Just had great idea for a cruise

Warmer Climes

I've done lots of cruises- started with RCI and then tried NCL and preferred it. My husband and I did Celebrity transatlantic from Barcelona as our most recent cruise and did not like Celebrity even though the ship was lovely. We felt that possibly we were tired of cruising and we've done a few non-cruising trips to Asia since the TA Cruise. BUT our youngest will graduate from college in May, 2020 and we thought of planning a Mediterranean cruise on Epic from Barcelona with just her, surprising her with the cruise docs slipped in her diploma at graduation. This girl LOVES cruising. We really enjoyed our cruise on Epic and know she would love the singles area of the ship. We love Barcelona and would go a couple of nights early so she can see the city. What do you think?

Edited by Warmer Climes
Autocorrect

We took my son and his fiancée on a cruise after his college graduation in lieu of a party. Their choice. 7 nighter (the MSC one in my signature). It was delightful.

They got to do something they'd never done before and go places they hadn't imagined. Plus, they got to be all growed up onboard the ship, we only asked they meetup for one meal a day. They actually wanted to spend more time with us than that, attending shows and going to the bars and doing trivia, etc.

I think you're idea sounds fantastic. good luck!

I think it's a lovely idea!

My parents treated me to a 7 day Caribbean cruise (and pre-cruise week in Florida too) for my University graduation back in the late '90s.

I had already been dating my now husband for about a year by that time but both he and my brother stayed behind.

The three of us had an absolute blast together and it was nice to have them to myself while starting to navigate our relationship with me as a young woman who would soon be no longer be dependent on them (I lived at home during university). Within 6 months of returning from that trip, my husband proposed and I moved to another city so I really cherish the special trip that I had with them before I "left the nest."

We are even more fortunate that we have been able to do three cruises with them and our four children (and another one booked for March 2020).

Maybe you'll be starting a tradition!

Cruise is a good idea. Hiding docs in a diploma, is probably not going to work because of the way most universities handle graduations. You can make it work, just figure out a different way tot pull off the surprise.

We done this same cruise, at the time aboard the Jade in June of 2010 with our 3 kids, as a chance to get everyone together between graduations from high school and from college. We thought it might be last chance when everyone would have similar free time between schools and full time employment. The cruise was great, but what made the biggest difference was arranging a private tours for Cannes, Florence, Rome and Naples. Cheaper than through the NCL excursions and so much more convenient A private tour allows so much more time to see the sights. Money well spent. Our best cruise ever.

If she loves cruising, then that sounds like a great graduation gift! My only hesitation would be assuming she will still be single in May of 2020....

Very good point

Always great to think ahead about the "what if's", and at least this is a nice one :)

(I'm so used to thinking about things the "what if's" that might require use of travel insurance, so this is so much more pleasant.)

As long as NCL continues to offer full refunds of the deposit (until final payment), why not reserve an extra cabin (inside? balcony?) for "them" just in case she wants to bring someone along.

Presumably you (and she) would know by shortly before final payment.

And if you drop the studio or the "extra", you can just apply that to the rest of the payment for the cruise, so it's money you would have spent anyway, but just paid in advance.

If she absolutely loves cruising, then this should be wonderful for all of you.

GC

I think it's a lovely idea!

My parents treated me to a 7 day Caribbean cruise (and pre-cruise week in Florida too) for my University graduation back in the late '90s.

I had already been dating my now husband for about a year by that time but both he and my brother stayed behind.

The three of us had an absolute blast together and it was nice to have them to myself while starting to navigate our relationship with me as a young woman who would soon be no longer be dependent on them (I lived at home during university). Within 6 months of returning from that trip, my husband proposed and I moved to another city so I really cherish the special trip that I had with them before I "left the nest."

We are even more fortunate that we have been able to do three cruises with them and our four children (and another one booked for March 2020).

Maybe you'll be starting a tradition!

What a lovely memory for you! I'm calling my travel agent next week. I know our daughter will be ecstatic about this cruise. Thanks to everyone for your input.

I've done 2 surprise cruises, one for my friend (which was one of the best decisions I ever made, because a cruise was on her bucket list, and she died 2 years later) The 2nd one was for the same friends daughter and her husband, he was in on the surprise but she didn't have a clue. We told her on her birthday, and the week before she got a clue everyday.

Was hoping to do the same this year, and surprise her husband this time, but she already had a surprise for me, she's pregnant and so can't go on a cruise this year.

It was soooo much fun to plan these, you will love it.

Would love to hear all of the plans as you do this. Please update us.

I've done lots of cruises- started with RCI and then tried NCL and preferred it. My husband and I did Celebrity transatlantic from Barcelona as our most recent cruise and did not like Celebrity even though the ship was lovely. We felt that possibly we were tired of cruising and we've done a few non-cruising trips to Asia since the TA Cruise. BUT our youngest will graduate from college in May, 2020 and we thought of planning a Mediterranean cruise on Epic from Barcelona with just her, surprising her with the cruise docs slipped in her diploma at graduation. This girl LOVES cruising. We really enjoyed our cruise on Epic and know she would love the singles area of the ship. We love Barcelona and would go a couple of nights early so she can see the city. What do you think?

Great idea....I would be worried about not only if she is dating someone but what if she gets a job. My daughter was attending UGA (go Dawgs!) and her last year of studies she got a job in the research department at the University. We wanted to take her on a cruise for graduation but there was no way she would had been able to get the time off. And now, since she has graduated she has been working steadily.

Just something to take into consideration.....