Oceania vs. Crystal

SandJCruiser

If you like a silent CD -- Crystal is definitely the place to be.  The only one to use the PA was the Captain for the muster and the noon announcement.  Captain is a comedian heart, with a very light noon day announcement.

As far as food, one does have to put up with a formal night or two, but Crystal does step up their game (if you can imagine) in the MDR with a super meal.   Last night --  fresh Blue Point oysters and fresh cold water lobster on a bed of risotto.  Had also Caviar on the menu, but the oysters were so appealing and good -- I was considering another portion for desert.  Had to settle for a super chocolate cake.  The meal for both myself and DW was one of the best we have had at sea.

image.thumb.png.25d1c711c208bfc3278a796d40f4cc41.pngimage.thumb.png.2d2f779c26c782898fc01858de6e187a.png

2 hours ago, PaulMCO said:

If you like a silent CD -- Crystal is definitely the place to be.  The only one to use the PA was the Captain for the muster and the noon announcement.  Captain is a comedian heart, with a very light noon day announcement.

As far as food, one does have to put up with a formal night or two, but Crystal does step up their game (if you can imagine) in the MDR with a super meal.   Last night --  fresh Blue Point oysters and fresh cold water lobster on a bed of risotto.  Had also Caviar on the menu, but the oysters were so appealing and good -- I was considering another portion for desert.  Had to settle for a super chocolate cake.  The meal for both myself and DW was one of the best we have had at sea.

image.thumb.png.25d1c711c208bfc3278a796d40f4cc41.pngimage.thumb.png.2d2f779c26c782898fc01858de6e187a.png

Here is my experience with lobster on our 24 day Crystal cruise as noted in my review:

Worst thing about dining (for me) – absence of lobsters and foie grass. Lobster tails were available twice in 24 days – once on formal night (black tie optional) and once at a special brunch. As Oceania fans know, lobster is available daily in the Terrace and all 4 restaurants have full lobster dishes on the menu( steamed at Polo, Fra Diavolo at Toscana, Pad Thai in Red Ginger and Thermidore at Jacques). Crystal’s 2 specialties had appetizers with tiny taste of lobster. While Jacques no longer offers sautéed foie gras it still has an outstanding pate of foie grass – there was no such item on Crystal. While many may not miss these items, I did miss them a lot as I love both lobsters and foie grass.

Just finished a 14 day cruise on Marina and had LOTS of lobster everywhere and every way and lots of foie gras on our 4 visits to Jacques (where sautéed foie gras is back to my delight; then there is a nice piece of foie gras on top of a fillet that my DW passsed to me each time she ordered that dish).

For me, whatever advantages Crystal may have over Oceania (entertainment, enrichment come to mind) food is not one of the advantages that I see.

As always, YMMV 🙂

Edited by Paulchili

Lobster Difference is frozen versus fresh.  I have never seen a fresh lobster on O.  That lobster we had yesterday was fresh and not frozen and just removed from the shell and hot.  The Oysters again freshly shucked.

So far the on current cruise the enrichment lectures by six different people have all been quite good.

We had taps played at 11h yesterday 11 -11 to honor the fallen veterans.   Very touching tribute to those who have served.

I hope that Oceania will do the interactive TV changes, as part of NEXT, as well as Crystal has done this on their refurbished ships.  Lots of movie selections, NFL games last night, menus, excursions are all viewable via wi-fi.

I agree that food is very subjective.  Your comparison of Marina is a good one as the R ships have very limited choices.

So far the only negative on Crystal is the Brazil Churra restaurant.  Not our tastes.

YMMV 🙂

Edited by PaulMCO

8 hours ago, Paulchili said:

Obviously, fresh lobsters are available in some locations only. Most of the time cruise ships serve either frozen ones (like Oceania) or none (like many other lines).

I'll take frozen over none (unless fresh are available :))

Lobster is nothing more than a butter delivery system with a gourmet twist.   .

The same goes for escargot.

I love them both myself but eating either "dry" would be out of the question 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, JimandStan said:

Lobster is nothing more than a butter delivery system with a gourmet twist.   .

The same goes for escargot.

I love them both myself but eating either "dry" would be out of the question 

I guess the same could be said for bread.

• 2 months later...
13 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Thank you for those that offered a comparison.  We're looking at an itinerary next Spring that both Oceania and Crystal do. Both 12 nights and the price is approx. the same (within $200) 

Hi Cruise Junky fellow Vancouverite!

We've done a dozen Crystal cruises and are currently on our first Oceania (Regatta). Feel free to send me an email at claudiaferris@shaw.ca and I'll be happy to give you some info and direct comparisons.

12 minutes ago, claudiaYVR said:

Hi Cruise Junky fellow Vancouverite!

We've done a dozen Crystal cruises and are currently on our first Oceania (Regatta). Feel free to send me an email at claudiaferris@shaw.ca and I'll be happy to give you some info and direct comparisons.

Thank you!  enjoy your cruise.

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

Thank you for those that offered a comparison.  We're looking at an itinerary next Spring that both Oceania and Crystal do. Both 12 nights and the price is approx. the same (within $200) 

I did a fairly lengthy comparison from MY point of view here (post #28):

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2508997-oceania-vs-crystal/?page=2   

To put it the simplest of forms - if your priority is good food, friendly and more casual atmosphere then do Oceania. If you prefer great enrichments do Crystal.

Edited by Paulchili

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

I did a fairly lengthy comparison from MY point of view here (post #28):

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2508997-oceania-vs-crystal/?page=2   

To put it the simplest of forms - if your priority is good food, friendly and more casual atmosphere then do Oceania. If you prefer great enrichments do Crystal.

Thank you. I think we may be leaning towards the itinerary on O. Will read your comparison.