What side of the ship?

andrek

We are cruising from San Antonio, Chile to Buenos Aires in January and right now we can change our cabin for a bit more to the starboard side of the ship in a cabin that is not partially obstructed. We are on the 6th deck port side midship as we wanted to be low and port side to see the Chilean Fiords. The cabin we are looking at is on the starboard side on deck 7 midship with a life boat below but clear outward. It will cost about $150 each to upgrade. Is it worth it to give up the less expensive cabin with an ok view. Is there really more to see on the port side?

Thanks,

Andrea

I doubt that it matters which side of the ship you are on with regards to the view, but perhaps if this itinerary is one where that is a consideration someone with experience can answer that.

But regardless, you have to decide how much time would you be spending in your stateroom where that would matter and would you not be out and around the ship more often then not?

I assume you are in a balcony stateroom, and if so, my personal preference - regardless of side of ship - would be to have the less obstructed view for those times when I was in my stateroom on the balcony.

My concern with deck 6 port side would be how close to midship you are. There is a smoking area on Deck 5 midship. IME, most times the ship is not close enough to really see anything, well maybe Antarctica when we could see a lot from either side.

If it were me I would move to Starboard side if possible and if I felt the better views were on the portside I would go to the Sunset Bar, Oceanview Bar, or the Sky Lounge where you can see both the port side and starboard side views at the same time.

We are cruising from San Antonio, Chile to Buenos Aires in January and right now we can change our cabin for a bit more to the starboard side of the ship in a cabin that is not partially obstructed. We are on the 6th deck port side midship as we wanted to be low and port side to see the Chilean Fiords. The cabin we are looking at is on the starboard side on deck 7 midship with a life boat below but clear outward. It will cost about $150 each to upgrade. Is it worth it to give up the less expensive cabin with an ok view. Is there really more to see on the port side?

Thanks,

Andrea

You were half right with "we wanted to be LOW and PORT side to see the Chilean Fjords."

Port is correct; low is not. Deck 9 has just as good a view as Deck 6.

The view is definitely better on the port side and you can only view the glaciers from the port side.

Having said that, when we took our SA cruise in 2009 on the Infinity, we unfortunately passed by the glaciers around 2:00 am to 3:00 am!

Thank you all for your help! We were able to upgrade to a 2A cabin on the 7th deck midship starboard for a total of $40!! Yay, we are happy with our choice. No more lift levers to block our outward view. As you have said I think the clear view and no smoking is a winner.

Thanks again you guys really helped me.

Andrea

We were on this Infinity Cruise this past January. The room is not that big of a deal as you will want to be up front with the Narrator who will point everything out as you go. Be prepared for some early mornings.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums