Internationally Adopted Child Documents

nrain02

My son is bringing a friend with us on our cruise this Sunday. He is 17 and was internationally adopted. He does not have a passport, but does have a US issued birth certificate and a certificate of citizenship. He also has his state ID. Will this be enough documentation to travel with? According to Carnival’s website, it appears he only needs the government issued birth certificate, but when I do a search on cruise critic, I’m getting conflicting experiences... anyone have recent first hand experience? Also can these documents be copies or do they have to be originals? Is the adoption paperwork needed? Thanks

I'm assuming that when you say he has a US birth certificate, that he was re-adopted in the US? Either the certificate of citizenship, issued when his parents brought him to the US, or the US birth certificate are sufficient to prove citizenship. Since he is over 16, he will also need a government issued photo ID (drivers license, or state ID card). A clear copy of the birth certificate or certificate of citizenship is sufficient. Provided the names on the birth certificate/certificate of citizenship and the photo ID are the same, the adoption paperwork would not be needed. If there is a difference in name between the two forms of ID, it is recommended to have a "bridging document" that shows the change in name.

In my state an international adoption goes through the local court that orders the state to issue birth certificate with the child's name and parents name. So it is a state issued birth certificate. If this is what this person has it should work.

I don't understand why you just don't ask Carnival. If someone here on cruise critic says your fine to go and Carnival says can't board the ship, are you going to blame Carnival? Since you're so close to your sail date ask the correct source. Call Carnival and ask them.

WHERE does the US issued birth certificate say this child was born? If it correctly states his foreign location (as most of these sort of re-issued BC do), then it is not proof of his citizenship. He would need his Certifcate of Citizenship for that.

Most US-born citizens derive their citizenship from their place of birth, thus the “government issued birth certificate” statement. That does NOT work for someone who was born outside the US, even if they subsequently obtain a US government issued BC. Those who derive their citizenship from another means need the appropriate document showing their citizenship.

In addition, everyone needs a government issued ID document. And as noted above, the names need to match or be bridged with documentation, and minors should have the appropriate parental permission.

I don't understand why you just don't ask Carnival. If someone here on cruise critic says your fine to go and Carnival says can't board the ship, are you going to blame Carnival? Since you're so close to your sail date ask the correct source. Call Carnival and ask them.

Far more likely to get a correct answer on CC than from Carnival!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We adopted one of our sons internationally. We got him a passport before cruising, but that isn't your question. Here's what Carnival says:

"Internationally adopted children (under the age of 18): If the adoptive parent was not issued a birth certificate, we will accept as proof of citizenship, a Certificate of Citizenship by the U.S. and adoption paperwork. A Certificate of Citizenship is issued by the U.S. once the adoption is finalized."

One word of warning, a Certificate of Citizenship, in my opinion, is the most valuable piece of paper issued by the State Department. While a birth certificate can be replaced for around $30 and a passport for around $100, it costs $555 to replace a Certificate of Citizenship. Be careful!

I’m cruising this Sunday as well (conquest) with my two internationally adopted children. They both have passports, but last year my son did not and we just needed his COC (certificate of citizenship). His birth certificate would not work because it says right on it “does not confirm citizenship”. It is a birth abroad birth certificate issued by the state of Oregon. To be safe, I would have him bring his government issued id, his birth certificate and his COC! Keep the COC in the safe....it is super expensive to replace it if lost!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m cruising this Sunday as well (conquest) with my two internationally adopted children. They both have passports, but last year my son did not and we just needed his COC (certificate of citizenship). His birth certificate would not work because it says right on it “does not confirm citizenship”. It is a birth abroad birth certificate issued by the state of Oregon. To be safe, I would have him bring his government issued id, his birth certificate and his COC! Keep the COC in the safe....it is super expensive to replace it if lost!

Oh, and he will need originals, no copies allowed (but bring a copy just in case the originals get lost....he should leave copies with his parents as well).

Asking Carnival doesn't necessarily give you the correct answer on that either. I do check-in at a port and often we hear... but Carnival said.... or my travel agent said. It is actually Customs and Border patrol that decides. With that said... He will need his birth certificate, his photo ID and a letter from his parents, notarized, stating he can sail with that family. This can be a hand written letter, it doesn't need to be a specific form.