Points for cancelled cruise with no refund

Hello,

Recently I had to cancel a cruise 4 days before it began due to emergency surgery. It was of course past the point of any refund. I did fortunately have insurance so no loss on my part. Seeing as Royal kept the cruise fare, do I still get credit for the sailing on my C&A membership?

Just curious. I realize I didn't actually cruise, but they did still keep the money, so???

Thanks for any replies in advance.

6 minutes ago, watermusic101 said:

Hello,

Recently I had to cancel a cruise 4 days before it began due to emergency surgery. It was of course past the point of any refund. I did fortunately have insurance so no loss on my part. Seeing as Royal kept the cruise fare, do I still get credit for the sailing on my C&A membership?

Just curious. I realize I didn't actually cruise, but they did still keep the money, so???

No points if you don't sail even if they have your money.  Having insurance doesn't matter.  Just like you don't get FF miles if you miss/cancel a flight after it's been paid for.

16 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

Comparisons to insurance and flights don't matter.

The answer is "no".  No sail, no points.  🙂

Was just pointing out cruise lines are no different from airlines, or hotel loyalty programs for that matter when it comes to earning points.  Why do you have to get so nasty.

This is consistent with the way NCL and CCL handle it too, if you don't sail you don't get the points (and the person that buys the cruise doesn't get the points, the person that sails does so if you bought a cruise for a family member they would get the points).

3 hours ago, voyager70 said:

Was just pointing out cruise lines are no different from airlines, or hotel loyalty programs for that matter when it comes to earning points.  Why do you have to get so nasty.

I am scratching  my head over how you read my post as "nasty".  I was just cutting through and summarizing for the purpose to answering the OP.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, watermusic101 said:

Hello,

If you had insurance, then why did RCI keep your cruise fare?  Once you were refunded port taxes and fees from RCI, you would then subtract that amount from your total cost and submit that amount to your insurance company along with all the necessary paperwork from your doctor.

4 minutes ago, cruisenfever said:

If you had insurance, then why did RCI keep your cruise fare?  Once you were refunded port taxes and fees from RCI, you would then subtract that amount from your total cost and submit that amount to your insurance company along with all the necessary paperwork from your doctor.

RC doesn’t give the money you paid them to the insurance company to give back to you. That’s not how it works. RC keeps your money if you don’t sail and aren’t eligible for a refund. If you bought insurance, then your insurance company pays out of money they have their own way of handling. 

Edited by lbjen

11 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

I am scratching  my head over how you read my post as "nasty".  I was just cutting through and summarizing for the purpose to answering the OP.

I guess nowadays it's considered nasty and rude if one is short and to the point in one's response, especially if it doesn't support the other person's point of view. Sometimes I think I'll become a hermit.

Edited by sparks1093

11 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

Just guessing ..... but I think they felt if you were simply answering the OP's question,  a simple "no points will be given" would be enough and the comment regarding their post being irrelevant wasn't necessary.  

15 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I guess nowadays it's considered nasty and rude if one is short and to the point in one's response, especially if it doesn't support the other person's point of view. Sometimes I think I'll become a hermit.

I am prone to make short replies and have had them accused of being nasty. Seems to come with the territory of making short text replies.

2 minutes ago, VaTech8912 said:

Just guessing ..... but I think they felt if you were simply answering the OP's question,  a simple "no points will be given" would be enough and the comment regarding their post being irrelevant wasn't necessary.  

There was nothing wrong with her reply. It was fine. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Merion_Mom said:

You were short, curt and dissed his perfectly valid comparison.

On ‎10‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 6:59 PM, frank808 said:

No you have to cruise to get the points. Another way to look at it is that you were reimbursed by insurance, do you get points because insurance reimbursed you?  Maybe insurance should get the cruise points by your logic.

Insurance keeping points has nothing to do with my question. I just wasn't sure if the cruise remained paid if full whether I would get credit for it. 

Thanks to everyone for their answers.

On 11/1/2018 at 10:10 AM, sparks1093 said:

Or someone complaining about bad customer service when they call and don't get the answer they want to hear

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1