I really never thought I'd be in this position.

stargate fan

Hey again, everyone.

I'm back.

I posted back in August that I might be cruising Dream on November 4 while wearing a VacoPed boot.  Surgeon told us to NOT cancel our cruise.  We purchased travel insurance. 

Here's the original post:

Well, life has thrown us a curve ball. 

I was diagnosed with an infection in my Achilles.  The infection was much worst than expected, requiring surgery AGAIN (#4) and a picc line and iv antibiotics for two to four weeks.

We cancelled the cruise and started the insurance claim.  Making that phone call was difficult.  I hope the claim process is easy.

Please know how much I appreciate all the support and advice given back in August and beyond.

I know exactly what you are going thru. Had a spur in my Achilles during surgery they found throat cancer, well it is now 14 months later cancer is gone and just had my 5th heel surgery I have a cadaver bone and tendon. Been in the boot 14 months now but will be sailing on Breeze in May wish u luck with your recovery.

3 hours ago, sailor113 said:

I know exactly what you are going thru. Had a spur in my Achilles during surgery they found throat cancer, well it is now 14 months later cancer is gone and just had my 5th heel surgery I have a cadaver bone and tendon. Been in the boot 14 months now but will be sailing on Breeze in May wish u luck with your recovery.

Nice to see you kicked cancers ass!  But how in the world did they find throat cancer during a heal surgery?

They found it when they intubated me hit it. Starting the cancer treatment became infected, lost the tendon had a bone infection the pic line caused a blood infection 3 months later of anti biotic infusions was able to finally start cancer treatments. 

On 10/28/2018 at 10:14 AM, stargate fan said:

Hey again, everyone.

I'm back.

I posted back in August that I might be cruising Dream on November 4 while wearing a VacoPed boot.  Surgeon told us to NOT cancel our cruise.  We purchased travel insurance. 

Here's the original post:

Well, life has thrown us a curve ball. 

I was diagnosed with an infection in my Achilles.  The infection was much worst than expected, requiring surgery AGAIN (#4) and a picc line and iv antibiotics for two to four weeks.

We cancelled the cruise and started the insurance claim.  Making that phone call was difficult.  I hope the claim process is easy.

Please know how much I appreciate all the support and advice given back in August and beyond.

I did see your other post in August but didn't comment since I really had nothing to contribute.  But after seeing his post and "picc line & iv antibiotics", I can relate.  My husband had a stubborn case if diverticulitis (has had it in the past, most recent was this past May), but the go to antibiotics used to treat it were no longer doing the trick.  So from the first week of August and until his surgery in mid-September, he had a picc line and the daily antibiotics, which I administered to him.  I was very uncomfortable (scared I'd do something wrong) at first, but it became part of our daily routine.  He's pretty much recovered from surgery, no more need for the antibiotics and back at work now.  Fortunately we did not have a cruise booked but now have to miss out on one that I was really looking forward to...a 12 day Journey cruise on Glory with what I consider my "dream" itinerary (eastern/southern Caribbean) in Feb. 2019.  We were going to start booking shortly before he got sick, but once we found out how bad it was/how much PTO he'd need from work, we realized the cruise was out of the question. 

So sorry you had to cancel your cruise and hope you can book another soon...one to celebrate you recovering from all of this.  I also hope the claim process is easy.  Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

On 10/28/2018 at 11:20 AM, sailor113 said:

Oh, my goodness!  The Achilles surgery was a blessing in disguise as the throat cancer was discovered.  

I'm glad to read that the cancer is gone.  How is the leg?  

We have another cruise booked in February.  I really hope we can go on that one.

I would love more info on the cadaver tendon and your surgeon, please.  

My surgeon, my husband and I are gathering as much info as possible for what happens next.  (One article I read mentioned using a hamstring to replace the Achilles.)  Perhaps our surgeons can confer.  Would you mind contacting me at cruisingfamily@gmail.com?

Thank you for posting.  You give me hope!

I am so sorry about your cruise. We had to cancel our cruise this year because my husband was diagnosed with cervical spinal stenosis.  He was diagnosed and had surgery in a 2 week time period. His surgery was done during the week we would have been on our cruise. We did buy insurance, but we seem to be having trouble collecting. It has been 8 weeks since the claim started. Don’ t know if they will reimburse us. 

18 hours ago, pghsteelerfan said:

I did see your other post in August but didn't comment since I really had nothing to contribute.  But after seeing his post and "picc line & iv antibiotics", I can relate.  My husband had a stubborn case if diverticulitis (has had it in the past, most recent was this past May), but the go to antibiotics used to treat it were no longer doing the trick.  So from the first week of August and until his surgery in mid-September, he had a picc line and the daily antibiotics, which I administered to him.  I was very uncomfortable (scared I'd do something wrong) at first, but it became part of our daily routine.  He's pretty much recovered from surgery, no more need for the antibiotics and back at work now.  Fortunately we did not have a cruise booked but now have to miss out on one that I was really looking forward to...a 12 day Journey cruise on Glory with what I consider my "dream" itinerary (eastern/southern Caribbean) in Feb. 2019.  We were going to start booking shortly before he got sick, but once we found out how bad it was/how much PTO he'd need from work, we realized the cruise was out of the question. 

So sorry you had to cancel your cruise and hope you can book another soon...one to celebrate you recovering from all of this.  I also hope the claim process is easy.  Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery.

Thank you for sharing your story.

We freaked out about the picc line at first, but it is actually very easy.  The picc doesn't bother me other than an occasional itch under the dressing.  What's weird is that I get a metallic taste in my mouth when I push the saline flush before and after the antibiotics.

I hope you do find another "dream" cruise, especially with talk of more ships being repostitioned in the next year.