Koningsdam - The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

frbob

I have to admit: I don't watch a lot of TV at home - let alone while on a cruise. I'll sometimes turn it on to look at the forward and aft cameras and I'll agree that the positioning on the wall across from the bed isn't great. This last time out I think I browsed the photos on our account - but you can do that from your phone too.

We don't have a problem with the TV at the end of the bed, as the couch tends to become a storage place for back pack, umbrella, shorts and general going ashore bric-a-brac.  We have developed a habit of leaving it all on the couch and then as we leave our cabin to go ashore, we can glance back and see if we have forgotten anything - as its still lying on the couch.

On 11/19/2018 at 5:59 PM, VermeulT said:

Thank you for your review.  I just booked the K'Dam for Jan 4th.  Was my 5th or worse choice for a ship but the dates & itinerary worked for the group that is going.  I'm interested to see her in person.

We were hesitant at first but spent a wonderful 3 weeks on the ship and have 2 more upcoming cruises on her.  It took a couple of days but we ended up really enjoying the ship.

We had a couple minor complaints such as we found the aft pool small considering it’s a bigger ship;  and my husband is 6’4” so yes, toilet a bit awkward and the shower stall in our Signature suite was smaller than in a regular balcony.  Hence, we have booked regular balcony cabins on the upcoming cruises instead of a Signature or Neptune.  Will see if we like the smaller room and bathroom but larger shower.

I hope you enjoy it.  

Edited by canadianbear
  • Like 1

We were on this cruise and after 300 days of sailing with Holland America. LOVED THE KONINGSDAM. Why! It was like cruising on a different cruise line. We really enjoyed all the new venues whether dining or entertainment.

We were not big on the contemporary art but as recommended by a ship’s officer we walked from top floor down and some of the art was pretty unique.

First thing we noticed was narrower hallways on  Shurbert Deck cabin floors and questioned how a cruiser on a scooter would be able to get past with the Stewards utility carts in the hallways.

We just had a grand time. MDR food was as we expected after 24 Hal Cruises. Our servers were excellent and our dining times were around a hour to and hour and fifteen minutes.

Really enjoyed new dining venues such as Culinary ( no longer after dry dock), Sol De Mer, Dutch Cafe,Tamarind, Pinnacle Grille, New York Deli for pizza and breakfast. Dive Hamburger and other offering were outstanding. Sommelier Dinners were special.

All the entertainment venues exceeded our expectations. Lincoln Center players. Wow! Exceptational musicians, BB King great, Dueling Pianos In Billboard filled up every night. 

We loved the bar;  Notes and the single malt scotch tastings.

We experienced a movie at the big screen in Lido Pool and watched Mama Mia and were impressed how the crew provided pillowing for head and neck and lumbar pillows. Fun time.

We had excellent and popular guest lecturer’s that filled up the World Stage quickly. Arrive early.

All in all we experienced a great cruise and all the new venues made us feel like we were on a new cruise line. Though we also love the other smaller class Hal ships we feel Hal is headed in the right direction for our future cruise experiences.

Looking forward to our Nieuw Statendam cruise in 2020 but have some great Dam cruises booked before. Prisendam, Maasdam and Rotterdam here we come!😁

Edited by aliaschief
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/18/2018 at 12:15 AM, Despegue said:

Back on topic...

*Good:

The Artwork,  most which is actually art, and not replica antiques like most items onboard older vessels, is much better than on previous vessels.

The decoration is more contemporary, but still quite Americana Classic, NOT modern or European contemporary.

The Lido Pool area is gorgeous

Showlounge is unique and a great concept.

Grand Dutch Cafe is fantastic.

Cabin airco can be switched off ( finally!)

NY deli and pizza is a great spot.

* The Bad:

The Icecream station closes at 14:30h. or 15h. And from then-on, the only icecream available is the Gelato for a surcharge.

No more self-service lemonade dispensers. 

Standard Cabins are slightly smaller, with no more adjustable table. Room service becomes unpracticable.

* The Ugly:

Some decoration Still has some way to go to become truly contemporary luxurious without  cheap retirement-home reminders.

You mentioned no self-service lemonade dispensers in the Lido.   Are there any self-service drink dispensers besides water and coffee in the Lido, as on the other HAL ships?  The other ships usually have a variety of juices, (lemonade, cranberry, etc), coffee, & of course, water.  If not can you still get them and are they only served to you?  Appreciate the review.

I remember tea and coffee stations in the Lido plus water/ice dispensers and ice tea. It was always easy to get a drink of lemonade as waiters in the Lido constantly walked around during mealtimes to offer fetching drinks like water, lemonade, ice tea. In the mornings there were lots of different juices to be had at the food stations. Orange juice was almost undrinkable though ( my opinion) as it was diluted heavily, but as a lot of people were having it in the mornings they probably liked it. But the other juices like tomato or cranberry etc. were all right.