Port time to Vancouver Airport?

phillychick

1 hour ago, CruiserBruce said:

This is discussed on the West Coast Departures board almost daily.  You should not book a flight before noon.

And also this may be different based on if OP is flying straight in to the US (thus needing to factor in time to clear US Customs and Immigration at YVR) or domestically to Canada first, before connecting in to the US (thus not needing to go through US Customs and Immigration at YVR, but instead at some other airport requiring a longer connection time).

phillychick,

If you mean your question to be taken literally, it takes about 30 minutes for the actual taxi ride, from when you get into the taxi at the port until you get out of the taxi at the airport.

If you want to know how long it will take to get from the ship to the gate that is a different storey - check out the the "Ports of Call, Canada (Alaska/Pacific Coastal) board" and search there, or search, on the same board, for "Martincath's posts", for more detailed information. It will largely depend on the date/time of year, how many ships are in port that day and when they dock, when your plane departs and whether you have Global Entry or NEXUS - than you should allow 2 to 3 hours for direct flights to the US..

NAGooner

12 hours ago, phillychick said:

Does anyone have any idea how long it takes to get from the cruise port to Vancouver airport on a Friday?

Thanks.

The cruise terminal is in the downtown core of the city.

If it is outside the afternoon/evening rush I would budget 30 minutes.  Longer if it is late afternoon as everyone is heading out of the downtown core.

You have several options, the two best are usually taxi or skytrain (the subway system).   There is a taxi rack in the cruise terminal.  If the line is long head upstairs to street level and there are several hotels within a block of the terminal.  One is even in the same building.  Each of these will also have a taxi stand.

When you get to the airport if you are flying domestically or international it is typical security and check-in.  If you traveling to the US with a departure before 8:00pm you will also go through US customs/immigration in Vancouver before boarding your flight.  This may take extra time.  I would budget an extra 10-30 minutes if that applies to you.  

As mentioned the drive takes around 30 minutes.

With that said:

The challenge is getting the transportation in the first place.  If there is more than one ship in port you may wait awhile for a taxi since they limit the number of vehicles that can enter the garage where you are picked up.  Other alternative include the train to the airport or booking a private vehicle.

If you are a USA citizen  flying to the USA at the airport the process typically works like this.

You check in with your airline.  You take your checked bags over to an area where you place them on a conveyor.

You proceed to security.  

If you have Nexus, Global Entry you often (not always but often) get on a shorter security line but I have experienced it both ways.

You go to a kiosk for immigration and then after printing receipts see a USA official.

You then proceed to the gate.

Lots of variables on this from getting transport over to the airport and at the airport.

CruiserBruce has it right.  I would not book a flight before noon.  i tend to not to worry so I look for a 1:00 PM flight which unless something goes terribly wrong has me waiting at the airport for my flight while not being stressed at all .

Keith