Sydney Australia hotels

dijo

We will arrive in Sydney with 4 days to see the city before boarding the Ovation in April 2019. Would appreciate any recommendations of hotels that are centrally located to major sites, shops and restaurants nearby and reasonable rates. I have done some research and see that there are many apartment/condo type hotels in Sydney. Any experience with those also appreciated. Thank you in advance.

I believe the ovation leaves from the overseas passenger terminal. Prior to our cruise we stayed at the Holiday Inn in The Rocks. About 500 foot walk to the ship, walking distance of Sydney Opera House and Circular Quay. Lots of shopping and food and beverage places. Prices were reasonable and great breakfast for a fee

The Australia & NZ board has a lot of suggestions: https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=77

We stayed at the Radisson Blu near Circular Quay in Sydney. (Government employee rates) Public transit there is fabulous and I would strongly recommend a multi day transit pass. Enjoy! That was one of our favorite cruises. :D:D:D

Since your arrive 4 days early, I would check out the Meriton Apartments, either the one on Kent or Pitt. We stayed at the Pitt location and walked to Darling Harbour. We had our own kitchen & laundry facilities. There is a market around the corner as you turn right out of the apartments and down to the other corner. We got a 2 bedroom for the 4 of us. https://www.meritonsuites.com.au/

Pitt Street Location : https://www.meritonsuites.com.au/our-hotels/nsw/sydney-cbd/pitt-street/

Plenty of people going on cruise ships stay at the Holiday Inn Old Sydney as retird says above. Apparently very reasonable prices, though I guess it depends on what "reasonable" means. There are plenty with unreasonable prices for those where money is no object, such as the Park Hyatt which is beautiful but seriously expensive. There are plenty of apartments and hotels at Darling Harbour which is basically behind The Rocks and you can catch a ferry around to there or get a taxi. I think, but am not 100% sure, that there are apartments in the 2nd of the Toaster buildings that can be short term rentals but they would probably be expensive. They are the buildings behind the Opera House that you can see in all the photos and are directly across from the cruise terminal. Just a short trip up Macquarie Street (the road that runs up from the Opera House) is the Intercontinental. The Four Seasons is just up George Street from the cruise terminal.

The Rocks/Circular Quay is a great place to base yourself because everything is there. Buses straight up to the city centre if you can't be bothered walking, trains to wherever you want to go or catch a ferry over to Manly where the zoo is but also a great beach, or out to Watson's Bay Hotel which is also on the harbour front but a great place to spend a weekend afternoon in the sun with great food and entertainment. Plenty of restaurants and pubs and bars at The Rocks and Opera House, even the cruise terminal itself has a couple of restaurants in it and an outdoor bar. Holiday Inn Old Sydney sounds like the place to stay and you can watch the ships come in from the rooftop garden.

We stay Holiday Inn a LOT awhen cruising or The Grace when in town for other reasons, but I’d agree that serviced apartment like Meriton would give you better options.

Self serve laundry and kitchenette would to me swing it big time.

And yes Ovation will go from the Oversaes Passenger Terminal at the Rocks.

We have been to Sydney twice, once in 2013 and recently in 2018. The second time, we wanted to be near Circular Quay. The Four Seasons is very nice and across the street from CQ. However, you will pay and pay again for that hotel.

I didm't want to pay more than $200 Australian per night. We found a rather new hotel just a couple of blocks from CQ. There are several good to excellent restaurants nearby.

It is the Tank Stream Hotel. Rooms are of modest size, but the hotel is new, service is excellent and amenities are great (no pool).

Also recommend Old Sydney Holiday Inn at The Rocks. 2 min walk from the cruise terminal and a great place to base yourself for a few days in Sydney. Great history in that area and an added bonus to wake up and see what ship is in Port.

Another vote for the Holiday Inn at The Rocks. Easy walking distance to the Overseas Passenger Terminal, ferries at CQ and a multitude of eating/drinking establishments. Enjoyed our stay there greatly. Very friendly staff, rooms comfortable & well appointed.

We have visited Sydney 6 times every other year. Just enjoy Down Under. Have used our IHG card for 2 free nights at the Holiday Rocks. Concur great location. Will be there again in April 2019 and using the same two free nights for the Intercontinental.

Yet another vote for Holiday Inn Old Sydney. Excellent b'fast. Amazing and helpful staff.

Very central to everything, transportation notwithstanding. Took the subway to CQ from the airport and back.

In the evening, all the area near the Opera House is very alive.