RCCL & Cuba - Kid Friendly?

Super huge apologies if this is topic has been covered before, but I can't seem to figure out how to narrow down the search function.  (I knew how to on the old version of the website.)

My parents (in their 80s), randomly decided yesterday, that they want to take their children and grandchildren on a Spring Break cruise.  Realistically, it might be the last time that they are able to do this, so we want to look at something a bit unique, but also not too terribly expensive.  The RCCL Cuba cruise is looking very interesting, and I know they would appeal to the teenagers, but not sure about under age 10 grandkids.  The youngest is age 3 and potty-trained.

Is Cuba a good multi-generational option?  Or should we just stick with the standard Bahamas or Cozumel/Costa Maya itineraries?

Also, RCCL would be a new experience for all of us.  The grandparents have only been on NCL, and I would not want them disappointed.

Thank you for any pros or cons that you are willing to share with me.

Remind me to update in about 2 weeks but we're taking a 6 night RCCL Cuba/Bahamas cruise on the Empress with our almost 5 year old and 7 month old next week. We've been on 8(?) RCCL and LOVE them! I've only had 1 bad experience and that was partly due to weather, it was booked through a travel agent and I could have chosen a better room but wasn't involved in the planning, and it was a 3 nighter. RCCL is amazing for kids! 

Do all of the children have passports? Cuba is the one port where you can’t get by with just a birth certificate and ID. Check the requirements for children as I don’t have any.

The ships that go to Cuba are the smallest and oldest and don’t have the bells and whistles that other ships have. Whether or not your kids will kind, I don’t know.

Edited by Alter Ego

There were quite a few families on our October cruise which surprised me as I thought Cuba would not be an itinerary that appealed to families with young children.  Plus, as another poster said, a passport is required, Royal will also charge $75 per person for the required visa. This is charged to your seapass card. 

We enjoyed touring the historical places of Havana but I don’t see it being that interesting for children.  And it was very hot!  I think my grandkids would have been miserable.

Sherri🙂

Very nice to do a multi generation  family trip, but  I would not  select Cuba  Cuba is basically a site seeing trip.  None of the swim with stingrays etc.

The ship is small and  both of our cruises to Cuba ( one on  Empress and one on Majesty) had very few  children.  In fact, the first one on Empress, you could count the kids on your fingers.   

Also - be reminded that EVERYONE getting of  the ship  needs a $75.00 Visa.  On the recent  Cuba cruise, we had breakfast at the hotel with a family of four that had no idea they needed to spend an extra $300 on there Cuba cruise . 

Not sure the tours would hold the interest of kids.    Perhaps you can post your question  on the family threads on CC.

enjoy  - what ever you decide.

M

We traveled to Cuba on Empress in October 2017.  I can't think of a thing that would be of interest to a child, especially a small child.  Depending on the port you will sail from, I would without a second thought recommend the Eastern Caribbean or if time and money not an issue, the Southern Caribbean.  Personally do not care for Western Caribbean.  We sailed Majesty twice in 2018 and again not much that would interest a small child.  Whatever you decide, have a wonderful family trip.

We cruised on the Empress in July 2017 to Key West and Cuba with my daughter who loved it.  She had just turned 8 at the time.  We did a RCCL guided bus tour of the city with several spots at historical places of interest in the morning and a horse and buggy tour downtown in the afternoon.  We also strolled along the malecon admiring the old cars.  She had a great time and stills likes to talk about going to Cuba.  True, the ship is small with not a lot of bells and whistles but she found plenty of things to entertain herself.  Granted she is not a lay on the couch and play video games kind of kid.  It just depends on the child.  I work in a middle school, I know many of my kids would be very interested in the history and culture of a place like Cuba while others would think it was torture to be on a small ship in a "weird" place. I think you just need to know your kids and do your research on what there is to do both on and off the ship to know if it is right for you.  I think you would spend more time together as a family on a ship when there isn't as much going on on board.  Enjoy whatever choice you make!    

• 2 weeks later...

Just got back yesterday from a 6 nighter on the Empress to Cuba and the Bahamas with an almost 5 year old and almost 8 month old. We saw A LOT of families and babies on board! I was weary of the smaller ship since it's been a while since we've done a small one but it was perfect. The interior room was VERY TIGHT with my daughter in a bunk bed and son in a travel crib (provided by the ship) but doable. Adventure Ocean was great and had plenty of activities for my daughter (they need to be 3+ and potty trained). It was a little chilly in December but everyone had fun. The staff was some of the best we've ever had. Havana was ok as a port. We did a tour with Old Car Tours (tripadvisor) and it was great. Havana isn't the typical port. There's some shops and a lot of cars/horses near the terminal. We learned more about the country from talking to the guide than we did seeing places. Onboard there's not too much for kids to do (Adventure Ocean 3-12, arcade, rock wall 6+) but if you're going to a lot of ports then you're not really needing to occupy yourselves too much on the ship. One thing I had read was there wasn't a formal night. WRONG! We DID have one formal night. Lobster night was the last night too.

4 hours ago, Dolphingrrl23 said:

One thing I had read was there wasn't a formal night. WRONG! We DID have one formal night. 

That just started recently with the longer sailings.

Biker, who would recommend against a Cuba cruise for the OP.