Using Nonrefundable OBC to Buy Experience More Packages?

GPS

This our situation for an upcoming 16 night cruise on Quest.  We are in a Club Continent Suite which includes 235min of internet per person, and we have 900 dollars of combined OBC to use.  We are not ones to use the ship's tours but found one for $220 each that we would spend some OBC on.  Daily internet would cost $319.20 per device at 19.95 per day,  and we could get $150 credit per device if we don't choose to keep the included 235 minutes each.  We really only care about having one device with unlimited internet.

I was looking at the Essentials package which gives us $300 shore excursion credit, unlimited wifi for 1 device and an upgraded drink package (which we don't really care about), all for $599.  I figure if I can use our OBC to buy this package, it's a no brainer as we'd be getting our money's worth just for the internet and shore excursion credit.  

Because I can't book the package until we board, I wanted to make sure that this would work using our OBC to pay for the package.  Otherwise, I'd probably use $150 suite discount toward the $319.20 unlimited internet and keep the other person at the free 235 minutes (unless someone knows if we can combine the two $150 for a $300 credit).  I guess we could spend the remaining $460 OBC on the chef's table package, but with free specialty dining, don't know if that's a good use of the OBC.

Any practical money-saving advice is welcome, as this is our first time in a suite on Azamara!

You can buy any of the Experience More packages before the cruise. I have just bought one for my July 2019 cruise.  Uktog has used OBC to buy a package and Bonnie (Azamara’s chief Blogging Officer) has said you can use OBC to buy it. Look on your Voyage Planner for the cruise and click on Onboard Experience. So long as your OBC shows up in your Voyage planner, you should be able to use it to buy it.

No you can’t combine both people’s  $150 suite discount for $300 against one WiFi package.

Clarification: The Experience More packages can be purchased prior to the voyage, but only through our Call Center...not via our Voyage Planner with your OBC.  The benefit of buying an Experience More package ahead of time is that you'll have access to the allocated Shorex OBC of $300-$700 per stateroom, which can then be used to pre-purchase your Shore Excursions. 

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/onboard-packages/experience-more-packages

11 hours ago, BBMacLaird said:

Clarification: The Experience More packages can be purchased prior to the voyage, but only through our Call Center...not via our Voyage Planner with your OBC.  The benefit of buying an Experience More package ahead of time is that you'll have access to the allocated Shorex OBC of $300-$700 per stateroom, which can then be used to pre-purchase your Shore Excursions. 

https://www.azamaraclubcruises.com/booked-guests/onboard-packages/experience-more-packages

Thanks for that clarification Bonnie. I thought you might be able to use OBC through the Voyage planner, so its helpful to know for definite that you can’t.

I agree with you that it’s a benefit to be able to use the Shore Excursion OBC ahead of time. We bought the Essentials package a couple of days ago ( bought it through our TA) then used it to buy a Flam railway tour on our July 2019 Norway cruise, ‘cos we expect that tour to fill up pretty quickly.

10 hours ago, desert traveler said:

So 1 question: when we booked our cruise for next year--we booked with an Experience More promotion.  When I look at the Voyage Planner-it lists $1500--so is this to only be used for the Experience More promotion? or can we use it as we chose as any OBC?

I would expect that some of it is for Shore Excursions only. How much will depend on which package it was - Essentials is $300 for Shore Excursions,  Enjoyment is $500 and Indulgence is $700.

On 10/24/2018 at 1:28 PM, desert traveler said:

So 1 question: when we booked our cruise for next year--we booked with an Experience More promotion.  When I look at the Voyage Planner-it lists $1500--so is this to only be used for the Experience More promotion? or can we use it as we chose as any OBC?

We might be talking about different things. Awhile back there was a Sales Promotion called Experience More. That incentive included OBC. 

We also have packages of onboard amenities that can be purchased that are called Experience More. These packages can be found on our website (the link is in my prior post #4). These packages can be purchased ahead of time through our Call Center, but not yet online. 

Sounds like Desert traveler has the former...the sales incentive called Experience More from awhile back.

You may use that OBC showing in your Voyage Planner for prepurchasing tours, or virtually anything, or you could if you wish, use it to buy an Experience More amenitities package. But I’d say with that much OBC there’s no need to buy a package. 

We’re booked on our first Azamara cruise and we’re learning the ropes. We’re in a Club Ocean Suite with 235 internet minutes for two devices. We would like to buy an Indulence Package with unlimited internet minutes (traveling with a college student!).  Based upon the posts above, I called the Call Center, asked to be credited the $300 for our internet minutes so that I could put that amount towards the $1399 purchase price of the Indulgence Package. The representative said that they do not provide any credit for the internet packages, even if you are buying an upgraded package. I’m afraid that I’ve misunderstood this thread. Any thoughts/suggestions? Thanks!

Yes the agent is correct.  - the credit can only be applied to an unlimited internet package - and if there are two people in the suite, you have to buy two packages to get the $300 credit - one package is $150....

Thanks, uktog!  With your explanation I now understand the “two Package” part. But the rep said that they didn’t apply ANY credits to the purchase of the Experience More Indulgence Package. Guess it’s not worth haggling over $150. 

Yes the rep is correct - we are talking about two different packages

The Unlimited internet package - which CAN have the credit applied to it, you buy this package onboard and apply the $150 credit to the cost

The Experience/Indulgence packages include an unlimited internet package as well as other benefits but you CANNOT apply credit to them.

You need to do the maths as to whether the Experience/Indulgence package gives you good value given that the "value" of the internet element is not as high to you as a suite user as others who do not have the $150 credit.  For example, it the cruise is a shorter cruise say 8 days, the Experience/Indulgence package may not be a good deal as you can get the unlimited internet for $10 (8x$20 is $160-$150).  So do you value the other elements (excursion credit, which drinks package - do you need it? and for the more expensive package the Chefs Table) enough to pay for the Experience/Indulgence package or not??

Hope this makes sense

uktog, I took your advice, did the math and decided that the Indulgence Package still was a good deal for us because we’re on the 15 day holiday cruise to Cuba and will want to enjoy a Chef’s Dinner and some time in the spa, as well as the upgraded drinks packages. I called the Call Center to purchase the package by using my OBC and paying the balance on my credit card. The rep told me you couldn’t use the OBC to purchase any type of package until you are aboard the ship. She confirmed her position with a supervisor. The rep was pleasant, spent over 30 minutes looking into the matter, but was adamant that we couldn’t purchase an Experience More package while shoreside using OBC.  Looks like we’ll be waiting until we board to purchase the Indulgence package and will then use the $700 credit to book our shore excursions while already on the ship.

On 10/24/2018 at 2:55 PM, BBMacLaird said:

But this contradicts what Bonnie said above.  This was part of my original question too.

I thought you said I could use my OBC to buy an experience more package by phone, before boarding.  Uktog said it has to be done on the ship.  And am I correct that we cannot use a suite or loyalty free internet minutes as credit against an Experience More package, only a simple Unlimited Internet package?

That is certainly how it has been the last year, the only “trade” you can do is against an unlimited internet package and these transactions cannot be done before boarding. Bonnie will confirm I am sure whether the policy has changed or not.  

17 hours ago, GPS said:

I thought you said I could use my OBC to buy an experience more package by phone, before boarding.  Uktog said it has to be done on the ship.  And am I correct that we cannot use a suite or loyalty free internet minutes as credit against an Experience More package, only a simple Unlimited Internet package?

I’m sorry for muddying the water. You can prepurchase an Experience More package via phone, but not with OBC. To do that you need to be onboard.

And no your suite or LCV minutes can not be used to discount an Experience MOre. 

• 1 year later...
On 11/1/2018 at 2:06 PM, BBMacLaird said:

I’m sorry for muddying the water. You can prepurchase an Experience More package via phone, but not with OBC. To do that you need to be onboard.

And no your suite or LCV minutes can not be used to discount an Experience MOre. 

Thanks for clarifying this.  Can I ask a followup?  

If I prebook a shore excursion on my credit card, and then purchase an Experience More package on board, is it possible to then cancel the shore excursion, receive a refund on the credit card, and immediately rebook the excursion using the OBC from the Experience More package?

On 1/17/2020 at 11:41 AM, Host Grandma Cruising said:

Yes, it is possible to cancel an excursion to get a credit card refund, then re-book using OBC.

Everything I see says that if I prebook an excursion BEFORE I sail and then cancel (anytime prior to 48 hours before that excursion), the refund will go into my OBC, not back to the credit card. Is that correct? Next question will be, 'is that part of my OBC refundable post cruise?' Thank you, gotcha3

1 hour ago, gotcha3 said:

Everything I see says that if I prebook an excursion BEFORE I sail and then cancel (anytime prior to 48 hours before that excursion), the refund will go into my OBC, not back to the credit card. Is that correct? Next question will be, 'is that part of my OBC refundable post cruise?' Thank you, gotcha3

It depends if the original credit you use was refundable and non refundable credit. That determines the answer whatever type of credit it originally was is how it is refunded.  So if it came from the cruise line it will be non refundable