Formal Nights, Tuxedos, Thoughts?

I wear a barong Tagalog, the formal wear of the Philippines, a long sleeved embroidered shirt which is worn outside over the pants. Usually get smiles and comments from certain crew members, easier packing than US formal wear.

Your vacation and your choice, regardless of how others dress on formal evening. DW and I enjoy those evening very much in tux and fancy cocktail dress. We were on Celebrity a few times with their “chic evening “ and found I would have preferred my tux those evenings rather than figure out what “chic” means.

Have a great awesome family vacation and time , special on the “ fancy nights”. :cool:

Our little family of three have booked on Anthem in February. Five year old son has a cute little suit to wear for formal nights...perfect. DH likes the idea of going the tux route for himself. It's been six years since we've cruised and based on what I've been reading about the lack of formal night enthusiasm, I'm worried he'll stick out like a sore thumb. On the other hand (haha, get it?) he doesn't seem to care, good for him right!?. I hoped other folks who cruise more often than we do could give me a rough estimate on the percentage of tuxedo wearers vs. suits vs. "casual business attire" that they notice on formal nights. Thanks!

Oh yes...and he doesn't own a tux, he'd have to rent one so we're weighing that factor into our decision as well. In the end, we don't get to vacation very often so....it's whatever makes you happy right?

Thanks everyone. I enjoyed reading everyone's opinions, thoughts, advice and experiences. The more I thought about it I came to realizing that we don't get dressed up that often and we should take advantage of the opportunity. We're pretty psyched about this cruise so...why not...we'll live it up and go all out for the formal nights. Maybe even a tux for our little man too! Happy Sailings!

Excellent choice! Like many others, I own a tux. They really aren't that expensive. Compare the cost of buying one to the cost of a rental. If you plan to cruise again, you'll be able to wear it again. We cruise with a group of 10-12. We all have tuxes. We've also used them for other parties, Valentines Day one year, a couple New Year's Eve's, etc. One year we hosted a New Year's Eve party with a Tropical theme. Since our group hosted, we wore tuxes with grass skirts (shorts under). It was great fun.

P.S. A tux for little man will be photo's you'd cherish for life!

Although on my last cruise on Allure in June, I saw only a couple of men in tuxedos with women wearing gowns. Even the number of men wearing suits was way down from over a few years ago.

One of the most common outfits that I saw was men in khakis and golf shirts. There were more men in dress shirts and dress pants with or without ties.

I thought it was interesting to see women dressed to the nines in fancy long dresses or cocktail dresses with men in khakis and golf shirts. It appears men and women think differently as to what is formal.

Having said all this, have hubby wear his tux and you in your fancy dress and enjoy the evening. You probably will get lots of looks, but my guess is more people will think you look great and wish their husbands would dress up too.

We are taking our first cruise on Anthem (nov 25 - 11 night eastern Caribbean cruise) and also did the same research you are. It does seem that many people say Anthem seems to trend a litttle more formal- especially on longer cruises like ours. But again just peoples opinions not fact.

Like many have said my husband bought a tux for a wedding a few years ago and we are very excited to dress up. We have a 3.5 year old that is coming along. Got him a 3-piece vest suit for a steal and bought a bow tie to make him a little “faux tux”. Hopefully we can get use out of it this next year too since it’s really just suit pants, a vest and a collared shirt.

Have a great cruise!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks everyone. I enjoyed reading everyone's opinions, thoughts, advice and experiences. The more I thought about it I came to realizing that we don't get dressed up that often and we should take advantage of the opportunity. We're pretty psyched about this cruise so...why not...we'll live it up and go all out for the formal nights. Maybe even a tux for our little man too! Happy Sailings!
... there's the spirit

We enjoy dressing up, so we always wear tuxedo / evening gown on formal nights. We were pleasantly surprised to see some others dressed formally on our last three cruises on Liberty, with a handful of men in tuxedos.