Summit - wine disappointment

joern

A year ago we were on Constellation in the Mediteranean. Great cruise and we had an extremely good experience with our sommelier in the MDR. He knew what he were talking about, knew when to serve and which wines to combine with the meals chosen. Also the wines were excellent.

Because of this experience we decided to book Celebrity again and has just returned from the Summit in the Caribean, but what a disappointment. The first sommelier we had, didn't come to our table before I had the waiter call for him. Just asked if we wanted white wine for the appetizer and then served it when we where half done eating the appetizer. Same thing happened with the main course. He didn't care what meals we had chosen and definately not which wines to pair with them.

Next day I asked to be moved to another section. The sommelier we had there was nice and she paid a lot of atention to us, but the knowledge was not good and the selection of wines were not better than standard wines on other lines.

I don't know if this is just a new standard on Celebrity (or maybe they just serve better wines in Europe) but i was very disappointed and my intention of staying loyal to Celebrity is gone. I will probably book with them again, but only if it's a good deal

I guess because we always get the BP the wine the sommelier brings that we request (Sovereign Blanc or Cabernet Sovereign) we like. We even like the wines offered during the Elite and above social HH. But we don't base our cruise itinerary or cruise line based on the wine selections onboard. 

Edited by davekathy

We had an incredible sommelier on the Equinox on our past cruise, and a so so one on Infinity.  Both times we were in Luminae.  The woman on the Equinox made great selections for wines and kew our likes and dislikes by the second evening.  She was one of the best ever

I always ask each night for the full wine list by the glass and let the Sommelier know I wish to pair per course, and what specific wines I want each evening.  I also do traditional late dining which seems to be less popular, so end up with good service - usually by the 3rd day the wine list is waiting for me and the Sommelier comes over fairly quick to take my order once I set the menus down.  I do not expect them to be expert at pairings, as I drink what I like, and change varietals based on my mood.  Overall I have been pleased with the service and usually have the Premium Beverage Package.  Sorry you had disappointing experiences

We recently had our best experience ever with sommelier choices on the Eclipse in a range on venues. The wine selection within the premium package we found to be very good.

Did you discuss your disappointment of wine selections with the sommelier or the M’D? 

The more we cruise the more we try if we experience any issues to be politely vocal at the time at the time rather than complain later....Was anyone on board aware you had found your experience disappointing?

• Like 1

We had a similar disappointing experience on Summit last week. Also served after we had started eating, not refilled promptly, and disappointing choices. The first night, the young lady just served us the standard cheap wine, even though we all four had the Premium beverage package. We asked to be moved to a larger table for the rest of the cruise, and ended up in a different section. This guy, Erik, was even worse. We told him we had the premium package and would like to try some nice wines. Her also tried to serve us cheap wine, and even told us it was just as good. The third night, we asked for a specific wine, to which he said, "I don't think that's on your package." I told him I had checked, and that it was. To which he replied, "OH!! You have the premium package??" And it went on and on, every night arguing with him for good wine instead of what he already had opened. We had a great experience a few years ago, which was the main reason we sprung for the premium package. VERY disappointed.

We had the most wonderful sommelier ever on Infinity on a Panama Canal, and South America cruise in the MDR. He appeared each night a precisely the right time and had creative and wonderful suggestions to pair with each course and as if by magic refilled our glasses. I wish I remembered his name, but it was 10 years ago. We haven't had any that could even come close to his knowledge and ability. Out last cruise, on Reflection in Blu in the Caribbean the sommelier seemed to insist on offering the same red or white choices nightly and never had a single different suggestion.

5 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I always ask each night for the full wine list by the glass and let the Sommelier know I wish to pair per course, and what specific wines I want each evening.  I also do traditional late dining which seems to be less popular, so end up with good service - usually by the 3rd day the wine list is waiting for me and the Sommelier comes over fairly quick to take my order once I set the menus down.  I do not expect them to be expert at pairings, as I drink what I like, and change varietals based on my mood.  Overall I have been pleased with the service and usually have the Premium Beverage Package.  Sorry you had disappointing experiences

But this is specifically what a Sommelier is supposed to do! Otherwise, don't use the title. The test is about knowledge and service.

I've had one good Sommelier on Celebrity and one OK. I've also dined in some of the best restaurants in the United States where the wine list was selected by a Master, and those on the floor are Level II and III. The Master generally selects the wines specifically to pair with the chef's courses, and the Sommelier on the restaurant floor knows those pairings, talks to you about preferences, and recommends a pairing.

While I find the folks on Celebrity to be better than many cruise ship wine servers, most do not compare to shoreside Sommeliers.

• Like 1

I was never impressed by any wine list on any ship , really do not need help in ordering wine. Sommelier in luminae did offer help, he was very impressed by our wine which we brought with us and asked if he could taste it, he did not charge us a corkage fee😁