Can't search in forum

Strange, but now I can't search in a specific forum.  I choose "Topics" but there is no option to search a specific forum.  Google Chrome on Windows 10.

EDIT:  The answer is not "More options".  I tried it several times just now.  Once I got the option for "This Forum".  But other times it only showed Everywhere, Topics etc.  See the second screenshot.

Also, I hate how the suggestions in the search box obscure the options on the drop down menu.

image.thumb.png.2ea6fe674d3d2324abc5aa82bb3750f5.png

image.thumb.png.286b757d87f7f411a596ee4bba0a77f2.png

Edited by zitsky
Added screenshot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

I'm on mobile right now.  There is no This Forum option.  You have to select a specific forum.  I tested in the NCL forum, which I believe has already been created.

I will test later on PC.

I can confirm that "This Forum" and "This Topic" do not appear on the Search In list of Android Firefox or Chrome.

Edited by broberts
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I cannot understand why the old set up was ditched.  So easy to use.  It was the best thing about the site for someone like me who hops around the lines.

I cannot be bothered to fiddle about now.  Looking for another website.

• Like 1

That you for posting that.  The owner needs to know if people are dissatisfied.  Although I am not sure they will do anything about it.  Search has become overly difficult.  Also the behavior changes based on the size of your browser window.

The "This Forum" option is missing from the search in the mobile and smaller tablet views. 

If you know the node # of the forum you want to search, there's a workaround. I wrote up the instructions for the Holland America board, which is node #103, but they work anywhere if you swap out the node in the query URL. (I realize that this isn't as elegant as actually having the problem fixed, but there's only so much I can do from my end.) 

10 hours ago, Klapka said:

I cannot understand why the old set up was ditched.  So easy to use.

Really? Are you sure that this isn't just nostalgia taking over?

The immediately preceding software set-up drove me up the wall and was a factor in my not coming here so often. It's the software version before that that in an ideal world I would like to have back.

6 hours ago, Globaliser said:

Really? Are you sure that this isn't just nostalgia taking over?

The immediately preceding software set-up drove me up the wall and was a factor in my not coming here so often. It's the software version before that that in an ideal world I would like to have back.

Which one was that? They were on vBulletin for ages - and an older version at that. Was it a different platform? Just curious. Thanks. 

30 minutes ago, broberts said:

We are stuck with what is and complaining about it doesn't really get us closer to a better experience.

I completely disagree.  Feedback can improve things if management is willing to listen.  If management doesn't want our feedback, we can go somewhere else.

2 hours ago, POA1 said:

Which one was that? They were on vBulletin for ages - and an older version at that. Was it a different platform?

No, it was the most recent tweak to vBulletin, which killed a lot of the keyboard shortcut-friendly things that one could do. I can't remember all of the issues I had with it, but ISTR there were things like not being able to type a post, TAB and then ENTER to post - pointing and clicking (UGH!) was compulsory.

3 hours ago, zitsky said:

I completely disagree.  Feedback can improve things if management is willing to listen.  If management doesn't want our feedback, we can go somewhere else.

Constructive feedback is good. But non-specific criticism and complaints are not helpful and tend to encourage others to tune out.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, broberts said:

Constructive feedback is good. But non-specific criticism and complaints are not helpful and tend to encourage others to tune out.

So all the problems with the current website should just be ignored?  I'm sorry if I'm whining.  It's not intentional. 

Clearly  the problems you flag up are real, however most of us put in the effort and make it work for us.  We dont seem able to help you and none of us can change the system for you.  If it is still a major problem for you email help@ cruisecritic.com

Edited by Aulanis
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, zitsky said:

So all the problems with the current website should just be ignored?

I think if you look through this forum, those of us who are posting regularly to help people are also posting about specific bugs and glitches that we find, and coming up with suggestions for improvements (some of which can be done quite quickly, and some of which will inevitably take longer because they require bigger software re-writes). That kind of constructive feedback is likely to help.

But there are a lot of whinges on this forum which amount to little more than "I don't like this", although sometimes said in less polite language. For better or worse, CC has made the decision to change and the change has happened. Unfocused bleats about the change will not make anything better. That's the kind of feedback which really does not help anyone, including those of us who are trying to provide help where we can.

• Like 1

What I take away from this conversation is that specific comments are welcome but general complaints are not.  Do I understand correctly?  I am not trying to be funny or sarcastic.  Just trying to set my own expectations.

13 minutes ago, zitsky said:

What I take away from this conversation is that specific comments are welcome but general complaints are not.  Do I understand correctly?  I am not trying to be funny or sarcastic.  Just trying to set my own expectations.

This is CC, people may post pretty much anything they want as long as it is reasonably polite.

At this point in time general complaints like "I hate this new format" or "I want the app back" have been expressed enough times that repeating them is pointless. But of course, anyone is free to make such posts. Just don't expect everyone else to agree or stay silent.