Athens to Muscat - The Middle East with a Muse

Silver Spectre

Once through the security point, with the non working detector we were given the choice, walk half a mile uphill to the Monastery or jump in the small vans. Taking the second option we jumped into the last van, joined by Monika B, and then a huge kerfuffle ensued. It appeared that one of the guards wanted Monika’s ship to shore radio, which had not been spotted at the checkpoint. He thought it was a major issue and it took ages for our guide to dissuade him.

B01866EE-5049-4658-82F0-A26F4B0E516C.jpeg

4 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Each day is another treat with more pictures. Thanks for taking the time to post them. 

YES!!   Agree with above.  Appreciate your continued pictures, posts and follow-ups.  Getting close for us to Tuesday, Nov. 13, afternoon, when we depart on our flights to New York City JFK airport, London Heathrow and then arriving in Athens, Greece.  Start Nov. 16 for our Nov. 16, 20-day sailing on the Oceania Nautica in going from Athens to Dubai with the many of the same ports experienced by Silver Spectre.  Keep up the great sharing. 

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 242,231 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

6 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Each day is another treat with more pictures. Thanks for taking the time to post them. 

Thanks TTS, it’s been really difficult over the last few days what with us winning our first ever Test Match in Galle, and the first one abroad in 2 years. Luckily we are sharing a hotel with Rooty and the boys, and there is not that much to do in the evenings other than eat, drink and watch the torrential rain.

1 hour ago, TLCOhio said:

YES!!   Agree with above.  Appreciate your continued pictures, posts and follow-ups.  Getting close for us to Tuesday, Nov. 13, afternoon, when we depart on our flights to New York City JFK airport, London Heathrow and then arriving in Athens, Greece.  Start Nov. 16 for our Nov. 16, 20-day sailing on the Oceania Nautica in going from Athens to Dubai with the many of the same ports experienced by Silver Spectre.  Keep up the great sharing. 

Barcelona/Med: June 2011, with stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Great visuals with key highlights, tips, etc. Live/blog now at 242,231 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Hi Terry, I will try to pick up the pace whilst we have 3 days before the next Test. Can you let me know which ports you are stopping in and which trips you are doing.

11 minutes ago, Silver Spectre said:

Thanks TTS, it’s been really difficult over the last few days what with us winning our first ever Test Match in Galle, and the first one abroad in 2 years. Luckily we are sharing a hotel with Rooty and the boys, and there is not that much to do in the evenings other than eat, drink and watch the torrential rain.

And that's just the team! Wow, I'm impressed Silver Spectre. Did you get to see any of the Test?

Rp

3 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Hi Terry, I will try to pick up the pace whilst we have 3 days before the next Test. Can you let me know which ports you are stopping in and which trips you are doing.

Appreciate your great follow-up and the need for the specifics as to our "adventure" starting next week.  Below you will see my graphic that gives many more details, routing, etc.  

We will have private guides/tours for my wife, me and another couple when doing overnights in both Jerusalem and Luxor.  Plus, also private touring for the four of us in doing Petra and Dubai-Abu Dhabi.  For most of the other stops, we will have a ship tour that was included as a part of our Oceania package "deal".  Except for Athens and Patmos, these will all be new locations for us to visit and explore.  Most of our interests are for the history, culture, food, people-observing, architecture, etc., related to these unique and special locations.  As always, we welcome any and all tips, insights, words of wisdom, etc., etc.  Don't be shy as to your loves, hates, secrets, etc.   Am planning to be doing a live/blog with lots of pictures and travel details.  Will do those posting on the Oceania Cruise Critic board.  Look forward to learning more!!

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 38,781 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Here is a graphic that I prepared on my laptop that shows exactly where we will be stopping and traveling starting next week.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this picture larger/better!)

104095368_AthenstoDubaiCruiseDetails.thumb.png.6c44c21a8bf9267aa425d2cd3f246e05.png

9 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

Appreciate your great follow-up and the need for the specifics as to our "adventure" starting next week.  Below you will see my graphic that gives many more details, routing, etc.  

We will have private guides/tours for my wife, me and another couple when doing overnights in both Jerusalem and Luxor.  Plus, also private touring for the four of us in doing Petra and Dubai-Abu Dhabi.  For most of the other stops, we will have a ship tour that was included as a part of our Oceania package "deal".  Except for Athens and Patmos, these will all be new locations for us to visit and explore.  Most of our interests are for the history, culture, food, people-observing, architecture, etc., related to these unique and special locations.  As always, we welcome any and all tips, insights, words of wisdom, etc., etc.  Don't be shy as to your loves, hates, secrets, etc.   Am planning to be doing a live/blog with lots of pictures and travel details.  Will do those posting on the Oceania Cruise Critic board.  Look forward to learning more!!

SE Asia/Mekong River, Etc.!  Live/blog from early 2018, first adventure through SE Asia, stops in Hong Kong and Bangkok, before exploring all over Vietnam and Cambodia, seven days sailing on the Mekong River. Now at 38,781 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2591474

Here is a graphic that I prepared on my laptop that shows exactly where we will be stopping and traveling starting next week.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this picture larger/better!)

104095368_AthenstoDubaiCruiseDetails.thumb.png.6c44c21a8bf9267aa425d2cd3f246e05.png

Thanks Terry. We had been to Jerusalem and Petra on previous trips, all I can say is you will have a super time. In Jordan we went to a Crusader Castle at Shobak, which will be coming up next, and then the full day trip to Luxor.

After a nice relaxing evening sailing from Sharm into the gulf of Aqaba we arrived at Aqaba itself. Whilst the majority of guests chose the traditional tour to Petra or even a Wadi Rhum desert safari, we picked a new tour that visited the imposing ruins of the Shobak crusader castle. So it was back on the bus again and off into the desert.

D0BE09FD-F2FD-4369-A878-060C34AB86EA.jpeg

C010AC8F-9478-4230-A07E-5AEAF60C35D0.jpeg

E4365158-9ACE-4F05-8A10-1278907BE29A.jpeg

• Like 1

Our guide convinced the SS accompanying person that we could take the road past Petra and Petra town and it would add about 10 mins to the outbound journey. Based on the motorway return he was out by at least 30 minutes, so yet more time in a bus. The last couple of photos are modern Petra.

6E185644-28FA-4F01-AE8A-0C987EAFECF9.jpeg

895FB3C3-3EEF-40B1-8151-C36A0FCB23B4.jpeg

2BB45F21-A0F9-4495-8D7B-3BF48F8D56DE.jpeg

F831242C-21F7-4A0F-9ECF-EDECCC702B7C.jpeg

Edited by Silver Spectre
  • Like 1