This new forum is messed up! Good luck finding your old roll call. What was wrong with the old one where you could pick up with the last post? C'mon Cruisecritic, what's the point with making things more complicated? I may just go another direction.

3 minutes ago, Kennykat said:

I guess my title was "wrong". This new format is way messed up! Let us find our roll calls with the last post!!!! Why, oh why do you have to make things sooo complicated?

Sorry, I don't really find the basic use of this new site more complicated than the old one.

To find a Roll Call, real easy, just go to the Roll Calls forum and scroll down to find your cruise line's roll calls.  Click on that.  Then you'll find a list of each ship for that cruise line's roll calls.  Click on the appropriate one, and the look through the threads to find yours.

The "Find Your Roll Call" link (with the gold star) is part of the search function, and the search function is not totally functional right now, as they are still indexing the millions of posts/threads from the old site.  Once the indexing is complete, it's supposed to be better.  But, I'll point out that the "Find Your Roll Call" link (even on the old site) was flawed and didn't show all roll calls, causing people to actually have to navigate around the site to locate theirs.  

6 hours ago, Kennykat said:

Let us find our roll calls with the last post!!!!

6 hours ago, Shmoo here said:

To find a Roll Call, real easy, just go to the Roll Calls forum and scroll down to find your cruise line's roll calls.  Click on that.  Then you'll find a list of each ship for that cruise line's roll calls.  Click on the appropriate one, and the look through the threads to find yours.

And to go to the latest posts - those which are still unread by you - click on the blue dot (or star) to the left of the thread title, which will take you directly to the first unread post.

On 10/21/2018 at 8:24 PM, Shmoo here said:

Sorry, I don't really find the basic use of this new site more complicated than the old one.

The "Find Your Roll Call" link (with the gold star) is part of the search function, and the search function is not totally functional right now, as they are still indexing the millions of posts/threads from the old site.  Once the indexing is complete, it's supposed to be better.  But, I'll point out that the "Find Your Roll Call" link (even on the old site) was flawed and didn't show all roll calls, causing people to actually have to navigate around the site to locate theirs.  

Too many ... click...click...click's.......Also why am I having to sign in again to see my rollcalls ??

Also why is the site so "Bright" now....hard on the eyes and don't feel I should have to adjust my desktop to read CC..............still having a hard time with this apparently new upgrades version....change is hard for some of us.

Edited by Ashland

On 10/21/2018 at 11:17 PM, Kennykat said:

I guess my title was "wrong". This new format is way messed up! Let us find our roll calls with the last post!!!! Why, oh why do you have to make things sooo complicated?

So messed up that you managed to find a new feature, embarrassingly long titles.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

Apparently there should be :classic_ohmy:

Unlimited pictures is a little rough as well.  😉

6 was a little slim, especially when counting emoji's, but 59. 😱

Hard to navigate, and would hate to run across that with lousy ship internet.

252522579_morethen6photos.jpeg.defb6d9a8c663ff856e7e152b7221254.jpeg

Very tongue in cheek.  The poster was a sport.

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Haha 1

I stopped receiving all of the notifications from Cruise Critic on October 9 - it's SO frustrating!! What was wrong with the old system? In order for me to read the forums I'm on, I need to log in - I no longer receive emails indicating that someone has added a new thread!!! So frustrating - how can this be fixed? I have become an expert on my settings in Cruise Critic and have tried turning them on and off - nothing is working!! Help!!!

2 hours ago, momusa27 said:

I stopped receiving all of the notifications from Cruise Critic on October 9 - it's SO frustrating!! What was wrong with the old system? In order for me to read the forums I'm on, I need to log in - I no longer receive emails indicating that someone has added a new thread!!! So frustrating - how can this be fixed? I have become an expert on my settings in Cruise Critic and have tried turning them on and off - nothing is working!! Help!!!

To control notifications generally use https://boards.cruisecritic.com/notifications/options/. There are two parts to this page. The top part, above the first Save button, controls notifications globally and allows one to specify how often one might receive them.

The bottom part, below the first Save button and above the second Save button, allows for more granular control over notifications. There are two types of notifications possible popups and email. One can select the form of notification for various types of events. The lower Save button must be used if changes are made in this area of the form.

One can have different notification settings for each followed thread using https://boards.cruisecritic.com/followed/. I have no real idea how settings here are resolved if they conflict with those in Notification Settings described above.

Finally, when one posts in a thread or creates a new topic/thread, there is a Notify me of replies checkbox in the low left corner of the edit.

If you wish to get notifications for new threads in a forum open the forum and click on the Follow to the right of the forum title. In bottom section of Notification Settings, Notification List and Email should be checked appropriately for New content for things I follow.

42 minutes ago, broberts said:

To control notifications generally use https://boards.cruisecritic.com/notifications/options/. There are two parts to this page. The top part, above the first Save button, controls notifications globally and allows one to specify how often one might receive them.

The bottom part, below the first Save button and above the second Save button, allows for more granular control over notifications. There are two types of notifications possible popups and email. One can select the form of notification for various types of events. The lower Save button must be used if changes are made in this area of the form.

One can have different notification settings for each followed thread using https://boards.cruisecritic.com/followed/. I have no real idea how settings here are resolved if they conflict with those in Notification Settings described above.

To clarify - because I too think it was a little confusing.  The first place you mention:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/notifications/options/ controls how you receive notifications for new things you follow -- it changes your default method so the next topic you reply to or post you make will follow these new defaults.  HOWEVER changing that will not change any settings that were already applied to what you followed in the past.  You would have to go to the manage your followed content area to change how you receive notifications for items you already follow.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/followed/

I personally think having a "change all current followed content to this default" on the notification options would be a fabulous feature and help it become less confusing -- I have jotted this idea down to discuss

Edited by CC Help Jenn
clarity
  • Thanks 2

38 minutes ago, CC Help Jenn said:

I personally think having a "change all current followed content to this default" on the notification options would be a fabulous feature and help it become less confusing -- I have jotted this idea down to discuss

Thank you, Jenn. That is a great idea.

Thanks for saying this. I'm a newcomer. It's good to know that we're apparently dealing with a new page design. I have accidentally started two or three new roll-calls for the exact same trip. One of them disappeared from the search after I put it in, but then someone replied to it.

In the meantime, I think I found the main roll call for my upcoming cruise. I can't figure out how to reply to a post within a roll-call; apparently there's only one level of post within a particular roll-call, so replies get detached from their original messages. It's not easy to tell when something was posted. I kept seeing the date under the person's name on the left: I thought that was the post date, so I then thought there were posts for multiple years of a Ship + Itinerary.  (What is that date anyway? I don't think it's people's birthdays :classic_biggrin:) Anyway, I'll keep plugging away. Maybe try Safari instead of Chrome. 

10 minutes ago, GGrace said:

It's not easy to tell when something was posted.

It's immediately to the right of the poster's name, above the body of the post. At the moment, your post to which I'm replying says "GGrace Posted 9 minutes ago" - which would seem to be clear enough.

11 minutes ago, GGrace said:

Thanks for saying this. I'm a newcomer. It's good to know that we're apparently dealing with a new page design. I have accidentally started two or three new roll-calls for the exact same trip. One of them disappeared from the search after I put it in, but then someone replied to it.

In the meantime, I think I found the main roll call for my upcoming cruise. I can't figure out how to reply to a post within a roll-call; apparently there's only one level of post within a particular roll-call, so replies get detached from their original messages. It's not easy to tell when something was posted. I kept seeing the date under the person's name on the left: I thought that was the post date, so I then thought there were posts for multiple years of a Ship + Itinerary.  (What is that date anyway? I don't think it's people's birthdays :classic_biggrin:) Anyway, I'll keep plugging away. Maybe try Safari instead of Chrome. 

To associate replies with particular posts use the Quote link in the post. This will reproduce the original post as shown here. Type your reply below the box.

To the left of the Quote link is a + button. Clicking it will add the post to a multiple reply list. A button will float bottom right of your screen with a count of the posts to be quoted. Clicking the Quote n posts button will open a reply editor with each of the posts in is own quote box. Simply type replies below each box.

3 minutes ago, broberts said:

To associate replies with particular posts use the Quote link in the post. This will reproduce the original post as shown here. Type your reply below the box.

And if you want to quote only part of a post, just select (highlight) that part with your cursor. After about half a second, a small pop-up box will appear saying "Quote selection". Click on that, and the reply box will be filled with only the part of the post you want to quote.

You can scroll up the page and repeat this exercise, or click the Quote button on other posts, and the text you want to quote will be added to the reply box at the point where your cursor is.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CC Help Jenn said:

To clarify - because I too think it was a little confusing.  The first place you mention:  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/notifications/options/ controls how you receive notifications for new things you follow -- it changes your default method so the next topic you reply to or post you make will follow these new defaults.  HOWEVER changing that will not change any settings that were already applied to what you followed in the past.  You would have to go to the manage your followed content area to change how you receive notifications for items you already follow.  https://boards.cruisecritic.com/followed/

Hi Jenn,

Thanks for your information, but I am still totally confused and the program is still not working - I know what you're talking about because I've checked and unchecked every conceivable possibility under the "notification list", but it's still not sending me anything from my cruise critic forums!!!! This is totally ridiculous! What did Cruise Critic do to change the system so that their members no longer receive information? I don't understand!! Do I need to "unsubscribe" and sign in again to start receiving emails again? Would that help????

7 hours ago, momusa27 said:

I know what you're talking about because I've checked and unchecked every conceivable possibility under the "notification list", but it's still not sending me anything from my cruise critic forums!!!!

But have you done the second thing that CC Help Jenn has suggested? That is, going to https://boards.cruisecritic.com/followed/ and looking to see what the notification setting is for each thread that you have followed?

7 hours ago, momusa27 said:

I don't understand!! Do I need to "unsubscribe" and sign in again to start receiving emails again? Would that help????

There are not nearly as many options for already subscribed threads, so I would unsubscribe as you suggested. Be sure you have the overall setting as you want them before resubscribing.

John

21 hours ago, broberts said:

...for each followed thread using https://boards.cruisecritic.com/followed/.

I've been using this to see the threads that I follow. It is the closest to what I used with the old system. But, it doesn't have the page links that allows me to go to the last page. Is there a better place to go to follow the Roll Calls that I am on?

UPDATE: I think I found it - Under Activity I found Activity Streams with a multitude of options. I'm getting a LOT more info than I want. Someone who is following a lot of threads, whould be inundated with information. SIGH! I like most of the changes, but I'll bet a lot of folks would like a [SIMPLIFY] button.

Edited by JWGrayson

4 minutes ago, JWGrayson said:

Is there a better place to go to follow the Roll Calls that I am on?

My Activity Streams - especially setting up a custom Activity Stream - is probably the best way to do this. Try this:-

Go to https://boards.cruisecritic.com/discover/?do=create

Give your Stream a title.

Use these settings:-

• Show me: Content items only
  • Clicking unread items: Take me to the first unread comment
  • Content type: Topics - Then click the Settings wheel to the right, click on Select, and using the drop-down list, drill down to each Roll Call forum you are interested in, and click on it - you can click on as many as you like and they will all be added to the list (click again on a name to deselect it).
  • Read status: Content I haven't read
  • Ownership: Everything
  • Default view: Condensed
  • Following: Only content I follow
  • Time Period: Any time

Click Save Changes.

You will then find a link to the Stream (named as you chose) under Activity --> My Activity Streams --> Custom Streams.

Does that do the job that you would like it to do?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Globaliser said:

But have you done the second thing that CC Help Jenn has suggested? That is, going to https://boards.cruisecritic.com/followed/ and looking to see what the notification setting is for each thread that you have followed?

Yes! Yes! Yes!! I've done exactly what Jenn suggested and NOTHING works!!!