Monaco or Nice?

lightsleeper

Our cruise next Sept stops at VilleFranche. We intend to DIY  by taking the train to either Monaco or Nice. We are torn between the two as both sound great, but we only have one day for the visit. 

Was wondering if anyone could help making the choice...... We are not interested in art museums

We were just in Monaco for the day on our Windstar cruise and we took the train to Nice. We wandered the flower market and the various neighborhoods, had lunch and then took the train back to Monaco. Wandered a few streets and called it good and headed back to the ship. If we had had time I would have gotten off the train at one of the other small towns. No one in our group wanted to spend any time in Monaco. 

If it was me I would go to Monaco over Nice.  

I have been to Monaco several times and most recently was in Nice.

I find that there is a lot more to do and see in Monaco.  

Now for something special look at Eze which we also visited a few weeks ago.

Keith

We found a tour that took us to Nice and Eze on the same day (from Villefrance).  I would choose that again over Monaco.  Here is a link to pictures from each.

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/626

https://markandkareneurope2012.shutterfly.com/pictures/668

https://southerneurope.shutterfly.com/pictures/231

• 1 month later...

I agree you could do both on the train but you may spend more time worrying about the schedule than you would like. If I had to pick one I would pick Nice. Not as glamorous as Monaco but more to see and do. Promenade des Anglais is a great walk, Matisse museum is interesting as is the Roman ruins right next door. Old city and the market in Nice are both worth some time exploring. Russian cathedral is also worth a stop.

You can also do it by bus. Both the 100 and the 81 bus stop in Villefranche and will get you to Nice in about 10- 15 minutes for 1 Euro 50 per person. Tickets sold on the bus by the driver, no need for exact change. 100 ends at the marina in Nice and the 81 goes into the Promenade des Arts. 100 runs about every 15 minutes and 81 about every 30 minutes. If you take the 81 your bus ticket is good for another connection on their system ( bus or city tram) so long as you get on within 75 minutes of your first trip.

If you are interested in a day tour run by a tour company look into a company called Friend in France. My wife and I just got back from 2 1/2 months in an apartment in Beaulieu sur Mer (next village over from Villefranche) We used them a couple of times for airport transfers from Nice airport for us and some friends that visited and they were very good. Always on time, nice cars or vans and english speaking drivers. I know they do day tours and would think they are just as professional there too.

Whatever you do don't over stress your decision. The area is beautiful the people very nice and you will enjoy whatever you pick.