St.Thomas and Tortola excursions

cruisinmeme

we will be sailing the breakaway June 2 and have always done western itinerary. What is everyone’s favorite excursion for st.thomas and Tortola?  Will have two 17 year olds and 15 year old.  They do love the water. Prefer to book thru the ship since we are so new to these ports.

For St. Thomas I would either do a snorkeling excursion or spend the day at either Coki Beach or Sapphire beach. For Tortola I would either go to the Baths on Virgin Gorda, or take an excursion to Jost Van Dyke.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

we will be sailing the breakaway June 2 and have always done western itinerary. What is everyone’s favorite excursion for st.thomas and Tortola?  Will have two 17 year olds and 15 year old.  They do love the water. Prefer to book thru the ship since we are so new to these ports.

We were on a cruise there last month and once we got on the ship, they offered many more excursions than what was listed on their website.

These 2 ports are very very easy and safe to get around on your own if heading to a beach or tourist stop. Taxis right at port. It's a totally different feeling then western ports. Don't have people trying to sell you things, or get you to do their tours. If heading to a beach to snorkel just grab a taxi bus and save a ton of $$ avoiding the cruises excursions

11 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

absolutely have to do the Virgin Gorta baths when in Tortolla. The kids will love the experience and you will as well.. This has always stuck in my mind as one of the best tours there is and we have done plenty of tours. As for St Thomas, I would suggest, probably Megan's bay or a fairy over to St John's. 

For Tortola, either do the Baths or do the Escape to Jost Van Dyke excursion (we will doing this for the second time on our next cruise).

If you are staying on St. Thomas proper, don't bother with a ship excursion. Spend some time on the St. Thomas boards and get your bearings. There is really no reason for you to do a land-based ship excursion on St. Thomas. Taxis are plentiful and regulated, English is the native language and there is a lot of information about the different beaches.

11 hours ago, cruisinmeme said:

Thanks everyone for the info.  Already sounds like a better trip knowing we want be hounded where ever we go. After 23 western cruises i could not handle anymore of that.

we will mull over theoptions and make a plan.

you will find a lot of positives about cruising the eastern route. Not that there aren't some positives about but we do enjoy the eastern and southern itineraries better. 

Just now, Seminole1975 said:

Check out: Escape to Jost Van Dyke on the Rebel Yell with Captain Claudia. A NCL excursion. We did it in October and it was a blast!

Captain Claudia was very informative when we were on the Rebel Yell.

• 3 weeks later...

Jost Van Dyke is the best.  Nice relaxing beach and if the kids are enjoying the beach you can do the bar crawl.  6-7 bars along the beach maybe 200 yards walk total walk so the kids are close by.  Enjoy the trip but take the later excrusion I belive around 9 instead of the 7.

On 11/10/2018 at 7:20 PM, cruisinmeme said:

I did Virgin Gorda baths excursion with my 14yo nephew. The exploration through the caves/baths to the other beach was an amazing experience and great memories were made. We used snorkel gear on the beach before we took the trip to the other side. My mother kept the gear as she'd done the baths years ago. We met up with her back at the top, returned the gear, grabbed our provided libation before boarding the open air bus back to the ship.

On 11/12/2018 at 12:22 PM, skeeter558 said:

We found an excursion with aristocat charters.  Went out all day and snorkeled at three different spots.  We had a great time.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g147355-d1526311-Reviews-Aristocat_Charters-Road_Town_Tortola_British_Virgin_Islands.html

They are amazing! Got my 3rd tour with them booked!