One Way Air Fares On Spring Transatlantic Are Crazy!!

happy 2 b cruising

Need  a one way ticket from Southampton to South Florida in April.  Ticket prices are more than triple than we used to pay.  Has anybody gotten any reasonably priced airfare recently?  Would appreciate your replies.  Currently.my Roll Call is still not working to ask this question.

I’ve been watching those prices and they are fluctuating wildly.  I am rolling the dice with Norwegian as I really do not want to fly into MIA.   Norwegian’s rates have gone up twice.  Their Dreamliners are having Roll Royce engine issues that has caused mass misery for many people. 

Flights from BCN back to the states took a big jump and we had to change airports in the US. We will drive home the last 2.5 hours. To fly into our hometown was TRIPLE flying to a different airport. The flights were going to be more than the cost of the TA! We did use Choice Air which was far lower than Kayak or any other flight site

I always purchase my tickets early on Choice Air. but I have seeen the fares that are being discussed on here, along with previous posts and some are rediculous.  Prices alwasy go so much higher when the econmy is doing well.  Hopefully, they will come down at certain times...Good Luck!  I read an article last spring that talked about much higher airline prices due to various reasons, one which was oil.  Sorry, but I do not recall the other two.

Edited by Lastdance

Choice Air used to be a reliable way to get discounted one-way transatlantic airfare (especially business class).  As has been discussed on other threads recently, that no longer seems to be the case.  The only bright spot is that some people reported still being able to get highly discounted fares -  it seems to fluctuate.  I've already booked my airfare for my next two cruises at discounted rates, but if business class fares don't improve in future it will certainly affect my cruising plans.

4 hours ago, happy 2 b cruising said:

Thank- you all for your responses.  Has anyone used Icelandic Air to return to the US from England?

It’s been a few years, but yes it was fine.   Connecting in Reykjavik (technically Keflavik) is a breeze.

Joe

Glad I purchased our return tickets for the Edge April crossing a few months ago.   I got business class for $1000 pp one way Edinburgh to Portland on Delta our preferred carrier.

Fingers crossed for everyone else that prices come down.   Last I checked they would be a non-starter for us.

Joe

56 minutes ago, JoePDX said:

Glad I purchased our return tickets for the Edge April crossing a few months ago.   I got business class for $1000 pp one way Edinburgh to Portland on Delta our preferred carrier.

Fingers crossed for everyone else that prices come down.   Last I checked they would be a non-starter for us.

Joe

Got my fingers crossed too 🤞🏼to see some kind of a price break.  Never thought I would be in this position to cancel a cruise because of crazy air fares 😞

part of the problem is the price of fuel has gone up about 20% in the last 6 months. That certainly doesn't explain a 3X increase but it does count for some of the increase.  I'm looking at flights to Miami and they are about 30% higher than I paid last year.

7 hours ago, happy 2 b cruising said:

Thank- you all for your responses.  Has anyone used Icelandic Air to return to the US from England?

We also used Iceland Air and just want to add that the 48 hour layover allows you to get in a good bit of sightseeing.  We enjoyed our time there immensely.

We have needed one way flights To florida twice, and booked returns both times.

First time we booked the return for november when the out was April

We the cruised to florida and used the return

Two Ta's with one return flight booking

For our next April ta we booked the return for January the following year, then booked a florida holiday over Christmas and booked a one way norwegeion to get us to fort lauderdale.

Friends of mine have done many TA cruises and usually book roundtrip starting with the airport nearest disembarkation in your case Heathrow or Manchester, Gatwick, etc. and don’t fly the return! So your search would be RT from LHR to Miami, or wherever, and you fly the outbound flight, not the return! Could check oneways on British Airways, or other European carriers as well. Hope you find something reasonable!

On 10/17/2018 at 10:21 AM, happy 2 b cruising said:

Need  a one way ticket from Southampton to South Florida in April.  Ticket prices are more than triple than we used to pay.  Has anybody gotten any reasonably priced airfare recently?  Would appreciate your replies.  Currently.my Roll Call is still not working to ask this question.

I'm arriving in Southampton on Edge in May and booked return air from Heathrow to Washington Dulles.  Fare was $394 on Choice Air when I booked in June.  Checking today, the same flight is pricing out at $839.  

Our TA organised BA flights and fll hotel package for a great price. When we tried to just buy a one way flight ourselves prices were exorbitant. Ba have a flight Gatwick to FLL which is much easier then Miami for the cruiseport 

Ask a Ta for a one way flight combined with a hotel. You might get a better deal.

See you on board!

• 2 months later...