Poolside Theft?

Lady_Cruise

It may be unlikely, but why take the chance of ruining a perfectly good vacation by leaving behind something valuable enough to be worth taking? I'd say leave the phone behind or buy a waterproof case or pouch. They also exist for cameras.

15 hours ago, mef_57 said:

I have been wondering what I will do with my phone by the pool.  It is my e-reader and I read a lot.  I have a waterproof sleeve, so can take it with me, but my other suggestion is to swim early on - not taking the Kindle or phone out of your bag until after the swim.  Chances are the stolen phones and cameras are seen in use, then put into a bag and then the person walks away.  Buried deep in a bag and maybe inside something else (a make up bag?) is going to be too cumbersome for casual theft.

I also like e readers; but for me, a phone is too expensive to take the chance. Can stop at the airport gift shop and get a paperback or most ships (not sure about carnival?) have libraries where you can borrow books during your trip.

On 10/19/2018 at 10:33 AM, Lady_Cruise said:

Thank you all so much! This is very reassuring!!

I don't bring anything valuable to the pool, usually just towel, book, cover-up, sandals, Seapass. My husband's not big on pools, so he'll sit and read while I go for a dip, so I've never worried. Some of our group will have kindles (older models, nothing too fancy). These are all great points about verifying SeaPass charges and other people generally keeping an eye on their surroundings too. Thank you all!!

Chalk me up as another who only brings a towel, sunglasses, sunscreen, and maybe a book to the pool.  Oh, and my waterproof camera, but that stays strapped to my wrist.

50 minutes ago, October17 said:

I leave my kindle and iPhone in a “safe bag”that is attached to the lounger on beaches. I have a Loc Tote branded one from Amazon, it looks like a regular beach bag, but is actually slash proof and lockable etc. 🙂

https://www.amazon.com/LOCTOTE-Flak-Sack-Theft-Resistant-Slash-Resistant/dp/B01MTEK78R

I looked at the reviews for the bag on Amazon.  There were 87 reviews for the bag but only 68 of them were from verified purchasers.  That means that 20% of the reviews were by trolls paid for by the company that sold the bag.  Also, 14% of the verified purchaser reviews were 1 or 2 star reviews.  Not sure if I would buy the product based on these facts.

The idea may be good but not the product.

DON

1 hour ago, donaldsc said:

I looked at the reviews for the bag on Amazon.  There were 87 reviews for the bag but only 68 of them were from verified purchasers.  That means that 20% of the reviews were by trolls paid for by the company that sold the bag.  Also, 14% of the verified purchaser reviews were 1 or 2 star reviews.  Not sure if I would buy the product based on these facts.

The idea may be good but not the product.

DON

Well, I have the bag, and really like it, which is why I posted about it. I have also posted a review, although mine does not show up as verified purchase either, since I bought it direct from the manufacturer and the one for my brother from Amazon uk. 

I actually bought a spare 10” square of the fabric directly from the maker as well, to test with my scissors & knife. I was able to poke a small hole in the bag with a very sharp knife, but not able to enlarge the hole. Tried ripping with pliers etc. and the wire that is inside the black fabric “strap” which you attach  it to a secure object, feels thick enough. Sure, not “bomb proof” but secure enough, no one is going to snatch it or quickly get into the bag. 

B9BA7FA9-466B-4472-8C01-D80DBD1154E1.jpeg

Edited by October17