Anyone else getting stuck on @ Username entry?

I don't know if I'm just lucky or what, but when I am typing a post and I want to put in a user's name with a direct link using the at sign, I find that I cannot type on the line once the username is entered. As a workaround, I type the whole sentence, leaving space for the username and then go back and enter it so as not to get stuck.

Anyone else experiencing this? @POA1

10 minutes ago, flossie009 said:

It works for me @POA1 wherever in a post.

Question: Is there a way of toning down the deep blue highlighting and suppressing the @. It just looks too much in a post.

No, I think we're stuck with the formatting. 

8 hours ago, POA1 said:

I don't know if I'm just lucky or what, but when I am typing a post and I want to put in a user's name with a direct link using the at sign, I find that I cannot type on the line once the username is entered. As a workaround, I type the whole sentence, leaving space for the username and then go back and enter it so as not to get stuck.

Anyone else experiencing this? @POA1

If you use the selection box to complete the @POA1 instead of typing then it hangs up, in windows you can get of of the selection by hitting the windows key I will screen shot this @ALANF65.

image.png.c4101146e33c1ba856d12655e11bd042.png

2 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

If you use the selection box to complete the @POA1 instead of typing then it hangs up, in windows you can get of of the selection by hitting the windows key I will screen shot this @ALANF65.

image.png.c4101146e33c1ba856d12655e11bd042.png

->

Inserting edit, if I edit this post and try to add to enad of line its stull hung up

this is hung up at the end of image.png.77271ac87115f475a5bfb55211016ef5.pngthe line but just @POA1

Edited by AlanF65

@flossie009 if you dont    click on the box that come up with the link and just keep typing the

box goes away  then if you   @flossie009 just keep typing when it has gone away you decide you want to

highlight it so that @flossie009 can see it go back and highlight it and change the background colour to whatever you want, using the icon second from the end - next to the preview box.

The "@" username convention when correctly used notifies the named user that she/he has been mentioned in a post. This is handy when one wants to bring someone into a conversation.

In my experience typing @ followed by the first few letters of a username will produce a drop/pop list of matching usernames. Rather than continuing to type, use the up/down arrow keys or the mouse to locate the desired user and click/press enter to select that user. One should then be able to continue typing, as I have just done for @Aulanis. Continuing to type, rather than selecting a username does not notify the named user of the reference. Nor does it make the username a link to his/her profile.

Edited by broberts

5 hours ago, Aulanis said:

@flossie009 if you dont    click on the box that come up with the link and just keep typing the

box goes away  then if you   @flossie009 just keep typing when it has gone away you decide you want to

highlight it so that @flossie009 can see it go back and highlight it and change the background colour to whatever you want, using the icon second from the end - next to the preview box.

If you don't click on the dropdown userID box, you don't wind up creating the user link (aka the blue box.)

For example: 

• Just typing @Aulanis
  • Selecting from users @Aulanis

2 minutes ago, broberts said:

The "@" username convention when correctly used notifies the named user that she/he has been mentioned in a post.

In my experience typing @ followed by the first few letters of a username will produce a drop/pop list of matching usernames. Rather than continuing to type, use the up/down arrow keys or the mouse to locate the desired user and click/press enter to select that user. One should then be able to continue typing, as I have just done for @Aulanis. Continuing to type, rather than selecting a username does not notify the named user of the reference. Nor does it make the username a link to his/her profile.

Whenever I select a username, usually by mouse click because there is often a list that I have to scroll, my cursor gets "stuck" inside the blue box.  How is that not happening for you?  (Firefox 64-bit 63.0.1 if it matters.)

@POA1, I don't know. This post was entered using Firefox 63.0 (64-bit) and completed with 63.0.1 (64-bit). Neither version @POA1 makes a difference.

After clicking on a user name I immediately continue typing. Usually a space or comma. I have very occasionally experienced the behavior you describe but cannot replicate it.

14 minutes ago, broberts said:

@POA1, I don't know. This post was entered using Firefox 63.0 (64-bit) and completed with 63.0.1 (64-bit). Neither version @POA1 makes a difference.

After clicking on a user name I immediately continue typing. Usually a space or comma. I have very occasionally experienced the behavior you describe but cannot replicate it.

Thanks. I guess I'm just lucky. 

33 minutes ago, broberts said:

The "@" username convention when correctly used notifies the named user that she/he has been mentioned in a post.

That is only the case if the @person has not disabled it.  I have, following the receipt in the early days

of an email that someone had posted and email that I had been mentioned as well as the notifications.

I have switched all that off so I only get an email when someone posts in a thread.(that I am following)

That used to be enough in the old system.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, POA1 said:

Whenever I select a username, usually by mouse click because there is often a list that I have to scroll, my cursor gets "stuck" inside the blue box.  How is that not happening for you?  (Firefox 64-bit 63.0.1 if it matters.)

I am on the same version of Firefox @POA1 I need to click  or hit enter on the username and then hit enter to exit the "blue filed which creates a newline so if you want it in a continuous sentence you need to backspace @POA1

@POA1 after the second enter. @POA1 if you click then tab you can also get out but its a newline. If you try and tab out after selecting in moves out of the edit dialog

51 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

I am on the same version of Firefox @POA1 I need to click  or hit enter on the username and then hit enter to exit the "blue filed which creates a newline so if you want it in a continuous sentence you need to backspace @POA1

@POA1 after the second enter. @POA1 if you click then tab you can also get out but its a newline. If you try and tab out after selecting in moves out of the edit dialog

Thanks. I'll try that once I get back to my desk. 

2 hours ago, broberts said:

@AlanF65, have you tried immediately typing a comma or space after clicking or pressing enter to select from the list?

@broberts comma or space both work when using  @broberts mouse to click while any other actions don't allow me to get past  @broberts @broberts  if I try to continue on with the cursor still in the " @"  field

Edited by AlanF65
  • Like 1

@AlanF65 <<- Return. Wound up on next line.

@AlanF65, <<- Comma. Could continue typing

@AlanF65 << Right arrow, sticks unles you hot down arrow.

@AlanF65 << Trapped without click out or arrow right/down.

It's escaping the blue block all the time now, regardless of what I do. I double-pinky-swear that it was hanging up before.  (If only there were a way to know if it's something they fixed..... Hmm....)

Edited by POA1