Anthem coming to UK 2020

cbowls30

So I'm reading Anthem is coming to cruise out of the UK in 2020, early bookings to be released mid November, so excited to be getting one of the quantum class in Europe, just wondering if anyone can guess in itinerary? We're hoping for Northern Europe, which would be ideal for Quantum class with all the inside activities and pool which won't be effected by weather I feel it's a bit cooler.....anybody any ideas where she might be sailing? 

17 minutes ago, Goofyfanatic said:

Better question is what ship will replace her in cape liberty???

Yes I just read this news on RCI blog site and am a little worried. The only guess I can make and i hope for is the new Quantum plus class or whatever they are calling the slightly bigger Quantum class. What do you think of that being the case?

10 hours ago, cbowls30 said:

So I'm reading Anthem is coming to cruise out of the UK in 2020, early bookings to be released mid November, so excited to be getting one of the quantum class in Europe, just wondering if anyone can guess in itinerary? We're hoping for Northern Europe, which would be ideal for Quantum class with all the inside activities and pool which won't be effected by weather I feel it's a bit cooler.....anybody any ideas where she might be sailing? 

Be careful what you wish for, we were on Celebrity Silhouette and we were denied entry into  St Petersburg on July 1/2 2018. 

Silhouette passengers, 2886 Anthem  4180.

We were told we were too big to turn in the narrow entry channel due to the wind conditions.

( Photo Credit Google)

F941A24E-4AEC-4D26-A068-64DD667D93FB.jpeg

Edited by upwarduk

14 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

Yes I just read this news on RCI blog site and am a little worried. The only guess I can make and i hope for is the new Quantum plus class or whatever they are calling the slightly bigger Quantum class. What do you think of that being the case?

Doesn't the Icon class come out in 2022? If that is right that is not the answer.

Just now, Goofyfanatic said:

Doesn't the Icon class come out in 2022? If that is right that is not the answer.

Oh man I would love that to come here to NJ. That is going to be quite a large ship though, 200,000 tons correct? I'm not sure that can dock in Bermuda which of course is a lot of what the cruises are from NJ. If anyone knows can the new Icon class dock in Bermuda? I love the idea though.

1 minute ago, JAMESCC said:

Oh man I would love that to come here to NJ. That is going to be quite a large ship though, 200,000 tons correct? I'm not sure that can dock in Bermuda which of course is a lot of what the cruises are from NJ. If anyone knows can the new Icon class dock in Bermuda? I love the idea though.

Yes and lets not forget getting under the Verzzanno. I know that Anthem already takes on water to get "fit" under.

58 minutes ago, Goofyfanatic said:

Yes and lets not forget getting under the Verzzanno. I know that Anthem already takes on water to get "fit" under.

I was told Oasis class ships can fit under the Verrazzano bridge and I believe did once? Someone sent me a picture once of an Oasis ship in the NY Harbor.

21 hours ago, luvscruising2007 said:

Next question, what ship will replace Anthem?

I think this is for Anthem's 5 year drydock, which means they may just switch Anthem and Independence for the one summer so that Anthem can drydock in Europe.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JAMESCC said:

I was told Oasis class ships can fit under the Verrazzano bridge and I believe did once? Someone sent me a picture once of an Oasis ship in the NY Harbor.

Oasis & Allure were built in Finland and went under the Belt bridge which is I believe 10 feet lower than the Verrazano, so as long as their stacks can still retract they can fit into New York Harbor. I am not sure if the container terminal across for Cape Liberty would be thrilled with their beam.

Neither ship has ever been to New York and I am pretty sure Bermuda did not dredge to fit Oasis Class ships, so as much as I would love to see an Oasis Class ship in my backyard, I doubt that will happen.

31 minutes ago, kkfw1994 said:

Oasis & Allure were built in Finland and went under the Belt bridge which is I believe 10 feet lower than the Verrazano, so as long as their stacks can still retract they can fit into New York Harbor. I am not sure if the container terminal across for Cape Liberty would be thrilled with their beam.

Neither ship has ever been to New York and I am pretty sure Bermuda did not dredge to fit Oasis Class ships, so as much as I would love to see an Oasis Class ship in my backyard, I doubt that will happen.

Belt Bridge has a clearance of 213' at mean high water, Verrazzano 228', Oasis has a listed height of 236'.

Looks like via NOAA that the max air gap gets up to around 231'-233' at low tide. So Royal would obviously have to do some engineering if they wanted to get an Oasis ship into Bayonne. I don't see it as that big of a longshot though. If you put an Oasis ship in Bayonne during the summer you are possibly tapping into the Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Baltimore/Washington markets. 

As much as I love the Anthem (and I am younger) I feel like there was sort of a disconnect between the ship and the market. A lot of cruisers from the New York area on 7-night cruises skew older than the ones I've been on out of Florida. I think these people find more of an issue with the technology Quantum class has to offer as opposed to the Oasis class where (save one for the size) it is still more like a 'traditional' cruise.

I don't see any reason why an Oasis class couldn't run on the PC, Nassau, CocoCay itinerary now that the pier will be finished there. Not the most ideal itinerary, but kind of like when I cruised on Anthem, the ship is becoming more of its own destination.

Edited by mattb31

3 minutes ago, mattb31 said:

Belt Bridge has a clearance of 213' at mean high water, Verrazzano 228', Oasis has a listed height of 236'.

Looks like via NOAA that the max air gap gets up to around 231'-233' at low tide. So Royal would obviously have to do some engineering if they wanted to get an Oasis ship into Bayonne. I don't see it as that big of a longshot though. If you put an Oasis ship in Bayonne during the summer you are possibly tapping into the Boston, New York, Philadelphia, and Baltimore/Washington markets. 

I don't see any reason why it couldn't run on the PC, Nassau, CocoCay itinerary now that the pier will be finished there. Not the most ideal itinerary, but kind of like when I cruised on Anthem, the ship is becoming more of its own destination.

I agree that Oasis or Allure could do a 7 night Florida Bahamas out of Bayonne provided the stack can still retract after adding the scrubbers (I heard Harmony & Symphony's stacks to do not retract)

Royal has a contract with Bermuda for the number of passengers delivered and I would assume that was re-written when they dredged to fit Anthem to match Anthem's numbers. I believe they need a Freedom Class ship doing the 5/9 split that Anthem does now and possibly a Voyager Class visiting every other Sunday to make up the numbers.

If they can reduce 2020's numbers to what a Freedom Class can carry then they could replace Adventure of the Seas with an Oasis Class doing the Bahamas run. 

1 hour ago, mattb31 said:

As much as I love the Anthem (and I am younger) I feel like there was sort of a disconnect between the ship and the market. A lot of cruisers from the New York area on 7-night cruises skew older than the ones I've been on out of Florida. I think these people find more of an issue with the technology Quantum class has to offer as opposed to the Oasis class where (save one for the size) it is still more like a 'traditional' cruise.

I don't see any reason why an Oasis class couldn't run on the PC, Nassau, CocoCay itinerary now that the pier will be finished there. Not the most ideal itinerary, but kind of like when I cruised on Anthem, the ship is becoming more of its own destination.

I don't disagree with most of your assessment of Anthem and the NY market except one thing and that it was built for the cool or cold weather of the North East. The indoor pool is absolute genius. My son and wife really loved that pool on cooler days.