Change in Traditional Dining Times?

canadarocks

We HAD 6:00pm traditional booked on both our Caribbean & Crown Princess cruise next year. NOW we're listed for 5:00pm (with 4:45pm & 7:15pm as the other options). Is this the new normal for Princess?

(hate the tiny new font BTW) 

Edited by canadarocks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We have traditional dining on the Crown Princess next month and again next May confirmed for 5:30pm, per our

travel summaries on the website. That's what we were offered when we made the reservations, since we're early

eaters, that suits us just fine.

18 minutes ago, abbydancer said:

I think that the traditional dining times are set by the ship and often depend on which itinerary you are on.  I'm usually in late seating, and the times have varied from 7:45 to 8:30.

But the choices for TD when you booked were usually 5:30, 6, or 8:15 and then depending on the ship it would vary between 15 to 30 minutes.   I just switched my time to 7:15 because I don’t want to get on the ship and end up eating at 5 pm.  That’s just too early for me.  I don’t mind eating later because I don’t go to shows or anything.  

1 minute ago, Diver2014 said:

We have traditional dining on the Crown Princess next month and again next May confirmed for 5:30pm, per our

travel summaries on the website. That's what we were offered when we made the reservations, since we're early

eaters, that suits us just fine.

I had 6 pm up until yesterday and have a printed travel summary stating same.  But just looked and it now says 5 pm.  So you might want to check your booking summary.  

We just changed all our early dinning times to the 7:15 late seating.  I just can't eat that early.  5:45 to 6 PM was OK  All of ours were changed we are sailing on Regal, Royal and Caribbean.  I am listing the ships to let people know that those ship have changed their dining times.

6 minutes ago, geocruiser said:

We just changed all our early dinning times to the 7:15 late seating.  I just can't eat that early.  5:45 to 6 PM was OK  All of ours were changed we are sailing on Regal, Royal and Caribbean.  I am listing the ships to let people know that those ship have changed their dining times.

Just changed all mine also.  Crown Nov. 3rd, Crown April 16th, & Sky Nov. 10th 2019.  Would like to post on roll calls but they aren’t back up yet.

I suspect that the intent might be to balance out dining between early and late. It has clearly been tilted to early on Princess cruises for the past few years.  Especially those that a mostly American and Canadian passengers. Making the early shift earlier they get some people to shift to late.  Also makes it easier for those in early dining to get to the early shows.

They are also opening up Anytime dining earlier as well.

Edited by RDC1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, RDC1 said:

I suspect that the intent might be to balance out dining between early and late. It has clearly been tilted to early on Princess cruises for the past few years.  Especially those that a mostly American and Canadian passengers. Making the early shift earlier they get some people to shift to late.  Also makes it easier for those in early dining to get to the early shows.

They are also opening up Anytime dining earlier as well.

Sounds like a distinct possibility.  But geez 5 is just too early - I can see a lot of people switching to late or ATD.  I have no idea what I’m going to do in the spring when I cruise with my friend because she will not eat at 7:15.  

I just looked at my February cruise on the Emerald. The TD times that can be selected are 4:45, 5:00 and 7:15. Seems very early. I think a lot of early diners will move to ATD, and some may move to late TD. I don't see these very early times working very well. I believe Princess does not have a good handle on dining.

I had heard about the dining times changing once you are aboard, and at least wasn't surprised when my confirmed 5:45 early TD (never changed on the paperwork) was indeed 5:15 on the SB Coral Alaska June 2018.

Bottom line is you won't know for sure until you are on board (for TD) which makes planning much more difficult.

I would like to see a thread listing confirmed vs. reality once aboard.

We just got off the Grand Princess Sunday [Pacific Coast 7 day], we had 5:30 early dining time but when we got on the ship, early dining was 5 p.m. and late seating was 7:30, too early [translates to too soon after the afternoon tea!!]  Also there was no Pub Lunch, no happy hour.  Our travel agent had requested 9 months ago that we would like early dining with a window seat in the Davinci dining room.  Instead we got a table in the Botticelli dining room [we call it the Dungeon diner].  Very difficult to get to when you have a hard time walking and climbing stairs.  There are only 2 elevators to get to this dining room and they are usually full with wheelchair and walker guests.  It was a big challenge for me getting up and down stairs to this dining room.   Speaking of dining, the beef was a big improvement this time, very tender and delicious. 

The International Cafe is still accepting the old coffee cards with unused punches, we were able to use a few punches of the 5 cards we have left.   They punch the cards for regular coffee too, which my husband drinks, I used mine for Banoffee Blasts, a delicious blend of caramel syrup, bananas, cream and coffee with whipped cream on top.

5 minutes ago, norcalcruzr said:

We just got off the Grand Princess Sunday [Pacific Coast 7 day], we had 5:30 early dining time but when we got on the ship, early dining was 5 p.m. and late seating was 7:30, too early [translates to too soon after the afternoon tea!!]  Also there was no Pub Lunch, no happy hour.  Our travel agent had requested 9 months ago that we would like early dining with a window seat in the Davinci dining room.  Instead we got a table in the Botticelli dining room [we call it the Dungeon diner].  Very difficult to get to when you have a hard time walking and climbing stairs.  There are only 2 elevators to get to this dining room and they are usually full with wheelchair and walker guests.  It was a big challenge for me getting up and down stairs to this dining room.   Speaking of dining, the beef was a big improvement this time, very tender and delicious. 

The International Cafe is still accepting the old coffee cards with unused punches, we were able to use a few punches of the 5 cards we have left.   They punch the cards for regular coffee too, which my husband drinks, I used mine for Banoffee Blasts, a delicious blend of caramel syrup, bananas, cream and coffee with whipped cream on top.

Fish n Chip has disappeared from shorter cruises.  These new dining times just happens today as I check my booking daily on line.  As for getting  window seat I can tell you that they used to be reserved for suite guests but with suite passengers getting club class dining that should free up some window tables in the regular dining rooms.  I know those aft dining rooms can be difficult to get to especially with a wheel chair or walker.  I had to take my Mom at least 15 mins early to get an elevator.  Sounds like you enjoyed your cruise.

1 hour ago, spyro1952 said:

I had 6 pm up until yesterday and have a printed travel summary stating same.  But just looked and it now says 5 pm.  So you might want to check your booking summary.  

Sounds just like what I saw today for my next cruise.  I also have the printed travel summary that says 6:00 requested, 6:00 confirmed.  Now when I look at the same travel summary on Princess it says 5:00 requested, 5:00 confirmed.  

2 hours ago, spyro1952 said:

Well, how about that?  Okay, I checked my booking summary for our next 2 Princess cruises and sure enough, the traditional dining times have changed.  Next month on the Crown, we have 4:45 confirmed (even though we booked 5:30 when we made the reservation) and next May we have 5:15 confirmed. No big deal though, we like to eat in the buffet half the time if we don't feel like getting 'decent' for dinner. 

Another thing this change does is clears out the mid ship dining room that is early traditional and late anytime for anytime dining by 6:45 or 7.  In the past it did not open up for anytime until 7:30-7:45.   This should also help with some of the peak Anytime dining.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pam in CA said:

Dining times depend on the itinerary and Maitre d’. There never were standard Traditional dining times. They’ve always varied depending on the Maitre d. 

Yes they did vary some once you got on board but now the only choices you have for early TD when you book are 4:45 or 5 pm.  They’re not going to vary those times by 45 mins to an hour.

Whenever possible, that is why I now do CC dining.  So have the feel of traditional, but can go to dinner when I want to!

I have one cruise where due to cost, took traditional dining at 6PM.  So will be interesting to see what time I REALLY get!

Pooh

Edited by PoohUnderstands