More Entertainment News: The Dancers Will Return!

nordski

We have just returned from a cruise on Journey. During that cruise, both at the M&M and in a special 1 hour session in The Cabaret, CD Eric made some interesting comments about the future of entertainment on Azamara.

First an obvious caveat. This is what I took from what Eric said. There is always a possibility that I may mishear or misinterpret.

1/ In 2019, Azamara will return to a troupe of 4 singers and 2 dancers on each ship. There will be a total of 9 production shows developed for the next 3 years and they will rotate between the three ships. In theory you will not encounter much repetition if your sailings for the next three years were confined to 1 of the ships.

2/ The recent experiment with less traditional forms of entertainment was not enthusiastically received. The positive outcome of that experiment was that the executives recognized that entertainment needed perhaps as much attention as food and service (my words).

3/ The importance of point 2/ is that on a small ship such as Journey etc., there is a need to assign staterooms to staff in a manner that best impacts the total on board experience. Not so great a problem, according to Eric,  when he joined Azamara since the ships did not sail with a full complement  of passengers. However, as Azamara’s popularity grew there was a need to add more service and food personnel. Thus the loss of a harpist on board was partly the result of balancing competing demands. There is always going to be a tension surrounding these issues.

4/ Eric also pointed out the versatility  required from the entertainment staff they hire since they may have other responsibilities. This versatility is less needed, of course, on larger ships.

5/ Eric’s presentation in The Cabaret was an excellent overview of the technical wizardry used to create the seeming depth of the music produced by a small ensemble. If he repeats this presentation I would recommend attending.

Finally, we thought the entertainment talent  on Journey was as good as we have seen. Although the production show we saw lacked a narrative arc, the performers’ skills were impressive. I have already agreed with Phil (excitedofharpenden) that Stephen Millett has a remarkably strong voice, particularly in the falsetto range. The pianist Vasi Katina, who was utilized primarily in Spirits, is able to play many genres, has an attractive voice, and is very personable. The Sparkling Trio were the primary performers in The Living Room and on the Pool Deck stage. Eric himself led one of the most energetic White Night performances that we have experienced.

• Like 1

I attended the 1 hour session with Eric in Cabaret and agree with what you have documented in this thread although this was my first Azamara cruise so I have no experience of what the entertainment was like previously.

I was on the Pursuit and saw 2 of the new shows which were fantastic - Musically Yours and On Broadway. There was one that we missed called Four on the Floor and have heard from friends that one is also fantastic. . I am excited to hear this rotation news and look forward to the dancing shows as well. Sounds very exciting. 

53 minutes ago, postnobills said:

This is nice to hear, but I wish they would also bring back the two musicians that got cut from the ship orchestras.

Based upon Eric's presentation, for the reason stated in my first post that restoration doesn't seem likely.

Part of Eric's presentation was on how technology was being used to replace live musicians in a number of venues, not just on cruise ships.

Edited by nordski

5 hours ago, QueenP said:

Which musicians were cut? That's such a shame, one of my favourite shows last year was the band playing Glenn Miller. Take away 2 musicians and I don't think you could play that any more.

On our cruise the band did offer a performance of big band era music. We were unable to attend.

The band is, as now structured, a quintet: piano, percussion, bass, trumpet, and saxaphone.

35 minutes ago, excitedofharpenden said:

When you say two dancers, do you mean the ballroom dancers?

Phil

That’s what I took Eric to mean.

Perhaps others had a different interpretation.

I must confess that we pay little attention to the dancers on board and their role, but realize that others really appreciate their presence.

43 minutes ago, nordski said:

That’s what I took Eric to mean.

Perhaps others had a different interpretation.

I must confess that we pay little attention to the dancers on board and their role, but realize that others really appreciate their presence.

The ballroom dancers have been a big loss to me.  I really hope they come back.  Sasha and Dima (for those that know them) are currently on a NCL for a few days and will be back on Pursuit for a week in November. 

Phil

17 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

The ballroom dancers have been a big loss to me.  I really hope they come back.  Sasha and Dima (for those that know them) are currently on a NCL for a few days and will be back on Pursuit for a week in November. 

Phil

I wish I could be more specific.

I do hope that you get your wish. I remember that Sasha and Dima in particular had a lot of supporters on this forum.

1 minute ago, nordski said:

I wish I could be more specific.

I do hope that you get your wish. I remember that Sasha and Dima in particular had a lot of supporters on this forum.

And it wasn’t just there onstage performances (the number they did at the LCV party was memorable), but also they ran group and private ballroom dance classes which to me were so "up Azamara's street" in terms of organised activities.  They need to get them and other ballroom dance couples back ASAP in my view.

Phil

4 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

And it wasn’t just there onstage performances (the number they did at the LCV party was memorable), but also they ran group and private ballroom dance classes which to me were so "up Azamara's street" in terms of organised activities.  They need to get them and other ballroom dance couples back ASAP in my view.

Phil

I couldn't agree more.

9 hours ago, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil

Couldn't agree more. Sasha and Dima and Alex and Alina were fantastic entertainers and dancers and I miss them very much on Azamara. It was a huge mistake to get rid of them, in my opinion. 

Sasha also does a hand made jewellery class which is a lot of fun. She makes beautiful bracelets...I have a few. 😄

On 10/18/2018 at 5:55 PM, excitedofharpenden said:

Phil

Sasha and Dima are back on Pursuit now for this cruise - looking forward to seeing them again.

Just now, excitedofharpenden said:

At the moment it's just a short one.  I really hope the contract comes back for them and other ballroom dancers.

Phil

Thanks Phil I should have known you would know 🙂  I wish they had been on the TA Mr Two Left Feet is weakening in my plea we learn to dance and not look like the weegies chat up line  - Can I borrow your carcass for the next struggle......