Maps for shore excursions

Lindylou08

As a former heavy user of maps on my job, I am a bit sensitive to having a detailed map.  So, I research the ports I am interested in on the Internet and can generally find a much better map than what the ship provides.

Of course, Google maps is a great source and you can modify the map to exactly the area you need.  For example, we were just in Boston and I was able to make up a map covering just the pier area and the south side - reduced all the confusion of a large city map.

Years ago HAL always had great maps of each port.  We still laugh about our day in Odessa, Ukraine.  We DIY that day and were happy to get the map -- until we saw that all the signs were in Ukrainian.  :classic_biggrin:   We still had a great day.  Now that HAL doesn't have maps beyond the immediate dock area, I always print off a good walking map before we leave.

There are good maps on line to print out, which is what we do ahead of time.  I do use maps (dot) me on my phone.  If you allow it to follow you, it will tell you where you are.  It doesn't necessarily tell you where you want to go!:classic_biggrin:

I always take the ship's map with us, too.  I does have information you may need about the port agent, etc., just in case you get left behind....

The new port booklets offered in each cabin is a vast improvement over the flyers we used to get on each port. But there is a strong need for serious updating and proof-reading to provide more precise and accurate information.

They are marginally valuable and I hope they get the editing update they now desperately need if they are to be considered a valuable passenger service. Be sure to tear out the page and carry it with you since it does include valuable port contact information. .

Best advice already given, make sure you have your own back-up maps. Often the port community greeting committees offer local maps, but not always.  Plus it happens from time to time that the planned docking site gets changed at the last minute.

Edited by OlsSalt

While the maps available from the ship are pretty basic many, if not most ports have locals on the dock or in the terminal handing out much more detailed & accurate maps.  plus they can help you with walking routes, restaurants, & lots of other information. 

16 hours ago, Cruising-along said:

Years ago HAL always had great maps of each port.  We still laugh about our day in Odessa, Ukraine.  We DIY that day and were happy to get the map -- until we saw that all the signs were in Ukrainian.  :classic_biggrin:   We still had a great day.  Now that HAL doesn't have maps beyond the immediate dock area, I always print off a good walking map before we leave.

I have definitely noticed a severe decline in the quality and usefulness of the maps given out with the Port Guides. They definitely used to be much better and much more useful for getting around in the ports than they are now. The focus has absolutely changed to highlight the shops the cruise lines have made deals with, to the detriment of everything else. They are still better than nothing, but nothing is a very, very low bar.

4 hours ago, ellieanne said:

They are still better than nothing, but nothing is a very, very low bar.

LOL... 0 times an infinitely big number = 0. You are supposed to book a shore excursion through HAL.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 1:06 AM, Scrapnana said:

Usually yes, but they are not always very detailed.  

LOL, this reminded me of when we were in Santorini. We were lost, but stumbled onto a cave museum. After doing the tour, we showed the guide our HAL map, and asked him to point out where we were. He laughed and said we were off the map. He then asked if we had a car, and when we said not tried to get us a cab. When that did not work, he did thankfully point out a shortcut to us.

Google maps can be downloaded and used in off-line mode. You simply put your phone in airplane mode and set your location services to "device only." It works surprisingly well. We did a test of it on the "wild side" of Cozumel last fall. There's no cell service, but the downloaded maps were accurate to about 3 meters. 

You'll want to grab all your maps at home while you are on broadband. The "freshness" of the offline maps is usually 30-60 days, but that should be not be an issue on most cruises. 

2 hours ago, Bill B said:

LOL... 0 times an infinitely big number = 0. You are supposed to book a shore excursion through HAL.

LOL ..you are supposed to do your own homework, if you want to DIY in any port. HAL has set up EXC Central to help you too. So no, you are not supposed to book HAL shore excursions, but they are great for those who don't want to DIY. 

Edited by OlsSalt

There is a site called Whatsinport that has great info.  And I always take a screenshot of their map of the ports where we're going.  It has what is called "Live Nautical Chart with Wikipedia Markers" which is a great map, very detailed.