Ta upgrade list

Badgeaz

Just now, Badgeaz said:

Thanks for all the tips. I'll be curious  if my ta even contacts  me if princess sends me an upgrade  offer. This is the 1st and last time I'm using a ta

Good chance they will drop the ball and not contact you and if they do it will most likely be too late to respond.

Don't ban all TA's....there are some great ones out there still!

Mine saves me a minimum of 8% off the Princess cruise fare price.  😉

To the OP (Badgeaz) ; A quick look at the Princess website a few minutes ago shows a price difference of about $ 50.00 US between an inside cabin and an obstructed ocean view cabin. This is for the 10 day December 7 sailing.

The difference for the 10 day December 17 sailing is about $ 70.00 per person for the same scenario. 

All the 20 day sailings show as being sold out

As such this is not an upgrade but an upsell but IMHO well worth the extra $$.

Here is a picture of the view from E 201 which was available when I checked.

E201a.jpg?height=300&width=400

Theo

Edited by Renmar
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Badgeaz said:

I'd be happy if princess  gave me a higher category  inside as an upgrade or even a obstructed view inside  if that even exists. I think I saw those obstructed view inside cabins exist. 

You do realize the only difference in inside cabin categories is location, right? Princess could move you three cabins aftwards, to R248, and it would be an "upgrade." And no inside cabin has a view, obstructed or not. That's precisely why they're inside cabins.

Also, and someone will correct me if I'm wrong, unless Princess offers an upgrade, if you move from an inside to an obstructed view at this point it would technically be a cancel and rebook and you would lose part of your fare (unless you have cancel-for-any-reason insurance),  whatever perks were in effect when you booked, and the deposit if non-refundable. 

I've been on 25 Princess cruises, got one great comp upgrade (years ago, when that was more frequent), one meh comp upgrade, and one upsell offer (on the same ship where I'd previously gotten a similar upgrade for free). So 90% of the time I got exactly what I booked. Sounds to me like your TA  doesn't know what they're talking about, and you'll have to deal with them, not directly with Princess. Think of this as a learning experience; you'll be more knowledgeable and better prepared next time.

Edited by shepp

Princess offers obstructed view cabins as an alternate category when you click "Inside" that's how Badgeaz saw them. They are obviously outside cabins. Renmar/Theo has a website with views from many of those cabins! I booked one on the 28-day SoPac cruise based on price with help of the photos!

8 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

This is another reason your TA does not know much about cruising.  None of the mass market lines have the capacity to 'upgrade at checkin'  (I can't speak for the luxury lines, never having cruised one). Those checkin clerks work for the port, not the cruise line.  they may wear a Princess uniform one day, NCL the next.  They do not have the ability to see what cabins are empty not to take money for them.  And as had been stated, the sign on the desk at Guest Services will say the ship is full.  EM

You are definitely correct in saying that the people doing check-in do not work for the cruise line being sailed upon. You're also correct in that they have no ability to provide any stateroom upgrades or changes and the cruiser asking for such an action will be directed to the Passenger Services Desk on board the ship.  (This may vary somewhat at some ports or with some cruise lines, but not at most of them, at least in the US.) But neither do they work for the port, again, at least not at all the ports. At a number of the ports, again this is US only, they work for a third party company who contracts directly with the various cruise lines. As an aside, some lines do authorize check-in agents collect cash payments for some things (Carnival is one) but, again, this may vary from port to port.

Tom

By the way, the OP posted on a different thread.  Their TA offered them an upgrade from their inside cabin to a balcony for $250 a person for the 10 day cruise.

They immediately turned it down.

i am thinking the OP will need to enjoy their cruise from the lowest level inside cabin in the front of the ship.

12 hours ago, jagoffee said:

By the way, the OP posted on a different thread.  Their TA offered them an upgrade from their inside cabin to a balcony for $250 a person for the 10 day cruise.

They immediately turned it down.

After all that whingeing? Hmmmm.

Edited by shepp

57 minutes ago, voljeep said:
  • a free upgrade - is way different from - a paid for upsell

and why does this bother you so much???

The OP was not looking for a FREE upgrade because she/he posted this;  I'm thinking  of maybe spending the upgrade  fee for an oceanview. Cabin is r236. 

Theo

13 minutes ago, Renmar said:

The OP was not looking for a FREE upgrade because she/he posted this;  I'm thinking  of maybe spending the upgrade  fee for an oceanview. Cabin is r236. 

And now claims (on another thread) they wanted an inside all along. Sigh. Cruise Critic is mostly people helping people (especially you, with your invaluable website), but there are a number of, oh, time-wasters here, too. No, the upsell offer wasn't the greatest ever, but was "Pay for the cheapest OV, get a balcony instead." I reckon that most of us, had we had the funds, would have taken it. OK, enough of that. I have a HAL Amazon cruise to prepare for. I paid for an OV-to-balcony upsell on that one  from and that was a lot more than $250.

Edited by shepp