energy.

It sure is! Haven't had him before but am delighted that he has returned based on feedback.

It sure is! Haven't had him before but am delighted that he has returned based on feedback.

He was CD on 2 of our cruises. He is very visible and mingles with the passengers all the time. His right hand man was an Australian guy by the name of Leigh. They made for an amazing duo but I think Leigh left Royal for another cruise line.

Anyway, Mike used to post on CC. Can't remember his name tho....maybe some of the other long timers members do.

Indy had the Amplified refurb and pretty much got every square inch of the ship revamped. Liberty's Revitalization wasn't as big as Indy and she is getting Amplified in 2021.

Gotcha.

What about Allure? If you like Oasis, this might be the ship for you. The only difference is in the evening, the solarium bistro turns into a Brazilian steakhouse. Who doesn't love unlimited meat on a skewer?

And the production show is Mama Mia. Who doesn't love ABBA?

I know is getting Amped-up in 2020 but it still might be worth a try.

He was CD on 2 of our cruises. He is very visible and mingles with the passengers all the time. His right hand man was an Australian guy by the name of Leigh. They made for an amazing duo but I think Leigh left Royal for another cruise line.

Anyway, Mike used to post on CC. Can't remember his name tho....maybe some of the other long timers members do.

Mike posts under 'djmike'. As for Leigh, he got promoted to CD and was excellent (had him when he filled in for Spacey on Explorer). He got let go from Royal and headed to Carnival but there is speculation that he may come back.

Gotcha.

What about Allure? If you like Oasis, this might be the ship for you. The only difference is in the evening, the solarium bistro turns into a Brazilian steakhouse. Who doesn't love unlimited meat on a skewer?

And the production show is Mama Mia. Who doesn't love ABBA?

I know is getting Amped-up in 2020 but it still might be worth a try.

Allure is one of my all-time favourites. What I worry is that with the older Oasis Class ships is that I will compare them all to the Symphony and her new features.

Having said that, Mamma Mia and Samba Grill appeal much more than CATS and the Solarium Bistro...

Allure is one of my all-time favourites. What I worry is that with the older Oasis Class ships is that I will compare them all to the Symphony and her new features.

Having said that, Mamma Mia and Samba Grill appeal much more than CATS and the Solarium Bistro...

Understandable. We’ve sailed Oasis-class 3 times and Anthem once so going back to the “smaller” Liberty might seem a bit underwhelming. (No park café or dog house or Solarium Bistro for breakfast? And fewer bars/clubs?) At least we will have access to the Viking Crown lounge! :D

But we are taking my DD who lives in Texas and it’ll be her first cruise. So it’ll be perfect for her. Plus it’s a sentimental favorite for the DW and I. We took our first cruise on LOS

Having said that, is anyone in your group cruising for the first time? Or never cruised on Oasis class? Allure might fit the bill.