May have to Cancel our Nov 21st Cruise

Sadly, my DW’s Mom who is ninety has had a major setback with her health. We may need to cancel our scheduled cruise. I did pay for the cruise with a credit card with cancellation protection, so I’m optimistic we will get the cruise fare back. We also prebooked some specialty dining and a SBP. It’s my understanding that we will be refunded those as well.

What I am wondering about: are there any things that may arise in the process I may not be aware of? I can’t really think of anything else, but if any of you have insights for a last minute cancellation, I would greatly appreciate any thoughts. I am aware of the documentation I need to provide the credit card company, just looking any other roadblocks. Thanks to all!

Edited by Cruzin with BQ & CQ

My only fear is that at 90, everything is pre-existing, and I know my Chase Reserve will not pay for pre existing conditions in a cancellation.

Unless what she experienced is a totally and completely new occurance, the card might not pay (unless you’ve found a card that does cover pre existing conditions). Chase doesn’t even have a look back period, it’s pre existing or it’s not.   

Edited by alwaysfrantic

Sorry to hear this news.  I hope your mother in law improves.  We have had to cancel 4 cruises because of me and a medical condition I got unexpectedly.  Unfortunately we always bought HAL’s platinum protection and got all our money back.  I have no information on dealing with credit card companies.

i do know that some credit cards won’t let you cancel unless you or your wife are sick.  So you should read your policy.

If you had flights books they are usually can’t be canceled or transferred.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Edited by 1of4

6 minutes ago, alwaysfrantic said:

My only fear is that at 90, everything is pre-existing, and I know my Chase Reserve will not pay for pre existing conditions in a cancellation.

Unless what she experienced is a totally and completely new occurance, the card might not pay (unless you’ve found a card that does cover pre existing conditions). Chase doesn’t even have a look back period, it’s pre existing or it’s not.   

That’s a good point, did not think of that situation. I will say, this is her first hospitalization in over forty years and was taken from the hospital to a nursing home in the last week or so.

51 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Sorry to hear this news.  I hope your mother in law improves.  We have had to cancel 4 cruises because of me and a medical condition I got unexpectedly.  Unfortunately we always bought HAL’s platinum protection and got all our money back.  I have no information on dealing with credit card companies.

i do know that some credit cards won’t let you cancel unless you or your wife are sick.  So you should read your policy.

HALs Platinum pays 90%. How did you get the entire amount back?

15 minutes ago, TiogaCruiser said:

HALs Platinum pays 90%. How did you get the entire amount back?

I believe the 90% is for Cancel for Any Reason but the Trip Cancel should be 100% if it's a Covered Medical Reason for Immediate Family since HAL's Platinum Plan includes Medical.

1 hour ago, 1of4 said:

We had to use HAL's Platinum protection twice only got back 90% of our money.  How did you get back 100%?

We also buy refundable air line tickets -- so we get those monies back.

And we book with hotels that know us and have gotten back all points or were not charged for late cancellations.

1 minute ago, idiebabe said:

I believe the 90% is for Cancel for Any Reason but the Trip Cancel should be 100% if it's a Covered Medical Reason for Immediate Family since HAL's Platinum Plan includes Medical.

One of our 2 last minute cancellations was a medical problem -- with me -- still only 90% back.

We canceled before final payment so got our full refund.  We did take cancel for any reason insurance after I got sick but those 3 cruises my doctor would not allow me to sail when I asked before final payment.

So sorry to hear about your mother-in-law.  I hope the effort to get some or total refund doesn't stress you too much at a time when you're already under pressure worrying about a loved one.  If it provides any comfort to you, my mother started having health issues at 85 and lived to be 95.  She was active up until about 1 month before her death, and she had been in and out of nursing homes, defying the doctors and the odds for years.  At 92, I took her on a HA cruise!  Here's hoping your mother-in-law will rally in the same way.  God bless you and your family at this difficult time.

31 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

So sorry to hear about your mother-in-law.  I hope the effort to get some or total refund doesn't stress you too much at a time when you're already under pressure worrying about a loved one.  If it provides any comfort to you, my mother started having health issues at 85 and lived to be 95.  She was active up until about 1 month before her death, and she had been in and out of nursing homes, defying the doctors and the odds for years.  At 92, I took her on a HA cruise!  Here's hoping your mother-in-law will rally in the same way.  God bless you and your family at this difficult time.

Thank you so much for your kind thoughts and wishes. We are optimistic she will rebound because she is getting wonderful care at her facility. Thanks again for your thoughtful wishes!

52 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

We canceled before final payment so got our full refund.  We did take cancel for any reason insurance after I got sick but those 3 cruises my doctor would not allow me to sail when I asked before final payment.

58 minutes ago, 1of4 said:

Ahh, that’s the reason. It was before final payment, so it was a refund and not a return under Platinum. 

With Platinum, the insurance starts when you begin your travel. HAL “insures” the CAR prior to your leaving.

In my situation, had I purchased a private policy my return would have been 100% due to being a medical emergency. Had it been a non-covered Reason, it would have been 75%, as that was the policy I would have purchased. For a lot less, I purchased the HAL Platinum and did get the 90%, as expected. Do to my unique circumstances (and health Insurance that covers foreign travel), the HAL Platinum was my best fit.

2 hours ago, idiebabe said:

2 hours ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

One of our 2 last minute cancellations was a medical problem -- with me -- still only 90% back.

See above. I’m not sure why the multiple posts came out the way they did.:classic_blink:

Are 2 post quotes the limit?

Edited by TiogaCruiser