From Tampa to Port Canaveral

jennieco

Is it feasible to drive from Tampa to Port Canaveral the morning of the cruise or would you recommend we drive there the day before? A little bit about or situation: we have a wedding to attend in Tampa the night before. If we drive there after the wedding we would be in Port Canaveral around 10pm and get a Hotel. I really want to board the ship as early as possible so I’m not sure if we would be pushing it if we leave Tampa the morning of the cruise.

Advice is appreciated. Especially from those who have done this before.

We live in St. Petersburg and drove over the morning of, leaving around 7 AM. It was fine, but I can also say that for any future cruises out of PC we will be getting a hotel the night prior (we couldn’t that time because the night before was our wedding). It’s just too much stressss with the - typically - terrible traffic. Blergh. I’d rather spend the $100-$150 for a one night stay somewhere and save my sanity.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Is it feasible to drive from Tampa to Port Canaveral the morning of the cruise or would you recommend we drive there the day before? A little bit about or situation: we have a wedding to attend in Tampa the night before. If we drive there after the wedding we would be in Port Canaveral around 10pm and get a Hotel. I really want to board the ship as early as possible so I’m not sure if we would be pushing it if we leave Tampa the morning of the cruise.

Advice is appreciated. Especially from those who have done this before.

I drive this all the time, always the same day. I am south of Tampa, so it is even a bit further. I allow the rush hour traffic to die down, and leave about 900am. I am usually at the Radisson to park by 11am. I always use 417 toll (Exit 62) to the beach line. (FL 528). Nice ride at this time.

Oh and... never once have I been stressed on the drive over. There has been traffic and accidents but nothing that caused stress.

We've done it a couple of times and it's about a 2 to 2.5 hour drive, depending on where you are starting from. So if you want to board the ship ASAP, I'd be on the way no later than 8am.

Were in a similar situation in a few weeks, is there a car rental drop off closeby-ish? There's 5 of us (3 adults 2 kids) so I was thinking of dropping them all off at port and then dropping the car off and coming after.

Were in a similar situation in a few weeks, is there a car rental drop off closeby-ish? There's 5 of us (3 adults 2 kids) so I was thinking of dropping them all off at port and then dropping the car off and coming after.

There are a bunch of rental agencies in the area with free shuttles to the cruise terminals:

http://cruiseportcanaveral.us/car-rental/

We live in Central Florida between Tampa and Port Canaveral. During the week there’s traffic into Orlando on I4. If your cruise is on a weekend as long as you leave early you won’t hit much traffic going east thru the attractions area and should be fine. It starts to back up by 930-10 so l would leave by 7 - 730 if you want to get to the ship early.

I haven't done Tampa to Port Canaveral, but I do Orlando to Ft. Lauderdale all the time. In fact going Orlando to Miami in March on the day of the cruise. It's pretty easy, about 4 hours. We get on the road about 8 am and are on board for lunch. If you are attending a wedding, and want to enjoy the reception, stay a while, etc. just stay in Tampa and don't worry so much about early boarding. If you are concerned, think about staying in Orlando near the Airport. Good selection of hotels and easy access to the route to the Port. It'd be about half way so maybe an hour or so from Tampa. You're only around an hour to the port from the airport area in Orlando. Might be a good compromise in your situation.

If there is going to be a backup it usually is from US27 to just past Champions gate. I would just leave plenty early. We go past the port entrance and stop in at Dunkin Donuts early. A relaxed and excited feeling when you know you are just down the street, and away from I4/Disney traffic!

If there is going to be a backup it usually is from US27 to just past Champions gate. I would just leave plenty early. We go past the port entrance and stop in at Dunkin Donuts early. A relaxed and excited feeling when you know you are just down the street, and away from I4/Disney traffic!
You can get breakfast at Grills right next to the terminal

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I really see no major issues going the morning of. We live in Orlando and go to Tampa, Port Canaveral, Port Everglades, and Miami all day of most of the time. During the winter time you have to look out for fog which can sometimes close the 528 early in the morning, but other than an occasional bad car accident, you're pretty safe and there are alternate routes.

We lived in Windermere (Orlando) for about 15 years and I-4 between Disney and Tampa is frequently a nightmare as some view it as Daytona 500 demolition derby. Have been stuck in traffic for hours. Luck of the Draw. Some days smooth sailing, others not so. The Beach Line as you pass Orlando Airport can be a real nightmare too. Be warned.

I'm on the West Coast in New Port Richey and we left at 8:15 on Sunday and were at the port at 11:00 and that was with a Racetrack stop for drinks. If you get there too early all you do is hit the huge line of traffic entering the port anyway.

One of Bob's comments to someone with a rental car reminded me of a point for the OP and others driving around Florida.

At home we have found that renting a car from our local outlet and dropping it off at the airport is MUCH cheaper than driving and parking there (and car doesn't get exposed to hail and rabbits eating wiring). Since most rental agencies in Florida don't charge dropoff fees you can get a rental the night before you head to the cruise and drop off near the port. To come home you get a rental near the port and drive home. No port parking fees.

You get to pay the tolls either way and it does cost a few bucks extra when the rental car companies bill you. But the big advantage is not leaving your car at the port.

I drive to ports all the time. I drive to Tampa, PC, Miami, and Fort Lauderdale. I drive in the morning all the time. IF you plan on arriving at 10:30 and you run into traffic, I doubt it will be 4 hour delay with traffic. I park my car at the port. Never worry about, it raining, hailing, or rabbits eating my car. Cars are designed to be outside.

We live 20 min. south of Port Canaveral and our son goes to USF...he is on his way home now, takes about 2 1/2 hours, maybe less, so yes it is doable, HOWEVER, you might want to check into the hotels around the port because a couple of them offer free parking during your cruise and a shuttle to the port so it might actually cost less than parking at the port all week and you could enjoy a beautiful evening on the Space Coast! Sorry, I do not know which hotels, but do a little search if it interests you.