Bruges to Brussels

Kimhikes

Port at Zeebrugge to Bruges is about 8 miles.

Timescale depends on your transportation

- by taxi (pre-booked advised) it's about 15 mins & you're dropped right in the cobbled centre, usually the Grotemarkt. Arrange with the driver a time to be collected at the end of the day.. Costs a hefty €50 each-way but some carry up to 8 passengers.

For all the following, buses will drop you at the Bargeplein & trains at the station. Both are a level 15 minute walk from the centre........

- by independent shuttlebus it's about the same journey time but add waiting time. Much cheaper but I don't know any detail.

- by ship's "Bruges on your own" excursion. These usually involve a fixed pick-up time for the return - hence an "excursion" rather than a "shuttle".

- by train it's only 10 minutes from Blankenberge station to Bruges station. But first you've got to get to Blankenberge station - by ship's (pay) shuttle or by the local kusttram. And since you can't plan your time of arrival at Blankenberge, you might have a waiting time of anywhere between two minutes :classic_smile: and 59 minutes :classic_sad: because the train only runs hourly.

It's the same train for Brussels.

Brussels is fine if you want to wander amongst office buildings, or take a taxi to the city's few tourist sights.

But you'd do waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better to visit Bruges.

Or (on the kusttram) Oostende and the Atlantic Wall (used in WW1 and WW2, and a must-see for war-buffs).

JB :classic_smile:

Thank you so much for your response. I appreciate it. It's looking more and more like going to Bruges is better although I'm going all the way out there and not seeing Brussels seems like a shame but Bruges seems like less of a hassle. 😊

Hi lois1112, 

Bruges is a place that you can probably walk around on your own as it is a loverly little town. 

For us, we took our cruise line shore excursion which provides the transport shuttle to the town as it is a bit of hassle to take a train from port to Bruges. 

You might want to check our Review

40 minutes ago, Thejuggler said:

I'd recommend WW1 battlefields and Ypres with a few hours in Brugges to finish off.  There's only so many chocolate shops you can look at!

If you are going to Ypres the In Flanders Fields Museum was very good.

However, Ypres and Bruges aren't close to each other. The train and bus take at least 1 1/2 hours, and the bus is not that frequent so the logistics might be difficult. 

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

If you are going to Ypres the In Flanders Fields Museum was very good.

However, Ypres and Bruges aren't close to each other. The train and bus take at least 1 1/2 hours, and the bus is not that frequent so the logistics might be difficult. 

Not just the Flanders Fields but many other sights, museums, cemeteries (sadly so very very many cemeteries), trenches, memorials etc in and around Ypres.

But I don't rate travel by public transport from a port-of-call visit to Zeebrugge as difficult - I rate it damned-near impossible in the timescale.:classic_sad:

A scheduled tour by local operators doesn't fit a cruiser's timescale either, it needs a rental car (and good research) or a private tour or a ship's tour (offered by some cruise lines) 

I'd recommend cruisers who live in or frequently travel to Europe to put Ypres on the back-burner for a very interesting future 3 - 4 day trip.

Altho a port-of-call day-trip will be pretty inadequate, Brits &Canadians & Aussies will get something out of it. But there was no US involvement at this end of the Western Front.

JB :classic_smile:

• 1 month later...
On 10/30/2018 at 4:56 PM, Kimhikes said:

We have one day at the port. I know it is some distance to get from the port to Bruges. Has anyone gone straight to Brussels and found that it was worth it in the time allowed?

I have spent 8-10 days in Brussels on businesses trips (a few years ago). It is a city. I’ve had a day and a half in Bruges. It is an experience. I am very much looking forward to another day there on our cruise next September. (I found your post while searching for info on the best way from the port to Bruges center.) And I totally agree with the others who advise staying in Bruges, skipping Brussels.

• 4 weeks later...