Subscribed Threads list - can we have them back please!

On 11/2/2018 at 7:29 PM, MisterBill99 said:

I appreciate the help but the bottom lie for me is that these are what I consider unusual measures that users should not need to go thru to get back a feature which it's pretty apparent that many people used.

One nice thing I noticed about going thru Activity Streams link is that it takes me to the new posts, rather than the first page.

On a mobile device it is a single button on the blue bar next to the search. The sort and filters would need to be set once

A

Screenshot_20181104-080222_Chrome.jpg

I realized there is something already present that should show what I and others want. On the top right corner, if I click on my screen name there is a "Manage Followed Content" in about the same place where the link to view subscribed threads were. However, the date/time listed are wrong and I'm not sure what they are intended to be. I know for this thread it shows the following, but the latest post was today! The thread was created on 10/22, and I did post on 10/24, but in theory with weekly notification I should have gotten notification within the past week. Also would be nice to see who the last post was by as we used to get.

Subscribed Threads list - can we have them back please!

By nearlytheir, October 22 in Need Help? Ask Here!
 October 24
 Weekly notification

5 hours ago, MisterBill99 said:

I realized there is something already present that should show what I and others want. On the top right corner, if I click on my screen name there is a "Manage Followed Content" in about the same place where the link to view subscribed threads were.

Manage Followed Content is not a good way of trying to follow the actual content. It is only for managing it. It does not show what you and others want. It does not replicate the old subscribed threads list. As I have already said above in this thread:-

On 10/26/2018 at 5:04 PM, Globaliser said:

Hopefully sooner rather than later, the message will percolate through that Manage Followed Content is not the best way of doing this. It's not what it was designed for. My Activity Streams is the function here that does what the old User CP used to do.

FWIW, the date and time in the Manage Followed Content list is the date and time at which you began to follow the thread (or forum, in that separate list). That alone should tell you that this is not the way to follow the content itself.

11 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Manage Followed Content is not a good way of trying to follow the actual content. It is only for managing it. It does not show what you and others want. It does not replicate the old subscribed threads list. As I have already said above in this thread:-

FWIW, the date and time in the Manage Followed Content list is the date and time at which you began to follow the thread (or forum, in that separate list). That alone should tell you that this is not the way to follow the content itself.

I'm tired of arguing this. Yes, Manage Followed Content is not a good way of watching subscribed threads BECAUSE THEY CHANGED WHAT THE LINK THAT USED TO BE THERE DOES. You can keep making excuses and unless you actually work for CC or have something to do with the development of the site, I'll take what you say the same way I take comments from the cruise line apologists always have an excuse when someone criticizes their favorite cruise line. Stop making excuses and acknowledge that there is an issue that many people think needs to be resolved. Or don't, I really don't care. Bottom line, there was a feature in the old board that was equivalent to what other boards offer. They took it away and gave us views that do not provide comparable (or generally useful) information. They should fix it.

Cruise Critic presumably wants people to spend more time on this site. Making it easy to see that there is activity in their subscribed topics will make them want to spend more time here. Getting frustrated by not being able to find the updated topics will not.

Edited by MisterBill99

1 hour ago, MisterBill99 said:

Yes, Manage Followed Content is not a good way of watching subscribed threads BECAUSE THEY CHANGED WHAT THE LINK THAT USED TO BE THERE DOES.

There never was a "link that used to be there". The old software never had a "Manage Followed Content" link. CC has not changed what "Manage Followed Content" used to do, because it did not exist in the old software.

This software is new. It has different links and different functions from the old software. Some of what the old software used to do has to be done differently. This is what you are (deliberately?) refusing to understand.

It's a bit like you getting into the front left-hand seat of a right-hand drive car and complaining that there's no steering wheel on that side and that they've changed the side from which you drive and that you want the steering wheel back on the left-hand side. If you try to use a new function on this software to try do something that (a) the old software did in a different way and (b) the new software does in a different way, you will be disappointed - as you clearly are.

1 hour ago, MisterBill99 said:

Making it easy to see that there is activity in their subscribed topics will make them want to spend more time here.

And "activity" is the key word. In the new software, you see "activity" by going to the ... wait for it, wait for it .. the Activity Streams.

2 hours ago, Globaliser said:

There never was a "link that used to be there". The old software never had a "Manage Followed Content" link. CC has not changed what "Manage Followed Content" used to do, because it did not exist in the old software.

This software is new. It has different links and different functions from the old software. Some of what the old software used to do has to be done differently. This is what you are (deliberately?) refusing to understand.

Here's what I understand. A link to easily find all of your subscribed threads (with the most recently updated ones on top and telling you when and who last posted) is a standard feature of every board software I use. The old Cruise Critic had it, but it was not a unique feature to the site (as in "wow, they thought of something that no one else had"). The new boards no longer have it. It is not a matter of "it's new software so it doesn't have all the features of the old one". It's "it doesn't have a standard (and necessary, to many, based on posts here) feature of board software".

The other thing that would be nice is for someone from Cruise Critic to participate in some of these threads so they can understand features that people are asking for and possibly acknowledge that they need to update it.

Edited by MisterBill99

So I finally gave in and did the custom view as suggested earlier and it does indeed work. But I still feel it should be a standard part of the system and show up under the Activity tab.  Has anyone actually used "Our Picks" which is wasting space there? I read on another board that people are seeing less activity in their forum and I wouldn't be surprised if it's because people are not seeing their updated threads.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2018 at 9:01 AM, Globaliser said:

Go to https://boards.cruisecritic.com/discover/?do=create

Select the following options:-

• Show me: Content items only
  • Clicking Unread Items: Take me to the first unread comment
  • Content Types: Topics
  • Read Status: Everything
  • Ownership: Everything
  • Default View: Condensed
  • Following: Only content I follow
  • Time Period: Any time

Enter a name into Stream Title.

Click Save Changes at the bottom of the page.

You can thereafter find this under Activity --> My Activity Streams --> Custom Streams. You can create a shortcut/bookmark with that URL for easy access.

I am really glad I found this thread. I HATE this new format and was about to give up on CC. This custom stream is a huge help though and makes it much easier for me to follow my roll calls and threads I post to. 

Thank you Globaliser for posting this. 

• Like 1

I have been absent for some time and recently resumed reading Cruise Critic, only to discover the  underlying system that manages the forum has changed.  Now I am not a noob with forums and boards.  I have worked as a computer professional for more than 20 years.  But I have had admit it has taken me several hours of frustration to figure out how to filter the content.  It wasn't until I found this thread that I began to understand how the new system works.  (Thanks Globalizer for your help on this thread!!!).  I can understand from first hand experience how frustrating it is learn a new system WHEN THERE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE ANY DOCUMENTATION ON HOW TO USE IT!  Is it hiding somewhere I just haven't found?  Or is it missing?  If it's hiding, then maybe a new, more prominent location should be found.  The frustration I see in some of the posters is understandable.  I felt it myself.  

Suggestion:  How about a "How To" sticky topic in the HELP area?  Useful information like how to setup a followed topic/thread screen (i.e. Globalizer's good work here) would help reduce the frustration level as users move to the new system.  If the forum is hard to use (filter, etc) then we all will be the losers as members drop off. 

Greg  

3 hours ago, GregnChris said:

Suggestion:  How about a "How To" sticky topic in the HELP area?  Useful information like how to setup a followed topic/thread screen (i.e. Globalizer's good work here) would help reduce the frustration level as users move to the new system.  If the forum is hard to use (filter, etc) then we all will be the losers as members drop off. 

That would assume that anyone from CC is even reading these posts. If they were, perhaps they'd see that if everyone is going to the trouble of creating a custom view, they should just put it back into the system for everyone without having to customize the system. It's not like CC is a board run by an individual, CC is owned by a big company and users shouldn't be left on their own like this.

Either way, it would be nice to have some acknowledgement that they understand that this is a concern.

Edited by MisterBill99

4 hours ago, GregnChris said:

I have been absent for some time and recently resumed reading Cruise Critic, only to discover the  underlying system that manages the forum has changed.  Now I am not a noob with forums and boards.  I have worked as a computer professional for more than 20 years.  But I have had admit it has taken me several hours of frustration to figure out how to filter the content.  It wasn't until I found this thread that I began to understand how the new system works.  (Thanks Globalizer for your help on this thread!!!).  I can understand from first hand experience how frustrating it is learn a new system WHEN THERE DOESN'T SEEM TO BE ANY DOCUMENTATION ON HOW TO USE IT!  Is it hiding somewhere I just haven't found?  Or is it missing?  If it's hiding, then maybe a new, more prominent location should be found.  The frustration I see in some of the posters is understandable.  I felt it myself.  

Greg  

They have been in place since the boards re-opened a month ago. They are at the top of page for this sub-forum.

It has been a tough transition. No one likes change and the learning curve on this one has been steep but we are slowly getting the hang of how things work in our new home so that we can get back to the real reason we are here: to talk with friends about cruising. 

image.png.647838dd130728d1e5c974ffab2c99b8.png