Going through Travel Agents for Carnival Cruise

suzytop

Hi Everyone! 🤗

Would using a travel agent, (not Carnival T.A.)  give us a better deal on a cruise in September 2019? Do travel agents give you price protection?

On our last 2 cruises we booked through Carnival website. 

Thank you in advance 😊

3 minutes ago, jdoc2007 said:

All Carnival fares will be the same regardless if you book with a TA, discount sites, or Carnival website.  A TA could possibly give other incentives and personalized suggestions.

Thank you so much for your reply. What incentives should I look out for? Have you seen anything higher than $50 on board credit?

Thanks again 😊

16 minutes ago, suzytop said:

Thank you so much for your reply. What incentives should I look out for? Have you seen anything higher than $50 on board credit?

Thanks again 😊

I've seen $150-$200 cash back (on board credit), wine, flowers etc.

But those were mostly OTA (online travel agents) like Expedia, etc. I don't like them because I require a lot of interaction with my booking (checking for price drops etc.)and with a TA you have to go through them for everything. Carnival won't deal directly with you.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, pyropoodle said:

keep in mind, a travel agent might charge you for the service, but a carnival pvp won't.   just a thought

Good thing to keep in mind,  Thanks, we didn't think of that. 

8 minutes ago, Herbaltees said:

I've seen $150-$200 cash back (on board credit), wine, flowers etc.

But those were mostly OTA (online travel agents) like Expedia, etc. I don't like them because I require a lot of interaction with my booking (checking for price drops etc.)and with a TA you have to go through them for everything. Carnival won't deal directly with you.

Thank you for all that info, and you're right,  no extra deal through carnival. I just recently became platinum, but still no extra discount. Guess I'll just go ahead and book before my fave rooms get sold out. Thanks again 😁

33 minutes ago, pyropoodle said:

keep in mind, a travel agent might charge you for the service, but a carnival pvp won't.   just a thought

In all my years, I have never seen a TA charge to book a vacation (just a flight maybe...).

• Thanks 1

I think it depends on who you use, I know that some online TAs charge "service fees" , but it's mostly built into the cost.  when you book yourself or use a pvp, the service fees are built in either way, so if you do the work yourself, there is still technically a service fee built into the amount.   I just like talking to someone and we like our pvp.  I've only used a TA once, other than that, I book all my own travel (excluding cruises). so I admit, I don't have a lot of expertise in that area.

Edited by pyropoodle
  • Thanks 1

TA's will not give lower prices, as they are not allowed, but many will throw in extras.  For our magic cruise in 2020, we booked through a big warehouse store, and will be getting $165 cash back when we get back for each of our 2 rooms plus 5% back.  For our last cruise on RCI, we used the same big warehouse store and got $350 cash back, 2 free pop packages, 2 free massages, 2 free dinners at the steakhouse, and approximately $650 worth of free excursions on Royals private island.  On top of this, we also get 5% back as well.

You do loose the ability to call Carnival directly, but that has not been a problem, since they are open 16 hours a day 7 days a week, and somebody is usually waiting for the call.

In the end, you have to decide which way you prefer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pyropoodle said:

maybe 30 years ago, any TA charging a service charge is not in business. Their commissions are paid by the cruise line

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, pyropoodle said:

Not with AAA who we use all the time. Nothing changes. TA's get commission directly from carnival. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, rukkian said:

TA's will not give lower prices, as they are not allowed, but many will throw in extras.  For our magic cruise in 2020, we booked through a big warehouse store, and will be getting $165 cash back when we get back for each of our 2 rooms plus 5% back.  For our last cruise on RCI, we used the same big warehouse store and got $350 cash back, 2 free pop packages, 2 free massages, 2 free dinners at the steakhouse, and approximately $650 worth of free excursions on Royals private island.  On top of this, we also get 5% back as well.

You do loose the ability to call Carnival directly, but that has not been a problem, since they are open 16 hours a day 7 days a week, and somebody is usually waiting for the call.

That's an Amazing Deal!!!!

Lucky! I couldn't find any deals even close to half that!

I booked online and book early saver and then watch for the fares to go down.  As of late it seems the earlier I book, the lowest price has been available.  Haven't received any price drops in a long time.  Since the economy is moving and people are booking cruises, Carnival doesn't have to offer any lower rates to get the rooms booked.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

I booked online and book early saver and then watch for the fares to go down.  As of late it seems the earlier I book, the lowest price has been available.  Haven't received any price drops in a long time.  Since the economy is moving and people are booking cruises, Carnival doesn't have to offer any lower rates to get the rooms booked.

Thanks! That's exactly what we were thinking.  I'm going to book today,  they have early saver $150 on board credit for next 72 hours it said. 

1 hour ago, suzytop said:

That's an Amazing Deal!!!!

Lucky! I couldn't find any deals even close to half that!

My dad used to say if it's too good to be true...…… All my years of cruising never saw any perks close to what Rukkian mentioned.  So let me get this straight, I added all your alleged perks and on a weeks cruise they gave you $930 . :classic_wacko:

• Thanks 1

Thanks! That's exactly what we were thinking.  I'm going to book today,  they have early saver $150 on board credit for next 72 hours it said. 

You can always book with Carnival then shop it around to transfer it to a TA.  See how much obc you can get.  I've gotten from $100 for an inside to $300 for a balcony from a TA I transferred to after I initially booked it myself with the cruise line.  I saw a price drop and just emailed the TA and she took care of getting it for me.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi Suzy

With early saver rate you will have price protection tight up till (I think) two days before sailing. Remember, if you are price matching and the new price does not have an additional OBC, you would lose yours. So, the price drop would need to be more than the OBC you will receive to make it worth applying.

Also, one of the main reasons people don't like booking with the "early saver" rate, is that if you need to make any changes to the booking or cancelling, you will always be paying a penalty. For most this isn't a concern when they are looking for the lowest fare.

have a great cruise 

5 hours ago, rukkian said:

Was that costco?

I was checking specific carnival journeys through Costco and carnival and noticed a price difference of about 300-400$ for balcony room between sites (before Costco obc and card offers), but I also noticed that a lot of inventory is different. for example carnival site has spa balcony and grand suite available while Costco does not.

for example NCL cruise showed exactly same cost (before Costco offers)

14 minutes ago, dubroben22 said:

I was checking specific carnival journeys through Costco and carnival and noticed a price difference of about 300-400$ for balcony room between sites (before Costco obc and card offers), but I also noticed that a lot of inventory is different. for example carnival site has spa balcony and grand suite available while Costco does not.

for example NCL cruise showed exactly same cost (before Costco offers)

Just give them a call, they can see more, and can get any room that is truly available, whether their site shows it or not.