Currency and how to manage.....

ParamedicSailor

Hello there....

I'll be going on my first cruise on 29th December 2018 on a Southeast Asia Grand Adventure with Princess Cruises, we will be disembarking at the following ports.

Singapore 

Bali

Kuala Lumpur

Penang

Phuket

Langkawi

Kota Kimbalu

Nha Trang

Ho Chi Minh

Bangkok

Ko Samui

What i need advice on is should i take local currency and if so how much to take as who knows what ill want to buy, im really stressing about it and dont want to be, some people have said to just take USD as they are so strong, but others have said local is best, i know i can get this onboard but i expect the exchange rate to be poor so whant to get this from the UK before i leave... 

Please advise season cruisers... 

It has been so long since I have been to Asia, but I can't remember converting currency.  I do remember using credit cards, though.  So, for moderate to expensive stuff, use a card.  If you need local currency, use a debit card at an ATM.  EM

Much of the answer will depend on the actual cruiser and their habits.  If you are the kind of cruiser that favors cruise line excursions, you will not normally need to worry about local currency.  On the other hand, if you are a very independent traveler (like me) that tends to do things on your own, using local transportation or private tours, it can be a different story.  In Vietnam we would generally rely on US Dollars and/or credit cards.   In Thailand we would generally get some baht (by using ATMs) although dollars are often accepted.   It has been a few years since we last visited Malaysia, but unless things have changed, there was no problem using US Dollars.  But keep in mind that you will generally not get change in dollars so its always wise to have an assortment of currency sizes....and have dollars that are in good shape (clean with no tears).  The best way to get local currency is to either exchange locally...or better yet use ATMs.  We carry several different ATM cards that have no associated fees.  And having a credit card that charges zero foreign exchange fees is also a plus.

Hank

For SE Asia we will purchase a quantity of US dollars and a small amount (about UKP 20) of local currency for each port, from our local bank before departure. We get excellent rates without commission. For most purchases/tours, we use Visa to get the points and also a slightly better exchange rate for non-cash transactions. We use cash for tips & where Visa isn't accepted.

Prior to our cruise last September, we were in UK for 5 months before the cruise, so purchased some foreign currency in UK. Was very surprised that the rate from the local RBS, was significantly less than we get at home. Shopped around in St Andrews and found the local travel agent gave us the best exchange rate.

For the places I have been on your list, I have used US$ except in Singapore.  I usually get my local currency at an ATM when I arrive in the country because you almost always get the best exchange rate.  For any currencies you do get in advance, you are better off getting them at home because the ship exchange rate is terrible and they sometimes run out.

The challenge with answers is that people practice what works best for them.  If you live in US  and US$ is reasonably accepted, then it is easy to use what you have, but if you have to exchange funds to get whatever is common, then it gets harder to advise.  One's travel style or ethics can also dictate whether to buy a stack of US and use it for everywhere, or consider the recipient and use local currency.  If you are going to buy stuff in the back markets, then local would be more considerate. If only doing ship or high tourist activities, US should pass for most locations.

For Canadians, ATM usage gives reasonable exchange so I would take small amounts out locally.  If anything left over, I might do as suggested - buy something near the ship in cash, and then add the rest to a credit card - or find a worthy recipient of whatever local change is left.  I am more predisposed to donate it than drink it.

However, the UK banking/finance system seems different than either US or Canada given the use of debit cards and otherwise.  So take the advice you are comfortable with, or that comes from others in your locale.

You can only do the best you can, so don't stress yourself out over it.  Sometimes we never get the best answer, but after your first cruise, you will know better what works for you.