Considering a wifi package. Anyone done the unlimited plan? Worth $400?

milokama

When we first started cruising we went with 1 device and shared between the 2 of us.  We no longer do that as it is inconvenient and it is worth the extra $ to get 2 devices so that we can get on as much as we want and when we want.  For a 2-week cruise, the 2nd device really only costs about $100-$120 more.  It does not break the bank and it makes us both happier.

46 minutes ago, PoppyandNana said:

What would anyone pay $400 for unlimited WiFi?  Can’t imagine anyone being so important that they need to be on the phone or computer that much.  The first thing we do we we get to cabin is put the phone in airplane mode and put it,in the safe.  12 days later we take it out. 

Staying in touch with my family (children, grandchildren, aging relatives) while away is priceless and gives me piece of mind. Even though wifi is available in most ports, we also buy a roaming package for our phone that allows us to be reached via phone/text so that there is pretty much always a way to get a hold of us.   I wouldn't be able to relax and enjoy the cruise otherwise.  

• Like 1

I realize there are more than a few who don’t understand why many use the internet on a cruise and think its a waste of money or  those that do are rich...or wasteful. I don’t spend a lot of time on the internet, but I’ve found that the system on most ships to be slow and the standard non-unlimited was used up quickly, and some cases accidently used up early on. I’m sure others have accidently left the system on or not logged off properly. 

And those that wait to use Wi-Fi ashore? I find that a waste of good ashore time. I’ll relax onboard and get access and enjoy max time ashore not sitting in some bar or cafe plugging away. So each of us have our priorites. 

Yes, there are reasons to have access beyond checking emails a few times during the cruise. And each of us who do have many varying reasons. And I get the unlimited for one system for my wife and I for our reasons that don’t need to be explained. 

Den

• Like 1

2 hours ago, PoppyandNana said:

What would anyone pay $400 for unlimited WiFi?  Can’t imagine anyone being so important that they need to be on the phone or computer that much.  The first thing we do we we get to cabin is put the phone in airplane mode and put it,in the safe.  12 days later we take it out. 

Must be nice.

I buy a WiFi package because we are the caregivers of my two elderly parents, 103 year old mother-in-law and disabled son. We also leave contact info with the dog sitter. We will never be able to the phone in our safes while on vacation. 

Edited by Marelaine

To be honest I would use it onboard just to surf the net, don’t need it for anything else. I’m just not willing to pay the rip  off prices for something that’s sooo slow. However I can understand it’s important for many for some of the reasons given above. The question was though “is it worth it”. If it’s just to surf the net no, but if it’s for some of those other things pointed out above for many it’s seen as vital so for them yes regardless of price.

17 minutes ago, sr4mjc said:

If you buy the 2 (or more) device package, how do they deliver the login information? does it have to be used by someone in the same cabin?  

They leave cards with a code and instructions for creating an account in the cabin or you get it at check in. Can’t remeber which but it’s easy.