Live! The Grouch on the Noordam for 38 days to New Zealand, Sept. 30, 2018

whogo

Wednesday, November 7, 2018. Tauranga, New Zealand.

Nice scenery until we pulled into the harbor, the port is not attractive, it's industrial looking with a few tall, plain apartment (?) buildings, lots of cranes, the port moves the most tonnage in New Zealand. Low overcast clouds hid what might be attractive hills in the distance. I hope residential areas look better in sunlight. Watched the sail in from the Crow's Nest with only two other passengers, both coughers, surprised I have remained healthy through the cruise.

Docked and cleared about 8:40, Jai announced that our departure has been extended from 5:30 PM to 7:30 PM. Position 37°38.60' S, 176°10.89' E. While I am doing degrees, it is 60° F/15° C.

Great independent shore excursion set up again, made a mistake by taking the HAL excursion to Hobbiton for $189.95, the same tour offered on the dock is NZ$156, about US$104.

The five hour shore excursion did what it said it would. Our driver filled us in on the port and the city of Tauranga, spoke most of the 75 minute drive, seemed able to speak and drive at the same time. Our Hobbiton guide led our group of about 44 through the movie set, it was like herding turtles. Seeing the Hobbit burrows and learning about the making of the movies was fun, would be better for a true fan. I burned out on the movies, did not watch them all, don't remember which ones I have seen and thought there were too many long lasting battles. I suppose now I will have to read all the books and watch all the movies. The one thing they did special for us cruise ship passengers was provide a free beverage (beer, ginger beer, or hard cider) and buttered cheese scone and a huge muffin. Exited through the gift shop, we bought post cards and international postage.

Back about 3:30, Mrs. Whogo walked the short distance to the local stores. I started packing, filled one suitcase, most of my carry on bag, think everything will fit.

Dined in the Lido, enticed by mussels in white wine sauce. Delicious. Both of us tried lamington, a local cake, for dessert. Plan to play evening trivia, visit the piano bar, and finish packing this evening.

Let me add my thanks to those who have enjoyed both your journey and the individual way you write about it :classic_biggrin:.  My wife and I are on the same itinerary from Sydney to Auckland on Noordam in February and your descriptions of the destinations and what you did in each has given us plenty to think about.  I think we are going to enjoy ourselves even more than usual as a result.

Have a safe journey home and keep up the 'travel journalism'.  It's a lot more informative than most of the stuff you get to read on this internet thingy.

Many, many thanks for your lively reports.  You brought back wonderful memories of our travels in these parts of the world.  So glad you and Mrs Whogo have had a happy, healthy cruise.  Safe returns to the prairie! 

We just completed a long road trip and I loved our time in the prairie - WY, SC, ND, MN, WI, UP MI, on our way to Ontario, and then IL, IA, NE, CO on our way back.  Met the most warm and lovely people, ate a lot of comfort foods!  Every place has it's beauty and blessings.  My your return to home be smooth.  m--

Thursday, November 8, 2018. Auckland to home.

I woke at 6:00 with not much to do before scheduled debarkment at 8:20. Ordered a ham omelet and English muffin for breakfast in the dining room, received a ham and cheese omelet and a slice of ham in addition to the usual garnishments of a hash brown and fruit. Errors in dining room breakfast orders have been a regular occurrence, don't remember any trouble with lunch or dinner.

We disembarked Noordam as scheduled, no problem with biosecurity, the beagle sniffed my bag without reacting. Cute dog.

Boarded our HAL airport transfer bus, saw the public airport bus just outside the parking lot, could have been a money saver. As if I have not been exposed to enough germy people, the man directly behind me in the bus coughed the whole ride to the airport, did not sound like he was making any effort to contain it. Tried to hold my breath for the forty minute ride, missed by 39 minutes. Resisted the urge to club him senseless, thought the risk from blood borne pathogens outweighed the risk of airborne cold germs and the pleasure I would have received.

We were nearly six hours early for our flight, check in did not open until about noon. We hung out in chairs at international arrivals, saw a few joyous reunions with broad smiles that are magnitudes more radiant than the ones many of us paste on our faces.

Twelve hours is a long time to spend on a plane. Chose seats poorly, two rows from the toilets, could not sleep with the racket the doors made every time they were opened and closed. They opened and closed a lot of times on the flight. I woke up at 6:00 Thursday morning, we arrived in Los Angeles at 6:00 Thursday morning thanks to the international date line. Don't ask me to explain, I don't understand it myself.

Long walk and queues at LAX for automated passport control, human passport control, customs, and TSA. I was allowed to keep my belt and shoes on through screening, although I am not old enough to qualify. Really. Maybe it's my honest face. Maybe not.

Will board our Chicago flight soon. Back with more sometime.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, whogo said:

As if I have not been exposed to enough germy people, the man directly behind me in the bus coughed the whole ride to the airport, did not sound like he was making any effort to contain it. Tried to hold my breath for the forty minute ride, missed by 39 minutes. Resisted the urge to club him senseless, thought the risk from blood borne pathogens outweighed the risk of airborne cold germs and the pleasure I would have received.

🤣🤣🤣

Thursday, November 8, 2018. Los Angeles to home.

People did not heed the warning to check carryon bags for our connecting flight to Chicago. The flight was full and a number of people had to take their bags back off the plane. Did not see an angry individual reboard, but was not paying complete attention.

A four hour flight from LAX to Chicago is a long flight to add onto a twelve hour flight from Auckland. Only had to walk the entire terminal H at O'Hare to reach our connecting flight which was delayed. I could not understand the P.A. announcements, what with the gate agent's thick accent and poor microphone skills. Something to do with maintenance, I think. Assumed that the pilot refused to fly a plane with such a serious defect and it took them a while to find a less fussy pilot.

Tiny jet, tallest people could not stand upright, three across seating. Three passengers could not figure out which seat was A or C, were confused by the signage I guess. The single seat in row 8 for instance was labeled, 8A while the seats across the aisle were labeled 8B with a pictogram of an aisle and 8C with a pictogram of window. One of the reseated confused passengers played a game on her phone with the sound on. I left it to someone else to administer punishment and the noise only lasted a few minutes more. Was surprised to see the offender leave the plane ahead of me, more severe punishment was merited. I followed the offender off the plane up the jet way and, with an empty fifty foot wide aisle that dead ended on the left and ahead and stretched welcomingly to the right she stopped, blocked the egress, tried to figure out which way to turn. Surprised she did not head back to the plane to ask for directions.

The house is still standing. Went through some of the accumulated mail, I found two letters from the state revenuers, seldom good news, I beat the odds and received a healthy refund. Will have to talk to my tax preparer.

Mrs. Whogo's email, which worked on my computer at home and refused to send or receive messages once we left, worked again at home. She has 691 messages. What in the world does she subscribe to?

Will return with a wrap up.

• Like 1