Emerald Princess 2019 Drydock

Ep010835

According to the PCL website, the Emerald had her last refurb in December 2015. Does anyone know the extent of the work that will take place during the March 2019 drydock?

I’m curious in part because we will be on her the following February for the 28 day South Pacific round-trip.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, capriccio said:

I don't know about the upcoming Emerald Princess drydock but do know that on the recent Ruby Princess drydock they also installed the wiring for the Ocean Medallion.

We can surely hope the same is in the works for Emerald.

1 hour ago, Parrottdizes said:

I wasn't referring to the quality of the offerings, but rather to the layout of the buffet. 

I apologize. I misunderstood. 

The layout in my mind is a different matter altogether. I love it. Far, far better than the old days of the single lines. 

The current arrangement is reminiscent of a buffet in, say, Vegas. One is free to stroll around to each of the different stations before making a decision on exactly what to get. 

With this freedom, you’ll find that it does get kinda crowded from time to time. 

Add to this the fact that if one chooses to remain on Lido while moving from aft toward midship and beyond (and vice versa), you WILL transit the WFM. Seems to me the designers didn’t think this through throughly. 

IMO:

Overall Design - 7

Food Layout and Presentation - 10

Food Quality - 2

19 hours ago, Parrottdizes said:

Was recently on the Emerald and talked to one of the supervisors and he said that the buffet will be redone and it will look more like the "World Fresh Marketplace" that is on the Caribbean Princess. 

That would be good news to us also. We enjoyed the Caribbean Princess buffet layout, seating and selections better than on other Grand Class ships. The Caribbean also added Planks and Steamers which we thought were nice. Wonder if the Emerald will also do the same or similar.

2 hours ago, skynight said:

That would be good news to us also. We enjoyed the Caribbean Princess buffet layout, seating and selections better than on other Grand Class ships. The Caribbean also added Planks and Steamers which we thought were nice. Wonder if the Emerald will also do the same or similar.

I want to say that Planks and Steamers will be added but am not positive on that point. The crew member I talked to did mention that the seating area will be worked to make it more open.

3 hours ago, Ep010835 said:

I apologize. I misunderstood. 

The layout in my mind is a different matter altogether. I love it. Far, far better than the old days of the single lines. 

The current arrangement is reminiscent of a buffet in, say, Vegas. One is free to stroll around to each of the different stations before making a decision on exactly what to get. 

With this freedom, you’ll find that it does get kinda crowded from time to time. 

Add to this the fact that if one chooses to remain on Lido while moving from aft toward midship and beyond (and vice versa), you WILL transit the WFM. Seems to me the designers didn’t think this through throughly. 

IMO:

Overall Design - 7

Food Layout and Presentation - 10

Food Quality - 2

I was on the Caribbean last Jan. and on the Emerald this last Oct./Nov. and what I appreciated about the WFM (on the Caribbean) was that I didn't have to go all the way back into the buffet to get a dessert; as opposed to the HC (on the Emerald) where I had to go all the way into the buffet. 

Unfortunately those ships only have so much room to work with. While I am not a big fan of the "Royal" class of Princess ships, I do think that class has the best buffet layout. 

• 1 month later...
On 12/14/2018 at 1:10 PM, capriccio said:

I don't know about the upcoming Emerald Princess drydock but do know that on the recent Ruby Princess drydock they also installed the wiring for the Ocean Medallion.

No mention of Ocean Medallion for Emerald in Princess news release today.

On ‎11‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:41 PM, Ep010835 said:

According to the PCL website, the Emerald had her last refurb in December 2015. Does anyone know the extent of the work that will take place during the March 2019 drydock?

I’m curious in part because we will be on her the following February for the 28 day South Pacific round-trip.

I was wondering about the beds.  Anyone know if they have upgraded the mattress to the new Princess bedding?

• 4 weeks later...