Home away from home on Regatta’s passage to Polynesia Nov 2018

rloke

First sea day towards Kahului, Maui.

As per the Captain, we have north-west wind hitting the starboard side and 1-1.5 meters waves creating a bit rolly-polly sailing so far...so advised to especially hold on handrails while using the staircases.

Lunch today was quite good. Ahi tuna salad was done perfectly. Short rib mole was ok...meat was tender and flavourful...but mole sauce was not as rich and have the extend of spices that we are used to with mole. A little bit on the sweet side but not too too bad overall.

D739175B-70D1-404A-8A25-36D733866A59.jpeg

Ipoh,

Thank you for starting your journey and taking the time to write about your wonderful cruise! Enjoyed the pictures you have taken and the presentation of the food looks good. May I ask what type of cabin you have and I’m from San Diego California and always sailing to Maui on to Tahiti the first couple of days you will have some swells and rocking and rolling 😊 I’m looking forward to more of your writings! Happy Sailings 

Denise😊

Last night dinner at Polo was fantastic.

Got the “princess” cut prime rib because there is no way I can finish the 16 or 32 oz queen/king cut. The kitchen managed to snag an excellent medium-rare piece that was wonderfully juicy and tender.

The shrimp scampi dish was great as well...excellent sized shrimps.

C36BBC0E-70D9-4E74-B825-EDA307A97B28.jpeg

B0927D71-F144-40BF-9CA6-2637369382AF.jpeg

20 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Ipoh,

Thank you for starting your journey and taking the time to write about your wonderful cruise! Enjoyed the pictures you have taken and the presentation of the food looks good. May I ask what type of cabin you have and I’m from San Diego California and always sailing to Maui on to Tahiti the first couple of days you will have some swells and rocking and rolling 😊 I’m looking forward to more of your writings! Happy Sailings 

Denise😊

We are in an aft balcony on the 6th deck.

Yup rocking a bit and likely more tomorrow because the captain mentioned in his noon announcement that swells will be a bit higher (up to 5 feet).

12 hours ago, Starlaker said:

Thank you for posting.  We will be joining the Regatta in Papeete on 27 November so I am very interested in how you are liking the ship, crew, and food.  I look forward to following your journey.

The ship is in pristine condition. Food is excellent so far...as far as we remember, it is on par with our previous Oceania cruises.

Service is per usual Oceania standard. So far we feel that the wine stewards’ service to be excellent. Perhaps not as short-staffed as before...

To offset the whipped cream from Baristas, did some ballroom dancing with the entertainment staff...it is a cha-cha-cha lesson for the first ballroom dancing lesson for this voyage lead by Oliver and Airi...

9654DFA7-AF18-4CA0-9946-743DD8E7D813.jpeg

BA926594-FD08-412E-A7B5-1CA82BA0C0D6.jpeg

Edited by ipoh
Added additional photo

Oceania must have got a good deal on that Serrano ham. It's been on the appetizer list for half on the nights on our cruise. A bit salty for me. 

Glad to hear that Regatta is not completely falling apart as another cruiser here would have us believe. 

12 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Do not think it is  a Captains dinner   they have not had those in years

looks like one of the regular menus

Most likely the Captain's cocktail party night, free drinks in all lounges, but not connected with a GDR dinner.  and...the only night that the GDR has a major rush of passengers- when the free drinks shut down at around 8PM.

Agree, great menu for that night!

Last night dinner was good. Wine service is still prompt and attentive.

The sea bass dish was divine...just like the excellent dish from Red Ginger on the O-class ship.

The steamed Maine lobster was a bit overcooked, the accompanying saffron rice was good though.

Foie gras was good as usual, not too good from a health perspective but a good sized portion...

The Papuan volcano was really good. Rich, chocolate-y with a refreshing passion fruit filling.

D67B6154-2FDB-47A6-BCF0-99BE77F4AF26.jpeg

C550E7E0-2D40-4BDC-B94C-2877748C4B8C.jpeg

6EEBE91E-638F-424E-ABCA-098A146C355D.jpeg

13F7892F-8468-4D31-99C3-D419A0719A1D.jpeg

Edited by ipoh
Added photos

15 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Do not think it is  a Captains dinner   they have not had those in years

looks like one of the regular menus

Right, not a captain’s dinner. Just coincide with the captain celebration night...with some, I am guessing, slightly more luxurious dinner items.

15 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Ipoh looks like your enjoying  the time 

on board!  I’d have to do at least 4-5 mile walk daily to enjoy all the food and drink 🙄  The menu looks really good too!

enjoy your sea days .

Denise😊

We should be hitting the gym soon too...

Edited by ipoh
Spelling

3 hours ago, arima22 said:

Most likely the Captain's cocktail party night, free drinks in all lounges, but not connected with a GDR dinner.  and...the only night that the GDR has a major rush of passengers- when the free drinks shut down at around 8PM.

Agree, great menu for that night!

Correct...

Raymond, the Martini’s bartender, remembered that we have the “upgraded” drinks package and mentioned that he would get us our pre-dinner Martinis in the regular sized glass.

54FCCCEF-E9BE-4B8C-AB01-3D41E0D875D0.jpeg

Edited by ipoh
Added photo