Passport for Roatan?

kim826

We will be on the Symphony of the Seas in March with one of the stops in Roatan. This is a closed loop cruise out of Miami. Are passports required because of the stop in Roatan. I read on one site that Honduras requires passports but were currently waiving the requirement for cruise passengers. Has anyone been through Roatan recently that can verify this?

Unless something has changed, if it's a close looped cruise starting and ending in the US, you do not need a passport. We were in Roataan 18 months ago and no, it was not a requirement. If in doubt, call the cruise line.

...it’s always better to travel with a passport in case of emergency even on a closed loop cruise.

^ This. If you have one, bring it. Could save big hassle if something goes wrong.

If you don't have one, highly recommend getting it, even for next trip if you can't get it done in time for this one.

Why do people ask about this? Maybe because I'm not American, I don't understand why people try to travel out of the country without passports.

^ This. If you have one, bring it. Could save big hassle if something goes wrong.

If you don't have one, highly recommend getting it, even for next trip if you can't get it done in time for this one.

Why do people ask about this? Maybe because I'm not American, I don't understand why people try to travel out of the country without passports.

To answer your question. There was a long history of not needing a passport for our friendly neighbors. For example, I have entered Canada, dozens of times when I lived nearby, and never had a need other than my drivers license. I flew to Mexico during spring break once, and did not need a passport. Been on dozens of cruises out of Florida where I now live, without a passport. I have one now, but in the 1990's and prior, it was common practice to visit our friendly neighbors. The Caribbean Islands are just a short boat ride to get to. Bahamas is only about 2 hours. It is still a hit or miss if you need to get inspected for ID. Except for Cuba, the closed loop cruise out of Florida visits all these friendly countries, and you never need to present yourself to immigration when coming off ships. It is relative easy to get an emergency waiver to fly back if needed.

The only incentive is fear. Fear of not getting back. I don't fear going to Canada. I like Canada. I'm certainly not afraid of going to the Bahamas.

We will be on the Symphony of the Seas in March with one of the stops in Roatan. This is a closed loop cruise out of Miami. Are passports required because of the stop in Roatan. I read on one site that Honduras requires passports but were currently waiving the requirement for cruise passengers. Has anyone been through Roatan recently that can verify this?

Every Caribbean country requires a passport, but most including Roatan waive for cruise passengers

The USA is roughly the same size as Europe. Most of our trips are from state to state, not from country to country like in Europe. We rarely need a passport. Until recently, we didn't even need one to go to Canada or Mexico. Most Americans simply don't possess a passport, and opportunities to use one are few and far between.