Vancouver to Seattle October 7, 2019

USCAdventurer

I'm travelling on an overnight cruise from Seattle to Vancouver next October.  My questions concern returning to Seattle as soon as possible after the ship arrives in port.  We are scheduled to arrive at 7:30am and I can be one of the first passengers off the ship because I'm elite and travelling in a suite.  There is a flight on Alaska Air at 9:45am.  Do you think I could make that flight or not?  Or should I try taking a bus back to Seattle?  I live in Phoenix and the airfare from Vancouver to Phoenix is way too much money compared to Seattle to Phoenix flights.  Has anyone had this exeperience and could give me some good advice?

Thanks in advance.

I wouldn't do it. That is way too tight. I would rather take a bus or rent a car and get to Seattle and take a late afternoon flight from there. Since it is a Monday, you could hit traffic in Vancouver and in Seattle. We did the one way in September this year, on a Monday and got stuck in a traffic jam due to an accident 10 minutes after leaving Canada Place for well over an hour, sat at the border for a little over an hour and hit traffic in Seattle. It took us a very long time to get all the way to Seatac to return our car.

1 hour ago, USC Adventurer said:

I'm travelling on an overnight cruise from Seattle to Vancouver next October.  My questions concern returning to Seattle as soon as possible after the ship arrives in port.  We are scheduled to arrive at 7:30am and I can be one of the first passengers off the ship because I'm elite and travelling in a suite.  There is a flight on Alaska Air at 9:45am.  Do you think I could make that flight or not?  Or should I try taking a bus back to Seattle?  I live in Phoenix and the airfare from Vancouver to Phoenix is way too much money compared to Seattle to Phoenix flights.  Has anyone had this exeperience and could give me some good advice?

Thanks in advance.

just curious - all the way from Phoenix for a one night cruise? or combined with other activities ?

I'm confused. The OP talked about airfare out of YVR being too high, then seemingly wants to fly out of YVR to SEA because fares are cheaper out of SEA (but what about the cost of getting to SEA?). 

In any event, my datapoint from this year's version of this cruise: off ship in the first group at 7:45am, walked to Waterfront station, Skytrain to YVR, and through security and US Immigration and Customs (with Global Entry which, if you have your card, also gets you in the shorter Nexus security line) and out on the concourse about 9:15. Considering that for transborder flights at YVR, you're supposed to be at the gate 45 minutes before, this would have not legally made a 9:45 flight (I did make my 11:10 flight with ease).

i rereading my post, i should have mentioned the 9:45am flight is from vancouver to seattle to then catch an afternoon flight to phoenix.  however, i've concluded that it would not be possible to make that flight so i found an 11:45am flight to seattle and a flight to phoenix at 2:55pm.  i should be fine with those arrangements.  i wouldn't mind taking the bus to seattle, but by using alaska miles, it's easier to fly out of vancouver and change planes in seattle and they only require 20,000 miles for the whole trip.  very reasonable in my opinion.

43 minutes ago, USC Adventurer said:

i rereading my post, i should have mentioned the 9:45am flight is from vancouver to seattle to then catch an afternoon flight to phoenix.  however, i've concluded that it would not be possible to make that flight so i found an 11:45am flight to seattle and a flight to phoenix at 2:55pm.  i should be fine with those arrangements.  i wouldn't mind taking the bus to seattle, but by using alaska miles, it's easier to fly out of vancouver and change planes in seattle and they only require 20,000 miles for the whole trip.  very reasonable in my opinion.

you made a good choice.  1145 am out of YVR is doable.

One time we were on a 1 night into Seattle and we had heard was some labor dispute with the CBP agents and they were being extra careful and reviewing documents very closely.  We got off at 8am but it took 2 hours to get out of the terminal.  Part of the issue was that the cruise was out of the old Ballentyne pier in Vancouver which did not have US Customs preclearance.

Disembarkation for the 1 night cruise is usually easy and smooth in Vancouver, but one never knows because it depends on how Canada wants/needs to handle Customs that day. There can be a line to disembark at popular times, but early disembarkation is not the popular time due to it being a common party cruise. The Vancouver airport can be a long process, so I wouldn’t advise a flight before 12:30 PM. You first check in, then take your luggage to a separate belt, then get in what is usually a terribly long line for Security (unless you have Global Entry; we fly through that line), then you get in another long line for US Customs (unless you have Global Entry; it’s usually much faster but not always because they sometimes feed people from another section of the airport into that line, too), and then you walk what feels like a mile to your gate. Also, keep in mind that Vancouver can have bad traffic. You’re probably best off taking the SkyTrain to the airport. 

As for the bus to Seattle, it’s lonnnnng. We did it one time from Seattle to Vancouver to board a cruise and not again; pay a little extra to fly from Vancouver. 

cruisequeen4ever,

thanks for your advice. however, i did book an alaska air flight to seattle which departs vancouver at 11:45am.  i'll just have to get off the ship as early as i can and get to the airport as fast as possible.  i do not have global entry since i don't fly that often so hopefully i'll still be able to make the flight.

6 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

cruisequeen4ever,

thanks for your advice. however, i did book an alaska air flight to seattle which departs vancouver at 11:45am.  i'll just have to get off the ship as early as i can and get to the airport as fast as possible.  i do not have global entry since i don't fly that often so hopefully i'll still be able to make the flight.

11:45 should not be an issue. As I mentioned above, I was on the concourse at YVR by 9:15 with Global Entry. Allowing an extra hour still has you out there by 10:15.

Based on my experience on thus year's cruise, since it's one night, Princess does not solicit for your disembarkation information. Almost everyone will be assigned to a walk-off group based on their cabin. But there will be no enforcement of the walk-off groups. Think of them as merely suggestions just like embarkation times are suggestions (they probably do help spread out the demand since many people will follow the listed times). I disembarked with group 1 and no one was checking to make sure I was in that cabin group. My assigned time was 9:15am and as I said above, by then I was on the concourse at YVR. 🙂

cruisequeen4ever,

An 11:45 is a lot more possible if you do like you said and walk off ASAP. Good luck! 

I would not try such a tight connection even if you are a suite platinum.  We are on the same cruise but staying on board and continuing on to Hawaii.  The Pacific NW is home and we know Vancouver and Seattle well.  You’ll never make a flight before 1100.  When you disembark you will have to do Canadian Immigration/Customs, yes you’ll be one of the 1st but...  then you have a 1 hour trip to the airport by taxi (no Uber) through city traffic, and it’s a Monday.  You must arrive at YVR at least 2 hours before your flight back to the USA, immigration and customs is done in Vancouver.  It’s pretty far in the future, but Delta, Air Canada, and Alaska all have flights to Seattle (SEA) with connections to Peonix.    

cruisequeen,

yes, i feel pretty confident that i'll make the 11:45am flight.  i haven't decided if i'll take the sky train or a taxi to the airport.  the train probably would be better since it avoids traffic delays.  is the skytrain station near the cruise terminal?

You want the Canada Line, it’s about 4 blocks from Canada Place.  It depends on your luggage as to whether you can walk there.  If you are just doing the quick trip with one bag you should be fine.  The entrance is on Granville Street about 1/2 way between Hastings and Pender.  

The Canada Line goes direct to YVR, just be sure to get on the right train.  The train will be faster than a cab if you don’t have a lot of luggage.  It goes under Cambie Street and avoids the traffic.  

On 11/14/2018 at 7:17 AM, USC Adventurer said:

Thanks in advance.

You’ll probably not make it.  

You are Elite traveling in a suite.  You can afford to bite the bullet, and go Vancouver to Phoenix.

Good luck.

King

On 11/14/2018 at 1:12 PM, USC Adventurer said:

You will be fine.

2 hours ago, OR_Cowboy_1952 said:

You want the Canada Line, it’s about 4 blocks from Canada Place.  It depends on your luggage as to whether you can walk there.  If you are just doing the quick trip with one bag you should be fine.  The entrance is on Granville Street about 1/2 way between Hastings and Pender.  

No need to walk that far outside or cross streets. You can enter via the Waterfront station (the one that looks like an old railroad station because it is an old railroad station) two block west of Canada Place (just past Granville Street) on the north (water) side of Cordova Street.

23 minutes ago, lstone19 said:

No need to walk that far outside or cross streets. You can enter via the Waterfront station (the one that looks like an old railroad station because it is an old railroad station) two block west of Canada Place (just past Granville Street) on the north (water) side of Cordova Street.

Your right, but I always felt it was longer to take the underground passages.  If the day is rainy the underground is fine, but it never rains in Vancouver, right?  🙂

1 hour ago, OR_Cowboy_1952 said:

Your right, but I always felt it was longer to take the underground passages.  If the day is rainy the underground is fine, but it never rains in Vancouver, right?  🙂

You’re probably correct that it’s longer that way, at least distance, but it might be faster due to not having to cross those other streets. In any event, I’ve done it twice going in via Waterfront station as that’s the way I know. While I knew there were other entrances, why go looking for others when you know where one is that’s good enough.

For the benefit of the OP, two different Skytrain lines server Waterfront. You’ll want the Canada Line and as was said above, a Canada Line train going to YVR. And the Skytrain station at YVR is right across from the international terminal so exit the Skytrain station, cross the roadway, and the trans-border check-in area will be right upstairs. It’s far more convenient to international arrivals and departures than domestic flights.

thank you all for the sky train information.  i'm going to save these replies and keep them with me and refer to them on the ship.  you're all so helpful.  it still seems so far away from now, and it is, but i like planning early and thank you all again.  i have much more confidence that i will make this alaska flight at 11:45am.

the other thing i'm puzzled about is why the star princess is leaving seattle at 4pm to go to vancouver.  it's a very short trip and i wish they would have given a later departure time but that's ok.  i guess they just go to vancouver and park the ship somewhere until they can dock around 7am.  i've never done anything this ridiculous before but i want to be elite for my next 10 day cruise from san francisco to mexico in feb, 2020.  since i used to live in seattle, i am going a day early to visit and stay with some friends and they will take me to the ship on sunday.

thanks again.  you're all wonderful!!!

18 minutes ago, USC Adventurer said:

the other thing i'm puzzled about is why the star princess is leaving seattle at 4pm to go to vancouver.  it's a very short trip and i wish they would have given a later departure time but that's ok.  i guess they just go to vancouver and park the ship somewhere until they can dock around 7am.  i've never done anything this ridiculous before but i want to be elite for my next 10 day cruise from san francisco to mexico in feb, 2020.  since i used to live in seattle, i am going a day early to visit and stay with some friends and they will take me to the ship on sunday.

It's all about revenue and expenses. Shops can't open until the ship departs. And they're having to add Seattle sales tax to drink prices until the ship leaves (basic economic principle is the higher the price, the less people buy - having to collect the sales tax reduces sales). And the longer they're in port, the more they pay in dockage fees.

As for what it does, as on all cruise segments, they set a speed to get to the next port at the desired time. So you will cruise slowly. The routing is actually up Puget Sound and out the Strait of Juan de Fuca until abeam Port Angeles where the U.S. (Seattle) pilot will disembark, then across to abeam Victoria where the Canadian (Vancouver) pilot will embark, then slowly up to Vancouver.

As I discovered on a cruise earlier this year on Coral Princess, the Vancouver longshoremen don't start working until 7:00,. Our captain had us alongside but no lines on the dock before 7:00. Finally at 7:00, the longshoremen came out and walked to their positions and only then did our ship start putting out the mooring lines. You can expect to pass under the Lions Gate Bridge about 45 minutes before scheduled arrival.

• Like 1

thank you all for the sky train information.  i'm going to save these replies and keep them with me and refer to them on the ship.  you're all so helpful.  it still seems so far away from now, and it is, but i like planning early and thank you all again.  i have much more confidence that i will make this alaska flight at 11:45am.

thanks again.  you're all wonderful!!!

You are welcome about help with Translink and the Canada Line.  Translink has a decent website and some maps.  https://www.translink.ca/Schedules-and-Maps/SkyTrain/SkyTrain-Schedules/Canada-Line.aspx.  As long as you have limited luggage, it’s an easy ride.  Also YVR handles ticketing, baggage, security, and immigaration very well, buy there may be a line.  Flights to the USA are considered “Transborder” and the airlines are grouped at the east end of the terminal,  It’s below the Fairmont Hotel.  

The reason we are leaving at 1630 (4:30OPM) is partially as described above by  Istone19 above.  But also Princess often used these cruises as promotional cruises.  They want to give 1st time cruisers the chance to try a short trip and experience at sea.  Speeds are lower in the Salish Sea because of all the wildlife and wakes.  We did Vancouver to Victoria leaving at 1630 and arriving at 0700.  The ship actually went up the Straits of Georgia made a big turn east of Comax and headed south.  The distance to Seattle is almost twice as far as Victoria.