Can't search in forum

1 hour ago, floridalover5623 said:

The new improved search option is nearly worthless, IMO. It cannot be narrowed down to specific forums, with results coming back for everything. 

It depends on what you are working on  - even on my £20    7" tablet I can

search within topic or within forum -  even easier on a laptop/pc

Edited by Aulanis

4 hours ago, floridalover5623 said:

The new improved search option is nearly worthless, IMO. It cannot be narrowed down to specific forums, with results coming back for everything. 

At least bring back the old search feature as the new one will only cause more questions than answers. 

There is a "This Forum" option if you are in the right place.  Best with full screen. 

2 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Yes it can. I think that there are plenty of instructions already in this thread.

For example, if I'm in the Princess forum & I search for "TV" I get back results for TV in all forums. Carnival, Princess, NCL , Celibrity, etc.

With the old search if I was in the Princess forum I would only get results from the Princess forum. 

30 minutes ago, floridalover5623 said:

For example, if I'm in the Princess forum & I search for "TV" I get back results for TV in all forums. Carnival, Princess, NCL , Celibrity, etc.

With the old search if I was in the Princess forum I would only get results from the Princess forum. 

You have to explicitly place limits on where the search looks.

@floridalover5623

We probably need to know what you are working on to assist.

While you are in this forum  - scroll to the top.

On a pc on the righthand side is a box with "Search" in it and a magnifying glass.  Just click in the box where it says search and a deopdown should appear.     in the dropdown  see   This Forum - click that.

Then go back & click on the Search box and enter  TV   then click on the magnifying glass.  Should bring up the posts in this thread with TV in.

6 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Yes it can. I think that there are plenty of instructions already in this thread.

3 hours ago, broberts said:

You have to explicitly place limits on where the search looks.

If you're on the mobile version of the site, you cannot limit your search to the current forum nor to the current thread. You can on a desktop (Well, technically anything that has a viewport width of >1,201 pixels) but you can't on mobile unless you type out the query. Ain't no way that's intuitive.  You'd need to know the forum node # or the thread topic #. For example, if you want to search this thread on a phone, you'd need to type this into the URL line:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/search/?q="SEARCH QUERY TERMS"&type=forums_topic&item=2598124

Where you replace "SEARCH QUERY TERMS" with your query. That's darn near impossible to (1) figure out and (2) type accurately on a phone.

Hop on a phone, or resize your browser down to about 700 px wide and give it a shot. You won't see the "This Topic" or "This Forum" search options because they're not available.

16 hours ago, Aulanis said:

@floridalover5623

We probably need to know what you are working on to assist.

While you are in this forum  - scroll to the top.

On a pc on the righthand side is a box with "Search" in it and a magnifying glass.  Just click in the box where it says search and a deopdown should appear.     in the dropdown  see   This Forum - click that.

Then go back & click on the Search box and enter  TV   then click on the magnifying glass.  Should bring up the posts in this thread with TV in.

Ah yes.....now I see it. I was just filling in the search box first without clicking within the search box first to narrow my search. 

Poor development compared to the old layout.

Thanks

Edited by floridalover5623