Royal Caribbean Nonrefundable Deposit

The last cruise I booked was before nonrefundable deposits so I'm trying to understand it all.  I'm interested in booking a 4 night cruise for 3 people and the deposit is $300.  If I want to make it a refundable deposit, it will cost me $296.18 and I will lose $25 OBC.  If I do nonrefundable, I save $321 but if I cancel, I lose the entire $300.  To me, it's almost a wash that I am leaning towards the nonrefundable fare and take my chances.  Am I missing something and should do the refundable deposit?  I plan on getting travel insurance.

Edited by drewdrewcruiser

Nonrefundable fares are often lower as an incentive to have you accept the restrictions that go with them.  For example, you book tomorrow then 2 weeks later you realize you can't go for some reason.  You lose your nonrefundable deposit.  Or maybe you decide you would rather sail on a different ship or different date - you lose $100 per person to make the change.  If you think the chance of that happening is very low and you book nonrefundable, then you accept the risk and if something does happen, you lose.  

If nothing happens and you go on the cruise as booked, you've saved some money.  You only save money if nothing happens that causes you to cancel or change the cruise.  

When you book refundable fares, you can cancel, change dates, change ships, whatever, without losing your deposit.  

After final payment due date it doesn't matter if you booked refundable or nonrefundable, there will be penalties to cancel or change.  Sometimes if this cruise is a year or more away, refundable deposits can be attractive because stuff happens in life.  Weddings are announced, family members have a baby, etc.  

If this cruise is close to final payment due date then the nonrefundable deposit can be a way to save some money.  

Insurance is always worth considering but make sure you understand what the travel insurance covers.  Not all polices are the same.  The insurance purchased through the cruise line tends to favor the cruise line.  Insurance you buy directly is typically available with different coverage options.  CFAR or Cancel For Any Reason coverage sounds great but may cost too much to make it worth while.  Sometimes insurance may cover something like you become sick and can't travel but it may not cover something like you get invited to a wedding or get a new job and can't go on the cruise.  

Edited by twangster
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, nelblu said:

Your logic is a bit fuzzy.  Yes, you save with a no-refundable, but at the end of the day, if you cancel or make changes you're absolutely out $300.

If you like gambling take the non-refundable option.

For a short cruise, you are right.

But for a longer cruise, you might save say $1000.  So you are risking $300 to save $1000.  So even if you change your sailing 3 times, you are still ahead $100.

14 minutes ago, SRF said:

For a short cruise, you are right.

But for a longer cruise, you might save say $1000.  So you are risking $300 to save $1000.  So even if you change your sailing 3 times, you are still ahead $100.

I agree, as I do the same analysis.  Changed my upcoming Symphony booking from a refundable to a non to save a some nice $ and also got the promo from RCL in $150 obcs.

Does anyone have any experience with possible pitfalls of booking with a refundable deposit, cancelling prior to final payment, and rebooking with a non-fundable deposit once a passenger's plans become more solid? In addition of course to having to accept new pricing and different promotions. e.g. does the savings afforded by the non-refundable deposit tend to diminish as the final payment date gets closer?

23 minutes ago, SoCA6ft5 said:

Does anyone have any experience with possible pitfalls of booking with a refundable deposit, cancelling prior to final payment, and rebooking with a non-fundable deposit once a passenger's plans become more solid? In addition of course to having to accept new pricing and different promotions. e.g. does the savings afforded by the non-refundable deposit tend to diminish as the final payment date gets closer?

No need to cancel, it can be converted to NRDB and any cruise planner or dinner reservations will be retained.  Same booking is retained as well.  

The problem is, pricing tends to increase as dates get closer.   Pricing could drop prior to final payment due date but all too often that doesn't happen and your refundable rate may be lower than current NRDB rate.

• Like 2

If the price is OK, I'll book with a refundable first.  That way I know I have the flexibility to cancel or change to a NR later on if a better price, plus obc, shows up.  I've done this with 5 cruises so far, and only one is sitting there with no obc and a refundable deposit.  I have until next May to keep looking to change that one.  

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I realize I am writing this a year after  this thread, but couldn't easily find the topic when doing a search. My question is that I want to change my refundable deposit to a non refundable reservation. My question is, Do I do this before or after final payment? My final payment is due in the next couple of weeks.

Thank you.

15 minutes ago, parrotplay said:

I realize I am writing this a year after  this thread, but couldn't easily find the topic when doing a search. My question is that I want to change my refundable deposit to a non refundable reservation. My question is, Do I do this before or after final payment? My final payment is due in the next couple of weeks.

Thank you.

You must do it before final payment due date. 

After final payment due date there is no difference between NRD and refundable bookings as all bookings are subject to the same cancelation fee schedule.  

24 minutes ago, parrotplay said:

Thank you.

Only switch to a non-refundable deposit if the price is lower, or you can obtain perks (obc, internet, specialty dinner) at the same, or close to the same, price.  When you switch to a non-refundable they reprice your cruise at the going rate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pcur said:

Only switch to a non-refundable deposit if the price is lower, or you can obtain perks (obc, internet, specialty dinner) at the same, or close to the same, price.  When you switch to a non-refundable they reprice your cruise at the going rate.

Thanks so much, this really helps.

41 minutes ago, twangster said:

You must do it before final payment due date. 

After final payment due date there is no difference between NRD and refundable bookings as all bookings are subject to the same cancelation fee schedule.  

Thank you for your quick response.

I have a question about non-refundable deposits.  I know that deposits for suites are non-refundable.  Does this include Junior Suites?  We recently booked a Junior Suite and during the booking process it said it was a refundable deposit.  Just making sure there won’t be a surprise if I cancel!

Edited by eel