newbie beverage question

Travels with Lisa

2 hours ago, Travels with Lisa said:

It's been awhile since I cruised on a ship that wasn't all inclusive.  Does Oceania have you sign for drinks if you don't have a beverage package?  I hate all those little slips!

thanks in advance

Yes they do, the process is  precisely the same as buying a drink ashore, except that:

A) One MUST pay via the Onboard Account

B) There is a mandatory 18% tip.  

beverage-packages.jpg

Enjoy!

3 hours ago, Travels with Lisa said:

It's been awhile since I cruised on a ship that wasn't all inclusive.  Does Oceania have you sign for drinks if you don't have a beverage package?  I hate all those little slips!

thanks in advance

If “hating all those little slips” is very high on your list of likes and dislikes then maybe an all inclusive cruise line might be more to your liking?

While we're on the all-too-familiar drink discussion ... is there any difference in the wine-by-the-glass choices between the House Select package and the Prestige Select package? Does the up-graded package offer a wider/better selection?

8 hours ago, Travels with Lisa said:

thanks in advance

Last time I went on an Oceania cruise one did not have to sign, they sweep your card yes but there was no signing!

3 hours ago, bigmjh said:

While we're on the all-too-familiar drink discussion ... is there any difference in the wine-by-the-glass choices between the House Select package and the Prestige Select package? Does the up-graded package offer a wider/better selection?

No difference, 1 list.

7 hours ago, bigmjh said:

only  difference is  the House select is wine  with Meals only  Lunch/Dinner

the prestige is  anytime anywhere

6 hours ago, Winters Gate said:

Last time I went on an Oceania cruise one did not have to sign, they sweep your card yes but there was no signing!

We  never have the package  & we have to sign  

how would  they know who to charge the drinks to ??

Maybe you had  a package ???

On 11/20/2018 at 8:15 AM, LHT28 said:

only  difference is  the House select is wine  with Meals only  Lunch/Dinner

the prestige is  anytime anywhere

Sorry, I am new to Oceania too and I don't understand this.

Do you mean that if one has the House Bev package, you only get wine (or equivalent) with lunch and dinner? I thought the package meant you could have drinks anytime and wine was always included with meals?

Also, does anyone have a reference point on a bottle of red wine? I am about to do a search, but since I am typing here, thought I'd ask.

Thnaks for any help.

4 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Sorry, I am new to Oceania too and I don't understand this.

Do you mean that if one has the House Bev package, you only get wine (or equivalent) with lunch and dinner? I thought the package meant you could have drinks anytime and wine was always included with meals?

Also, does anyone have a reference point on a bottle of red wine? I am about to do a search, but since I am typing here, thought I'd ask.

Thnaks for any help.

Yes  the House  select package  or the one  as O Life perk  is  wine & beer  with meals only

It is  by the glass only  no bottles  that is  a different package 😉

You  can however upgrade onboard to the Prestige Package  for $20 PP Pd

I posted  some photos of  the wine lists  from last yr  at

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-bnXmLm/i-vnT7RTh

scroll through the photos

the lists/prices are subject to change

50 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

Yes  the House  select package  or the one  as O Life perk  is  wine & beer  with meals only

It is  by the glass only  no bottles  that is  a different package 😉

You  can however upgrade onboard to the Prestige Package  for $20 PP Pd

I posted  some photos of  the wine lists  from last yr  at

https://www.smugmug.com/gallery/n-bnXmLm/i-vnT7RTh

scroll through the photos

the lists/prices are subject to change

Thanks a lot for this, very helpful. We are trying to plan a potential 30 day cruise on Nautica from Cape Town to Singapore in Feb/Mar of 2020, so I need to do a lot of homework on Oceania!

Do I also understand correctly that if you want to purchase bottles of wine you can get a different package? Do you have any info on that?

Edited by NoWhiners
added a question

27 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Do I also understand correctly that if you want to purchase bottles of wine you can get a different package? Do you have any info on that?

Wine by the Bottle++
All bottles are priced at $47.50 (Gratuity Included)
7 bottles of wine are required for each package

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/value/beverage-wine-packages/

You can also take  wine or spirits on at ports  for use in your cabin

Bottle of wine taken to dining venues  will incur  a corkage fee  presently it is $25 per bottle

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Wine by the Bottle++
All bottles are priced at $47.50 (Gratuity Included)
7 bottles of wine are required for each package

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/value/beverage-wine-packages/

You can also take  wine or spirits on at ports  for use in your cabin

Bottle of wine taken to dining venues  will incur  a corkage fee  presently it is $25 per bottle

Many thanks, again!

The actual wines offered in those bottle packages change regularly based on availability. 

You’ll be embarking in SA where some great wine is grown. Stock up there because finding wines along the way after that will be challenging! 

Also ask ask if they are offering any specials on any of the wines. These may be inventory close outs, not in the packages, where the costs may be higher, but still a good deal ( for on a cruise ship).

Ok, my family just signed up for our first Oceania cruise to Bermuda next year. We have done Silversea and Celebrity. 

Somewhat related question. We may not go with a drink package. If we order a cappuccino or any standard drink do we need to show a card?

3 minutes ago, mdpa said:

Ok, my family just signed up for our first Oceania cruise to Bermuda next year. We have done Silversea and Celebrity. 

Somewhat related question. We may not go with a drink package. If we order a cappuccino or any standard drink do we need to show a card?

Cappuccino =no

alcoholic  drink - yes & you sign a chit to pay  for the drink

1 hour ago, pinotlover said:

The actual wines offered in those bottle packages change regularly based on availability. 

You’ll be embarking in SA where some great wine is grown. Stock up there because finding wines along the way after that will be challenging! 

Also ask ask if they are offering any specials on any of the wines. These may be inventory close outs, not in the packages, where the costs may be higher, but still a good deal ( for on a cruise ship).

This is funny--I was saying this to my husband as we read Oceania's policy on bringing on wine. I thought it might be tough to get wine in Mozambique and maybe Thailand :classic_biggrin:

Do we select the wine and number of bottles we want in the wine package (as long as it's at least 7 bottles) or do they tell us what we can have?

Thanks

10 minutes ago, NoWhiners said:

Do we select the wine and number of bottles we want in the wine package (as long as it's at least 7 bottles) or do they tell us what we can have?

Thanks

There  will be  a list in your cabin on embarkation day of  the wines available  in the package

on the link I posted  above  there is  a sample menu of the list

wines will change  depending   what they have onboard

4 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

There  will be  a list in your cabin on embarkation day of  the wines available  in the package

on the link I posted  above  there is  a sample menu of the list

wines will change  depending   what they have onboard

Yes, that list was helpful, just wasn't sure of the details.

Thanks. Need to do more research now...