Balcony access

sandjforever

We have had forward balcony’s with the same statement about its use while at sea.  We were always able to use the balcony but the wind and sea conditions frequently did not make for comfortable use.

57 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

Although our forward-facing balcony door was not locked, we were told that we were not allowed to use the balcony while the ship was underway.  We honored that restriction.

You are the first person I have ever heard that restriction from.

What ship and what cabin?  

We had a forward facing balcony on the Royal in the British Isles. Perhaps, we had lady luck on our side, but we were sailing with the wind for the majority of our cruise and had extremely light winds on our balcony. Our steward asked us to make sure our curtains were drawn at night and to leave our balcony light off. He did mention to be mindful of the wind, but that was it. We loved the enormous size and the vantage point was terrific! We would book again.

17 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

You are the first person I have ever heard that restriction from.

What ship and what cabin?  

Diamond Princess, April 10, 2005, seven day Mexican Riviera, roundtrip from L.A.   Cabin C-101.  Back then (I do not know about today), the cabin was not sold as a balcony, because of the restrictions, so I was happy to have the (unpaid for) balcony on the limited hours we were allowed to use it.  I was able to use it only in the morning before we left the ship for port, and in the late afternoon, after we returned from visiting the port.  

We were also instructed to keep the drapes closed at night, because the light pollution from our cabin would interfere with the officers' and crew members' night vision -- we were immediately below the bridge.

Being all the way forward, we had a lot of motion.  I prefer amidships.