Upgrade fairy emailed...we declined (Breeze cove to deck 11 balcony)

ProgRockCruiser

We have a 7-day cruise to Bermuda booked on the Breeze.  We specifically chose a Cove balcony (and a very specific one at that) because of the great reviews, and because it was different from our other cabins we have booked - close to the water, really far forward instead of aft, etc.

We both got an email offering an upgrade to a (normal) balcony cabin on deck 11, "mid-ship" for a relatively low cost (probably not much less than if we had chosen that upgrade when originally booking, though, upgrade cost was $56 for the cabin, so $4 pp per day).  If we hadn't been so intent on the cove, it might have been tempting, but we both went "nope!"

Still, looking at those cabins on deck 11, they look like a good choice - cabins below and above, nothing else noisy on that deck.  So maybe next time...

If you had a choice, which cabin would you have taken?

I would have done exactly what you did.  We have booked all kinds of cabins, except a suite, to experience the differences.

So far there are pros and cons for each, but none I regret.

I was so glad we tried the cove balcony on the Breeze and I hope to have another one on a Dream class ship.  I preferred the cove to the aft-extended balcony, though both were great.

I think trying different options not only makes each cruise different, but might help me determine if for my preferences there really is a sweet spot.

I hope you enjoy the cove.

I was offered an upgrade from Cove to Deck 11 balcony for my upcoming cruise.  I took the upgrade.  We normally cruise in 4J's, so just having a balcony is an upgrade for us. 

Eventually I will stick to a Cove and see how we like it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Based on the location mid-ship this likely doesn’t apply, but if the upsell offer was for a Cloud 9 Spa room, I would take it in a second. 

Well yes.  That's a horse of a different color.

I booked spa interiors on my last cruise on the Breeze specifically for my cabin mates.  Turns out I enjoyed the spa as much as they did.

We are booked in our first cove balcony this coming February on the dream.   We usually book balcony's  (we try and get the "L" balcony's)   I too think if we are offered an upsell we will pass.  I really want to check out the cove , 

Thanks for the healthy discussion, everyone!  

I am quite sure we will have an opportunity to book again into something like a deck 11 balcony, maybe if we take a Western or Southern Caribbean itinerary.  So it's not like I'm locked into that Cove room forever.  Hmm, actually, to have to always be cruising, with that room, might not be a horrible fate at all...

Speaking of which, one of my co-workers has expressed significant interest in figuring out whether she can afford to "retire" to a cruise ship - give up all land-based assets, and just turn into that guy based out of Miami, "SuperMario" (without the income, I guess).  I couldn't do that - I need my space at home.  But I can see the appeal.

Also, not sure her husband is ready to buy into it either.

Seeing that you have your heart set on this particular cove balcony, I'm sure you've made the right choice!

I have never tried a cove, but we do love the Dream class ships for the Cloud 9 spa. DH would be happy if we only cruised that class. We were in a deck 11 balcony on the Dream in August. Great location and very quiet. So, if in the future you get the opportunity to upgrade to a spa room, I'd give it a try.

Happy Cruising!