Equinox Glass Blowing Classes

andymattmom

We enjoyed it very much on a previous cruise. We collect blown glass and now have a piece created by my husband. When I saw it would be available on the 4/10/19 cruise I booked it and prepaid. Last week I received a call from Celebrity telling me it would not be on Equinox and my payment was refunded. The person calling did not know if it would be available on any future cruises on any ship.

We enjoyed it very much on a previous cruise. We collect blown glass and now have a piece created by my husband. When I saw it would be available on the 4/10/19 cruise I booked it and prepaid. Last week I received a call from Celebrity telling me it would not be on Equinox and my payment was refunded. The person calling did not know if it would be available on any future cruises on any ship.
Really? I wonder if they are making changes again after dry dock? I signed up for our March cruise.

Sent from my PH-1 using Forums mobile app

That’s interesting, it seemed very popular when we were on the Equinox in August. DH was unable to secure a time slot they were full.

OP here

I finally called Celebrity

I was told a time would be assigned when I was onboard

I would not count on it. I only half believe anyone on the phone telling me anything that would be relevant to being on the ship. I would expect they would hold spots for those who prepaid. But I would want to choose my time.

I would not count on it. I only half believe anyone on the phone telling me anything that would be relevant to being on the ship. I would expect they would hold spots for those who prepaid. But I would want to choose my time.

It’s not the end of the world if I don’t do. I don’t care about time they assign. Thought it would be fun to do, but no biggie if I don’t .

It’s not the end of the world if I don’t do. I don’t care about time they assign. Thought it would be fun to do, but no biggie if I don’t .

We did it on Equinox in September. Stopped by on the third sea day, hadn’t done any prebooking, signed up for a couple of slots later that day. I love my paperweight! My wife did better, but both are good.

Stan

I did the glass blowing on the Eclipse in Aug. I didn't pre-book, but signed up when on the ship. You pay for the project you choose to do. The ornament I made was $50 and worth every penny. I now have a handmade ornament to celebrate our 50th anniversary. If I do this again, I think I'd make the paperweight, it was very unique looking. Have fun.

• 1 month later...

I made 2 glass pieces while on Eclipse last month. I booked while on board through Michael's Club Concierge. I told her what times I wanted. I got a 20% discount for being in a suite. I made a flower and a pumpkin. Glass blowing is only when the ship is moving. So sea days and afternoon or evening after leaving port. Oh the other new thing is you can buy glass pieces that they have made. The pieces are not be auctioned off.  You can see the orange pumpkin we bought in the background. 

pumpkin.jpg

Edited by bigbenboys
added info
  • Like 2

OP here. I did schedule on the first day once onboard. Class was fun- I made a vase. I picked it up the next day-

They wrap in paper and put in bag- I asked about a box but it was huge. I stuffed vase with socks- wrapped back in paper and then wrapped clothes around and put in middle of checked bag. I arrived in one piece. 

I don’t know if I’d do again but it was fun 

How much do you actually do in this class? I took glassblowing at a studio for 3 months and never made anything that looks as nice as what is shown above.  My vases were all crooked and my plates and bowls were what my mother would call special or unique.

I am interested in this but I want to know what they actually let you do vs what they do for you?

23 hours ago, sbt518 said:

How much do you actually do in this class? I took glassblowing at a studio for 3 months and never made anything that looks as nice as what is shown above.  My vases were all crooked and my plates and bowls were what my mother would call special or unique.

I am interested in this but I want to know what they actually let you do vs what they do for you?

From what I remember. The instructor collect the glass. You shape the glass and add the colors. The instructor put the glass in the mold. The instructor starts the air bubble. Then you blow the glass. I remember rotating the glass in the reheat oven. You create the break line. The instructor adds the water to transfer or complete the piece. These photos are of a friend making a pumpkin.

tim.jpg

tim1.jpg

tim2.jpg

FYI for those that are interested. The concession for the Glass Blowing on the Celebrity Ships is now run by Hollywood Hot Glass. They have a studio in downtown Hollywood on Young Circle. If you are staying in Ft Lauderdale at the beginning or end of your cruise for a few days you can buy groupons (or as for the groupon deal direct with them) to make your choice of glass items. The cost depends on what you pick. You do assist the artist but they control it the most difficult parts. 

I mention this because they may offer more options at their studio or you may be going on a ship that doesn't offer it. Here are some pictures of pieces my wife and I made and some of the process. 

Vase.jpg

Bowl.jpg

mk Glass3.jpg

MK Glass2.jpg

MK Glass1.jpg

4 minutes ago, hrhdhd said:

I made (well, with help 😉) three pieces last month. Just wanted to note that they will date your pieces if you want. I had them put "Equinox 2018" on mine.

Nice touch. I had him sign his name on the bottom of the piece that I made, and he seemed surprised by the request.

I just got off the Equinox yesterday. I had a blast, let me tell you.

I made 3 items, and I did book the first online.  You need to run up and see these folks and pick a time. For the suites folks, nice that their concierge will do that for them.

They help you a great deal. but you get to do a lot as well. Its well worth it.  Some of my table mates at dinner went and signed up and raved about how much fun they had.

Another couple made 6 more after their first as Christmas gifts to friends and family.

It is well worth it.  Experiential with an item to remember it by.

Note, your piece has to cool, in controlled conditions, over night, so you make it one day and pick it up the next.

IMG_2237.jpeg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

My wife made a pumpkin also as a gift to my mother. 

When you get on board, just go to the studio and ask to sign up for a time -- whether you've pre-booked or not. There usually are plenty of slots, so don't worry. 

If you pre-paid and decide you want a more expensive item, no worries. They'll just charge your account for the additional amount. 

As for how much you do, that depends on the item you choose, and the person running the class. I saw some folks working hard blowing glass and using tools to make vases and the like. My wife did very little on her pumpkin, as the glassworker kept telling her parts of it "were very complicated." 

I think whatever you choose, you need to let the helper know you want to do as much as possible.