last post to first read

9 hours ago, LHT28 said:

when you go to  the forum or thread you want to read  click on the blue dot or start next to the title

How about how do we get it to show newest posts on top by default the way the old boards used to work? For example, when I click on the link in the email I get when there is a post in response to one of mine (one of the few improvements in the new boards, from what I can see) and see the newest posts on the last page instead of the first?

The only blue dot is the huge one next to "Freedom of the Seas" under "royal Caribbean Roll Calls". I hover over it and it says "mark forum as read". I click on it and it disappears. I then go to the roll call I am associated with ( 3/2/19 Return of the King part 1, ALSO part 2 ) and there is no dot and the date still starts as "first post".

So, again....how do I get it to be "last post put first"??

Edited by Semi Retired
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Semi Retired said:

So, again....how do I get it to be "last post put first"??

I don't think you're really explaining that properly. Can I assume you mean "when I open the thread, I want to see the newest posts on top", i.e., reverse chronological order?

That's what I'm trying to figure out and have been unable to find the setting to change how it works, so I suspect it does not exist which is an unfortunate (and foolish) omission.

Edited by MisterBill99

Nope...there is no "sort by" on top right.

I'm at "royal Caribbean Meet & Mingle roll calls". It shows the word FORUM under that, on top left. I see all the threads for different sailing roll calls. I see NO "sort by" on top right.

Edited by Semi Retired

On 10/25/2018 at 3:13 AM, MisterBill99 said:

How about how do we get it to show newest posts on top by default the way the old boards used to work?

Do you mean the setting that when you opened a thread, the newest post would display at the top of the thread and then go on in reverse chronological order?

That was not the default on the old board, nor is it the default on any of the other boards that I use using that type of software. The default was oldest post at the top.

What you could do on the old CC board was to change that setting, but that option isn't here.

18 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

What you could do on the old CC board was to change that setting, but that option isn't here.

Exactly. And it's very rare for an online message board not to have that feature. And if you are "upgrading" your board software, it seems like you shouldn't be dropping features like that. 

1 minute ago, MisterBill99 said:

And if you are "upgrading" your board software, it seems like you shouldn't be dropping features like that. 

I doubt it was a case of "dropping". The new software presumably just doesn't have this built in.

Moving to different IBB software always comes with pros and cons. For balance, there are new features, some of which I am finding very useful.

42 minutes ago, Islandbuoy said:

I have no blue buttons--help!!

The blue dot (or star) appears immediately to the left of the thread title on a forum thread listing, and on an Activity Stream listing.

If you use Manage Followed Content, you will not see these. That is not a good route for actually following the content itself, and I would suggest not trying to use it for that purpose. Activity Streams are the better way of replicating what used to be on the User CP.

9 minutes ago, Islandbuoy said:

I must be asleep- this what i get:( no button)

Thanksgiving on the High Seas, November 16, 2018

By the_dylaness, April 10, 2017 in Celebrity Reflection Roll Calls 

By then, you've opened the thread, and there is no "go to first unread post" link in the thread display itself.

If you want to use the blue dot to go to the first unread post, you need to do that from a thread listing, either in the forum listing or in the Activity Stream listing.

PPL, I'll repeat how I found how to make last post first, Nothing to do with a blue dot.......(from this page you are on now)..Top Right, click on BOARDS (beside log out). I click on ROYAL CARIBBEAN 'MEET N MINGLE ROLL CALL. I click on my ship for roll call sailings "FREEDOM OF THE SEAS'. It then shows SORT BY on top right of this section. It's small lettering. (On left of this section is the page #'s and Next). When you change the order, then any sail date of that ship will be done so.

You are sorting threads (each roll call is its own thread) on a board ("Freedom of the Seas Roll Calls"). 

Others are asking to sort replies within each thread.  It's that functionality that does not currently exist.  In your example, they would be asking how to sort the responses in the "Freedom of the Seas 11/04/2018" thread from newest to oldest.

35 minutes ago, Semi Retired said:

PPL, I'll repeat how I found how to make last post first, Nothing to do with a blue dot.......(from this page you are on now)..Top Right, click on BOARDS (beside log out). I click on ROYAL CARIBBEAN 'MEET N MINGLE ROLL CALL. I click on my ship for roll call sailings "FREEDOM OF THE SEAS'. It then shows SORT BY on top right of this section. It's small lettering. (On left of this section is the page #'s and Next). When you change the order, then any sail date of that ship will be done so.

That sorts the thread LISTING, not the thread view itself.  What people are complaining about is they want the most recent post to show as post #1 on page #1.  Then the next oldest post as post #2 on page #1, etc, etc, etc.  

So if you were coming in new to a thread with 200 posts and wanted to read from the beginning, you'd have to go to page 5, scroll to the bottom, read, scroll up, read, scroll up, read, scroll up, etc.  And if you find a long post?  Then you scroll up to the top of that post, scroll down to read it all, then scroll up to read the next post.  Makes no sense to me. 

I belong to a few other non cruise forums and when I click on a thread it will take me too the last page I read during my last visit to that forum.     On this forum, if you are going to a thread that has several hundred posts, it is very frustrating to always start at post number one.       The old forum gave you the option when you opened a thread to select to go to last read.     Surely it is not that difficult for the forum developers to include that option.          I know for me personally , if it stays this way, my visits to the forum will be curtailed significantly.   Jmo

2 minutes ago, retird said:

On this forum, if you are going to a thread that has several hundred posts, it is very frustrating to always start at post number one.     

when you go to the forum  do you see a blue dot or star next to the thread title ???

When I go to a forum I have tried the blue button, but it takes me to the last post on the thread not to the last thread I read.      I have tried the sort feature but it still goes to the first post in the thread even if that post was 500 posts ago      In a nutshell, the forum , as it is now, is not very user friendly.    Getting to where you want to be on a thread is very time consuming

I was just using another forum that I frequent and when I clicked on a thread I have been reading, it gave me to select “latest activity”, it then goes to a new screen showing the original post followed by the posts since I last viewed the thread.   Easy Peasy and very efficient for thread and forum viewing